205 Live

HarmonicGenerator

I never got the chance to watch 205 Live last week before Mania but the completist in me had to go back and check it out.

Well I'm glad I did because Buddy Murphy and Kalisto TORE. THE. HOUSE. DOWN. Like, MOTY contender. It won't be long before Murphy 'misses weight' because this is the talent that Dolph Ziggler fever dreams he is every night and he must be seen by the masses.

Also, in line with 'all Japanese talent must be heel to flourish', Itami and Tozawa being dickheads to the Luchas has been a pretty gold feud so far. Tozawa's ludicrous 'YOU'RE FIRED!' schtick cracks me up everytime.

Go watch it. Seriously this show is no joke and has become compulsive viewing.

Tozawa/Kalisto from this week is pretty good too. I'll permit you to skip any minutes Tony Neese is involved in because he's dogshit.

• Awards Moderator

Yep, Kalisto vs Murphy was a cracking match. Looking like Murphy might be next in line for a title shot but I’d be fine with him disappearing off the cruisers roster in the Shake Up next week. Imagine him vs Styles!

Anyone know what it was that kept distracting the crowd during Gulak vs Andrews this week?

There was a guy in the last row of the floor sears who had obviously had a good week and fell asleep.  But properly fell asleep, head sagging back over the chair, arms spread out over the empty chairs next to him.  It was quite funny.  Took about 3 minutes then security thought they better check he is actually alive and woke him up.

He enjoyed his short period of fame, getting his photo taken with people and playing up to the crowd, doing the "go to sleep" pose etc.  He's probably already changed his twitter name and got a shirt made so people recognise him at the next shows he goes to.

• Awards Moderator

Bit of an odd one this week. So Murphy has been getting quite over (insofar as anyone can on 205), attacking the new champion, having cracking matches and a bit of interest and build behind him. So this week, he doesn't make weight and that's him out of the picture completely. No opportunity to get back down to 205, no 'will he make it to Saudi Arabia?' ... he's just done.

Have they seen something in Murphy and are sending him over to Raw or SmackDown? Is 205 even associated with Raw anymore? Or is it completely its own brand now? And if so, can it get involved in the Shake Up so that Brian Kendrick can head to SmackDown and have a match with Daniel Bryan?

He’s not completely done, the angle with him since coming in has been him having to go through a weigh in every week to maintain him, he doesn’t make the weight he doesn’t compete

Cracking main event on this weeks show between the Lucha House Party and Tozawa and Itami, I’d they go ahead with bringing in tag titles for the Cruisers then those two teams will be front runners to be maiden champions for sure

Lucha Lads v Tozawa & Itami was so much fun. This show seriously owns at the moment. I'd be well up for a tag division personally. Obviously they need to make some more teams first though.

I wonder if Murphy might attack Spud after continually not making weight or something, I'm assuming the guy's got to step in the ring some day.

• Paid Members

Decent gauntlet match this week if you have 45 minutes to spare. 205 and the CW division in general works so much better when there's a constant theme running throughout the show, whether it's a tournament, gauntlet, qualifiers, etc rather than just matches for matches' sake. 

Ali battling his way past TJP and giving everything before eventually losing to Gulak, but crucially not tapping, was a good way to portray him. Gulak was great throughout, loved the intensity of the battle with Tony Nese. Guessing they are going in a new direction with Nese, cutting the frustrated figure going a crusade for respect/to prove himself etc. 

Alexander vs Kalisto doesn't float my boat, but I'd like to see Gulak get a crack at Alexander (assuming he doesn't drop the belt) after GRR. He'd be an excellent heel champion for the show I think. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah, that Murphy vs Ali match seems to have gone under the radar but it was probably the 205 match I've enjoyed most since the Maverick reboot era began. The satellite DDT to Murphy while he was on the apron was a rare moment of seeing something that I genuinely can't remember ever seeing before.

Edited by Lorne Malvo