Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

home-family-diy-vhs-coffee-table.jpg

I like that but I would have OCD that some of the tapes are in their cases and some aren't. 

Miraculously, considering my mum's legendary clear outs, my VHS tapes remain largely intact. Will never forget coming home from the summer after my first year of university to find my mum had put all my Hasbro's in a bin bag ready to donate to the village school's summer jumble sale. That was a narrow escape.

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

Will never forget coming home from the summer after my first year of university to find my mum had put all my Hasbro's in a bin bag ready to donate to the village school's summer jumble sale. That was a narrow escape.

So how much did you make on her? Enough for a carded Dusty Rhodes I hope.

Steve Blackman appearing in another thread got me thinking, which at this hour can be dangerous, but here goes.

Alternate history time: Cutting his WWF run short, Steve ends up in ECW, introduced by Cyrus on behalf of The Network. Due to a diversity initiative, it is claimed that he is 63% African American and, given the middle nickname "The Token," he is randomly slotted into various tag matches between wrestlers engaged in feuds that don't concern him.

Goodnight.

• Paid Members

This may well have been discussed at the time, but the whole Jinder physique thing - most of what I remember reading on here at the time was along the lines of 'size of the cunt' 'bet vince is wanking!' And lots of talk post title win of gets on roils, wins the belt etc

Given the India expansion and what not, is it possible Jinder was approached well in advance and told 'sort your look out' and indeed given notice to transform rather than be rewarded for doing so?  

Secondly, whenever there's talk of the glory years, here, on twitter or anywhere else for that matter, DiBiase, Perfect, Rude even the likes of Honky Tonk Man feature regularly - one name I have fond memories of watching but who never seems to be spoken of in the same light is Texas Tornado.

is there a particular reason for that? Was 10yr old me just taken in by physique and a cool finisher? Was he actually turd? Just find it odd that he seems as heavily featured in any video covers and such from back in the day, yet I rarely hear a sausage about him in retrospec

• Paid Members

Not sure if you're being serious John?

Kerry Von Erich's WWF run was pretty brief but there's a whole WWE documentary out about the territory where he and his family were big time players.

In a land of colourful personalities like his most famous opponent Mr Perfect, the Texas Tornado as a character bored me to tears. He enriched my life as a young British WWF fan about as much as Dino Bravo had before him.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Not sure if you're being serious John?

Kerry Von Erich's WWF run was pretty brief but there's a whole WWE documentary out about the territory where he and his family were big time players.

Totally mate.  I know the Von Erich's generally get a lot of press and carry weight, its just that character specifically I don't hear mentioned in the same company as the other IC level guys of the time, like you say, perhaps the brevity of his tenure maybe? or, as as Zeb points out, he was dull as fuck.  

10 year old Matrix was all about the physique back then so i'm not surprised to learn I may have fonder memories of a guy like that than others.

• Paid Members

Kerry was great but he didn't get much of a chance to show it whilst he was in the WWF.

If he could have kept his shit together, not lost his foot (or fucked it up after surgery if the dirt thread's to be believed) and not killed himself, he had the look and ability to have been at least the level of Lex Luger.

• Paid Members

Kerry was considerably past his prime by the time he was Texas Tornado, had little of the qualities left that made him a star back in Texas, and was simply overshadowed by everyone around him in early '90s WWF; he looked to little boy BomberPat like a rubbish Ultimate Warrior, and who gives a shit about that when the actual Ultimate Warrior is knocking about?

• Paid Members

I'll never forgot when I first saw Kerry in WWF and, physically, I remember being completely blown away by what a superstar Kerry looked like. Obviously as a 80s/90s kid, the better physique meant you were on the bus with Arnie. I'll also never forget being disappointed by how average he became once he started the wrestling part.

In terms of a classic Vince-approved look, Kerry was top 5, IMO.

• Paid Members

That Survivor Series match he had with all the different "Warriors"(Ultimate, Road Warriors and the Tornado) showed why he isn't thought of as well as others. The Warrior and LOD made him look about as charismatic as Lance Storm in comparison...

Also, I can't remember any matches or storylines he had in the WWF that would stand out as a classic, unlike Perfect, Million $ Man and Rude etc...

• Paid Members

I loved Tornado. SummerSlam 90 was my first PPV and holds a ridiculous amount of nostalgia for me - including Kerry's brilliant little promo in that magnificent accent and great win over perfect. Unfortunately the follow up feud with Dibiase never came to anything and he got lost in the shuffle.

I was thinking of starting a thread about the best year of PPV openers recently. For me, 1991 absolutely kills it. Rumble and WM are obvious ones but the SummerSlam opener is a beauty and the babyface team were all adored by me. Survivor Series opener has a shit finish but is a riot of colour and I adored it hugely as a kid. Watched it recently and it's still ace.