Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

Heenan and Ventura were great colour guys because even though they cheered for the heels they were never afraid to put the faces over as well. Graves is a bit of a throwback to that and JBL tries to be as well, then goes and tends to Lawler after he gets attacked by Ziggler.

JBL tended to Ziggler to put over the gravitas of the act, 'not even JBL can defend this' so didn't mind that, Graves did the same thing really well with the Festival of friendship segment this week.

The week after Lawler though JBL looked like he was about to leap to the defence of fucking Kalisto, which is dreck

going back to the WWF magazine writing stuff months in advance etc I have a memory of the WWF Magazine from the time Hogan was attacked by Earthquake on the Brother Love Show, it may be a Mandela effect thing but I'm sure I remember that the attack shown on TV Hogan didn't have his Hulk Rules t-shirt on, but in the photos in the WWF magazine he did (possibly the other way round) it was over 20 years ago so I may be misremembering it but I seem to remember thinking it was odd at the time - surely it couldn't really be fake? I've still got a box of those magazines in the loft, next time I'm up there i'll have to dig them out and prove myself wrong.

I've been in the loft and located said magazine... did Earthquake attack the Hulkster on the Brother Love show on more than one occasion in 1990? If not I may have uncovered some evidence which will blow this whole wrestling game apart (once I've had the chance to sneakily scan it in at work)

• Paid Members

Heenan and Ventura were great colour guys because even though they cheered for the heels they were never afraid to put the faces over as well. Graves is a bit of a throwback to that and JBL tries to be as well, then goes and tends to Lawler after he gets attacked by Ziggler.

JBL tended to Ziggler to put over the gravitas of the act, 'not even JBL can defend this' so didn't mind that, Graves did the same thing really well with the Festival of friendship segment this week.

The week after Lawler though JBL looked like he was about to leap to the defence of fucking Kalisto, which is dreck

Is that the one where JBL was ready to come to Kalisto's aid, then after the ad break when Daniel Bryan stuck Ziggler in the handicap match he was apoplectic about the way Ziggler was being treated?

Washington made a rape joke on TV and got shitcanned.

Why not hire a black guy with charisma, Abraham Washington I understand why he's in the dog house but a guy like MVP can talk and knows all the moves. Is it just black guys who won't talk back or something?

• Paid Members

sounds about right yeah. Christ he's such a pillock

When he and Cole were on Smackdown it wasn't too bad. Now it just seems like he's there to rip the piss out of Mauro and everybody else. Occasionally he'll try to say something about what's going on in the ring, then he's right back to taking the piss out of people. He doesn't even talk to us about sports news anymore like he used to do. His shouting "I can't wait to see Cena Vs Orton again at Wrestlemania" during the triple threat this week was infuriating. If it wasn't for it being a triple threat that would have been such an obvious case of spoiling the finish.

I hated his commentary for those Carmella matches with jobbers. Shouting at the top of his lungs about the slightly bizarre looks of the jobbers, thinking he's absolutely hilarious when it just waters down the story they're trying to tell.

He can barely even walk without fucking that up these days. Send him to the glue factory and replace him with Aries

• Paid Members

Get the Academy on the phone, tell them we have a winner. Forget your La La Land, this is the best movie of the year.

I read the 1PW book a few years ago, and remember being amused by Andy Simmons ranting about being disrespected by Lance Storm.

To me, he over-reacted a little bit to the fact that Lance forgot (however many years later) what the name of his tag partner that night was:

I thought a gave account of myself, but Lance buried me afterwards on the internet for no reason; he didn't need to do that. I deserved his respect yet he couldn't even be bothered to remember my name. It's not like it would have been that hard to look it up. Fuck you Lance, I have a fucking name and I have a family, I'm not just a piece of shit and I'm not a fucking dog"

4 years later I was listening to Storm's podcast from last week and he answered another question about that, and casually said "I forget who I tagged with that night...".

I could picture Simmons listening to that and going bonkers all over again!

• Moderators

As a kid, thinking wrestling was real, the concept of a "good" or "bad" match didn't really exist for me. Whether two guys were exchanging rest holds, clubs to the back, or intricate counters and reversals, they were trying to win by whatever means suited them at that particular moment, and that was all the drama I needed.

I'd still fast-forward through the likes of Dino Bravo, but that was because I found him boring as a character more than his wrestling. In my mind, they weren't trying to entertain me, so I wasn't judging their performance and readying my scorecards. The only numbers that counted were the 1-2-3.

When I was a kid, my logic of why wrestling was real hinged on Dino Bravo. "If it's fake, why have boring matches?" I couldn't wrap my head around the ridiculous idea that Dino Bravo's matches were like that on purpose.

• Paid Members

going back to the WWF magazine writing stuff months in advance etc I have a memory of the WWF Magazine from the time Hogan was attacked by Earthquake on the Brother Love Show, it may be a Mandela effect thing but I'm sure I remember that the attack shown on TV Hogan didn't have his Hulk Rules t-shirt on, but in the photos in the WWF magazine he did (possibly the other way round) it was over 20 years ago so I may be misremembering it but I seem to remember thinking it was odd at the time - surely it couldn't really be fake? I've still got a box of those magazines in the loft, next time I'm up there i'll have to dig them out and prove myself wrong.

I've been in the loft and located said magazine... did Earthquake attack the Hulkster on the Brother Love show on more than one occasion in 1990? If not I may have uncovered some evidence which will blow this whole wrestling game apart (once I've had the chance to sneakily scan it in at work)

In the original attack, he didn't.

However, there was another Brother Love Show at Summerslam Fever 1990 and on that one, he did.