Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Watching the Hart & Soul DVD and the match with Bret/Owen v the Steiners where all the agents pile in to separate things.... when Gorilla Monsoon spots Pat Patterson, they've edited out the line from the original commentary track about how fat he's got. I found this hilarious, as though someone in the editing suite thought "Oooh, Pat might not like that."

Edited by air_raid

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, air_raid said:

Watching the Hart & Soul DVD and the match with Bret/Owen v the Steiners where all the agents pile in to separate things.... when Gorilla Monsoon spots Pat Patterson, they've edited out the line from the original commentary track about how fat he's got. I found this hilarious, as though someone in the editing suite thought "Oooh, Pat might not like that."

For some reason I vividly remember this. Stan Lane and Gorilla namedropping the agents (Lane mentioning Rene Goulet), and then Monsoon yelling, "Is that Pat Patterson!? Boy did he get fat!"

• Paid Members

Anyone else come to the conclusion that The People's Elbow wasn't actually the Rock's finisher but rather an exclamation point from the most electrifying man? 

Came to the thought while packing this morning, while the Rock Bottom is obviously up there as a way of ending a match, by throwing yourself, your opponent and your body weight down with force and rendering them immobile from a Kayfabe perspective (and the Rock was always a strong dude so you could consider that a simple slam from someone of his power and velocity could end a match) much can also be said for the spine buster he used to set up the elbow. Especially given his American Football background that a running lifting slam could end a match but instead he wants to put an emphasis on it by nailing an elbow to the heart and slaying his opponent.

How I got on this tangent I'm unsure but I feel it's from having someone try and explain why Hogans leg drop wasn't a bad finish to me at the weekend. 

• Paid Members

I think it started out that way, for sure - it was a cocky heel move, it was supposed to be ridiculous that he would take that much time and be that over-dramatic just for an elbow drop, and it was a way of bragging, "I've got you just where I want you, I can take my time". But it got over and, as a babyface, that aspect was more or less dropped - I remember finding it a bit daft when Rock fought Kurt Angle one time, and JR was on commentary screaming "NOBODY KICKS OUT OF THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW~!".

That sort of thing happens a lot, though, when a character trait or move is meant to be something you don't take seriously at first when the wrestler's a heel, but once they turn face, it all changes. If you take John Cena - when he started doing the rapper gimmick, part of the point of it was that it was disingenuous; he was a rich white boy from a well-to-do neighbourhood pretending he was a thug from the streets. But by the time he turned face, he's just playing it straight.

Watching Wrestlemania 22 again, and whilst it does have great sentimental value to me as a show (it was what got me back into wrestling after being lapsed in 2002 and is also the first PPV I ever watched live), it really was the starting point for this 'dem wanz' culture in the crowd wasn't it? I know it happened at Summerslam 2004 but that was an exception whereas the rest of 06 was plagued with dodgy crowds with relation to John Cena.  

Trish/Mickie, Shawn/Vince, Rey/Angle/Orton and Cena/HHH all have the crowd not doing what they're supposed to and the commentators picking up on it. 

Im tempted to say it would've happened anyway but who knows!

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
On 24/09/2017 at 9:56 PM, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Watching Wrestlemania 22 again, and whilst it does have great sentimental value to me as a show (it was what got me back into wrestling after being lapsed in 2002 and is also the first PPV I ever watched live), it really was the starting point for this 'dem wanz' culture in the crowd wasn't it? I know it happened at Summerslam 2004 but that was an exception whereas the rest of 06 was plagued with dodgy crowds with relation to John Cena.  

Trish/Mickie, Shawn/Vince, Rey/Angle/Orton and Cena/HHH all have the crowd not doing what they're supposed to and the commentators picking up on it. 

Im tempted to say it would've happened anyway but who knows!

Classic Chicago crowd combined with the last case of the WrestleMania travelling crowd being in an arena, rather than a stadium. Plus that show was completely mad, especially by the standards of today.

WrestleMania 22 is an interesting one for that. The Trish/Mickie one was a case of the company giving wrestling fans too much credit, the triple threat was a case of the company not giving fans enough credit, and the build-up to the main event saw HHH courting the reaction they got.