• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I remember the King Of the Ring sticker album coming out that summer, and no one was buying the stickers at school. Then Hasbro's pretty much disappeared around the same time and no one was interested. And then Power Rangers came along near the autumn and it was done.

I knew there was a reason why I always fucking hated Power Rangers.

Edited by garynysmon
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

March 26 "I'm pleased to announce the expansion of my pub empire. After years of war, I've taken over the Rovers Return and tonight, you'll see me on BBC and ITV." "''old on, mum.

I heard they tore the house down so much, Will Ospreay set up a GoFundMe for it.

One of Earthquake's children posted a picture on Reddit, and this great story about him was the top reply.  

Posted Images

I work in a factory with 150-ish blokes and even now - 18 years since the name change - I still have people here say to me once or twice a year: "You're into that WWF wrestling aren't you?". 

Today a guy I know who has a teenage son who loves WWE approached me.

We have spoken about wrestling a couple of times before and he has always took the piss, but today he came to my desk and excitedly told me that over the weekend they watched the most awesome match he had ever seen. Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack.

He raved about how brutal it was and "they were definitely real drawing pins" etc., going as far as to ask me if I could recommend some more matches like that on the WWE Network for him & his kid to watch. 

I suggested Cactus Jack vs Triple H at Royal Rumble 2000 and Mick Foley vs Edge at WrestleMania 22.

It's always a good feeling when somebody you know suddenly converts like that.

35 minutes ago, dopper said:

I work in a factory with 150-ish blokes and even now - 18 years since the name change - I still have people here say to me once or twice a year: "You're into that WWF wrestling aren't you?". 

Today a guy I know who has a teenage son who loves WWE approached me.

We have spoken about wrestling a couple of times before and he has always took the piss, but today he came to my desk and excitedly told me that over the weekend they watched the most awesome match he had ever seen. Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack.

He raved about how brutal it was and "they were definitely real drawing pins" etc., going as far as to ask me if I could recommend some more matches like that on the WWE Network for him & his kid to watch. 

I suggested Cactus Jack vs Triple H at Royal Rumble 2000 and Mick Foley vs Edge at WrestleMania 22.

It's always a good feeling when somebody you know suddenly converts like that.

That Cactus/Triple H match at the Rumble converted a lot of people in my year at school into wrestling fans. 

It's quite remarkable how many of us loved the "blood and guts" matches of the time 

Just been watching some stuff recently about how Michaels oversold for Hulk at Summerslam to make a mockery/fun of the situation. Watching as a fan at the time I thought it was brilliant. I didn’t think Michaels was sabotaging. I just thought it was a classic 80s match with my hero Hogan and his punches are so strong they make the opponent bump all over the place. I actually liked it. 

• Paid Members

I watched it back recently, and what really stood out for the first time was less the overselling and more how much of what Michaels is doing is purposefully designed to throw off Hogan's timing. 

He bumps on the first or second punch of a three punch rally, bumps out of the ring instead of to the corner, and so on, and there's clearly a spot where Hogan is meant to blade after hitting his head on the ringpost, but rather than give him time to do it, Michaels is immediately right on top of him. Hogan tries to do the spot again, same thing happens, and they end up back in the ring - Michaels does a "ten punch" spot that ends up with them collapsing onto the mat together, and the ref having to drag Michaels away in order to give Hogan the room to blade himself. In the process, it makes it look like it was Michaels' punches that bust him open, not the ringpost shots. 

• Paid Members
On 10/9/2020 at 6:10 PM, garynysmon said:

I knew there was a reason why I always fucking hated Power Rangers.

Found out yesterday that Kimberly (and I'm sure the rest of the rangers) is now 50.

How has that show nearly been around for 30 years? 

The early build for Warrior vs Rick Rude at Summerslam 90 is shite. There's loads of vignettes of Rude training hard and doing heavy weights, which is fine, but he's wearing disgusting grey sweats that cover up his amazing physique. I reckon they were going for some sort of realism, but I'd have had him glistening in baby oil lifting massive fake weights over this. I'm still watching, so maybe it gets better. 

22 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I watched it back recently, and what really stood out for the first time was less the overselling and more how much of what Michaels is doing is purposefully designed to throw off Hogan's timing. 

He bumps on the first or second punch of a three punch rally, bumps out of the ring instead of to the corner, and so on, and there's clearly a spot where Hogan is meant to blade after hitting his head on the ringpost, but rather than give him time to do it, Michaels is immediately right on top of him. Hogan tries to do the spot again, same thing happens, and they end up back in the ring - Michaels does a "ten punch" spot that ends up with them collapsing onto the mat together, and the ref having to drag Michaels away in order to give Hogan the room to blade himself. In the process, it makes it look like it was Michaels' punches that bust him open, not the ringpost shots. 

Cornette did a great watch along of that match the other week and made a lot of similar points, absolutely right with the amount of little things HBK did to mess Hogan around on top of the overselling 

• Paid Members

I’ve just got to December ‘97 and yeah, underwhelming to say the least. The whole month was. Bret makes his debut on Nitro in a throwaway segment, and Sting returns to the ring after 18 months of build-up in a lacklustre match where he hardly gets any offence in and gets pinned clean after a single leg drop.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’ve just got to December ‘97 and yeah, underwhelming to say the least. The whole month was. Bret makes his debut on Nitro in a throwaway segment, and Sting returns to the ring after 18 months of build-up in a lacklustre match where he hardly gets any offence in and gets pinned clean after a single leg drop.

I actually just watched that show on Sunday, having finished reading the '97 Observer yearbook. 

Bret trots out with barely any fanfare, to be the third most important man in an Eric Bischoff match, and then is involved in the fuckiest botched finish going. Even without his involvement in the main event, it would be generous to call it a damp squib - he could have been any ex-WWF midcarder, not their former top star and champion. 

Out of curiosity, I scrolled through the next few PPVs, and it's ridiculous how quickly he's just mucking about with the TV Title or not making the card altogether. 

He'd just been part of the most talked about finish in wrestling history, walked into WCW with a very real claim of still being the uncrowned WWF Champion, was still a focal point of WWF programming even after he left thanks to how often they referred back to Montreal, and should have been the most significant signing since Hogan. Instead, outside of War Games, he doesn't main event a PPV until November 1998, a full year after the Montreal Screwjob, and then not again for another year. It took him until '99 to win the World Title. Three singles main events in his entire run.