Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Watching Lex Luger Vs VK Wallstreet on an episode of Nitro from 1996. The random thought of wondering if somebody could get the Torture Rack over as a finisher again in this day and age. I could see it suiting the likes of Lars Sullivan these days, rather than doing diving headbutts and not being able to pin the Lucha House Party in his PPV debut. 

Edited by WeeAl

Cass looked in much better shape than before. Said in an interview he was in a depressive slump after WWE and has a clearer head.

In other news - in just over a week we've had Goldberg headbutting and concussing himself, leading to him nearly breaking his neck and dropping The Undertaker on his head. Kota Ibushi taking a German on the ring apron and landing straight on his neck like a fucking idiot. Now, as if to top them all, Aerostar taking a blind dive off a 20 plus ft lighting rig landing straight on his fucking neck. It's 2019. There's just no learning with this lot is there.

I'm expecting Kenny Omega to up the ante once he has national eyes on him, and take one head drop too many.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

In other news - in just over a week we've had Goldberg headbutting and concussing himself, leading to him nearly breaking his neck and dropping The Undertaker on his head. Kota Ibushi taking a German on the ring apron and landing straight on his neck like a fucking hero. Now, as if to top them all, Aerostar taking a blind dive off a 20 plus ft lighting rig landing straight on his fucking neck. It's 2019. There's just no learning with this lot is there.

Fixed that for you. There will be no Ibushi slander on this board.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, AshC said:

Most underrated commentary team in WWE history? I thought Gorilla Monsoon and Johnny Polo had a fantastic chemistry.

Thinking about it, you're right.

The whole of 1994 is just so tainted in my mind as all my mates at school had seemingly dropped wrestling like a bad habbit towards the end of 93, while I was still watching but having to admit that it just wasn't as good as it used to be. I was just so desperate for all my old favourites to come back, even a Typhoon and Nikolai Volkoff appearance got me half excited.

Stan Lane was still fucking appalling though.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Fixed that for you. There will be no Ibushi slander on this board.

I love Ibushi and I think he's incredible, but that spot was about as idiotic a thing as I've seen in wrestling. Could have easily broken his neck, and for a mid-match spot that wasn't even the finish. Although the resultant head injury/damage was weaved into the match it easily could have been done just as effectively without risking his life and/or career. Lets not glorify something so needlessly dangerous. 

• Paid Members

Agreed. Kota Ibushi might be the most talented wrestler on the planet (as well as being absolutely gorgeous!), but that bump at Dominion was way too much and I spent the rest of the match genuinely angry at both guys for even trying it. Completely took me out of the match and killed all enjoyment. For anyone who hasn’t seen it, here is the stupidest spot of the year. 

Idiots.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

What were they going for? There looks to be enough room to do a suplex on the apron which would look devastating but be pretty safe. But they're nowhere near to hitting it right so were they genuinely going for a suplex onto the edge of the apron or even on to the floor?

• Paid Members

I feel the backlash this spot has gotten is a bit of an over-reaction. It's a spot gone wrong; Ibushi was clearly supposed to flip and take the bump on the mat. When you look at the details of the clip, both men under-estimate what is required to make it work. It's a freak accident and luckily Ibushi came out sporting a black eye from a headbutt later on. Going hell for leather on them over that seems pointless.

If this was done on purpose, or Ibushi was meant to spike himself on the apron instead, then I also applaud the bravery of pushing the boundaries of wrestling. It's a big match on a big show, they're going to up the ante and have a few unforgettable moments. No one is coming out of that thinking either Ibushi or Naito are lesser wrestlers doing that. No one thought lesser of Kobashi for doing similar spots, did they?

Remember when Ospreay had a similar accident last March? And every match he's had since then, he's teased the apron spot, leading to some utterly fantastic storytelling and moments. Ibushi and Naito will likely going the same route, getting tons of mileage out of it.

A the end of the day, if two consenting adults feel they are good enough to pull off something like that, then more power to them. It's not some shindy in front of 30 people, it's not some attention-grabbing deathmatch, it's two of the best wrestlers in the world going all out for the fans in attendance and around the world.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Agreed. Kota Ibushi might be the most talented wrestler on the planet (as well as being absolutely gorgeous!), but that bump at Dominion was way too much and I spent the rest of the match genuinely angry at both guys for even trying it. Completely took me out of the match and killed all enjoyment. For anyone who hasn’t seen it, here is the stupidest spot of the year. 

[Tweet]

Idiots.

Jesus Christ. How is Ibushi not in a wheelchair, or worse?

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

It's not some attention-grabbing deathmatch

Honestly, I'd say this attitude isn't helpful. 

Because there's such a taboo, or an ingrained physical response, against blood loss or anything that penetrates the skin, most people would likely look at the barbed wire and light tubes of a "deathmatch" as worse than what Ibushi and Naito did. But the risk of injury from that Naito/Ibushi spot is far higher, and the severity of potential injury is far higher also - it's a real worst case scenario.

The point is less about two of the best wrestlers in the world pulling this off once in a one-off big match, it's about the escalation that comes as a result. When the audience are accustomed to a spot like that, it falls to wrestlers everywhere - not just on shows as big and well paying as a major NJPW show - to up the ante and try and meet, or even exceed, those expectations.

And it's not like this style is without its casualties. Shibata's lucky to be alive, Ibushi's neck is already fucked, and Ospreay's carrying a litany of injuries and prior concussions that are frankly terrifying for a lad barely over 25.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Honestly, I'd say this attitude isn't helpful. 

Because there's such a taboo, or an ingrained physical response, against blood loss or anything that penetrates the skin, most people would likely look at the barbed wire and light tubes of a "deathmatch" as worse than what Ibushi and Naito did. But the risk of injury from that Naito/Ibushi spot is far higher, and the severity of potential injury is far higher also - it's a real worst case scenario.

As a deathmatch fan myself, I did myself no favours with my wording. I know there is far less in terms of severe and long-term injury in Deatmatches as compared to the style that Ibushi, Naito and Shibata work, I was just trying to put an exclamation to my point.

I stand by my opinion that most people are having a bit of an over-reaction to the spot. Would it be the same reaction if they pulled it off successfully? To me it comes across as people having a bit of a moan because they were forced to feel legit concern for somebody, but then didn't know how to get back into the swing of things afterwards.

If these guys want to work this style then I'm not going to complain, as it's a style that I really enjoy. They aren't being forced into it, they aren't working it into every single match and the schedule is there to help their bodies cope with the insanity.

Ibushi is a handsome hero. Incredibly handsome. Incredibly heroic. 

• neil locked this topic