Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

The only thing I have to add to this conversation is that punch in the Punk vs Ziggler match at a Royal Rumble a few years back where I legit thought Punk had popped him for real.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, sj5522 said:

Big Show blatantly has the best punch as he's the only one who wins matches with one. 

Yeah but if you count all the punches he doesn't win with then he's more massively inconsistent than anything.

Just been watching WWF 2000 again on the network and am in the midst of the Rikishi reveal as to who ran down Austin. One thing I was wondering is does anyone know who originally was meant to have been the one who ran him down?

As shocking as Rikishi was at the time of the reveal, in hindsight it was a terrible reveal and it feels like they almost went back to Triple H putting him up to it- was the plan always for Triple H to be the accomplice as such? The way thing we're going at the time it didn't feel that way.

i remember even as a lad at the time, I always thought it'd be Billy Gunn - he was there at Survivor Series but wasn't seen at the scene when DX lured Austin in - was he meant to the the original one who did it and they changed their mind?

the build up to the reveal is really good hit everything after is terrible. Shame really 

• Paid Members

IIRC, HHH was always going to be the real mastermind, but they knew Austin's return match would do big business against anyone, so the idea was to do the Rikishi match and still be able to have the grudge element for the Triple H match the next month. 

On the flipside of the argument, worst puncher ever is surely either Sid - his strikes with Vader during the show-closing brawl of IYH: Mind Games are making me cringe as I think about them right now -  or Great Khali, who was just terrible at everything. At the moment, I'd say Dean Ambrose is up there as one of the worst active punchers in wrestling (in the ring - outside of it he's punching excellently with Renee).

Cena's look terrible at times as well - notably here.

5AfCxtx.gif

• Paid Members

Does anyone else feel like they've wasted massive momentum by not capitalising on Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate following their match of the year contender on the last Takeover? I keep seeing Dunne advertised for all these UK shows and can't help but feel like WWE have missed their opportunity to strike when the iron was hot. 

Edited by Supremo

6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Does anyone else feel like they've wasted massive momentum by not capitalising on Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate following their match of the year contender on the last Takeover? I keep seeing Dunne advertised for all these UK shows and can't help but feel like WWE have missed their opportunity to strike when the iron was hot. 

In theory yes, but I can't really think of any examples of WWE being able to strike while the iron was hot. They can present people as a huge deal on the small shows then it just kinda fizzles on the main show after an initial pop. Both guys are still young, so they are probably best left simmering and building their reputation elsewhere so they come off as a big deal when they do appear on WWE TV.

I think it mainly boils down to WWE still not having a clue what to do with the UK just yet 

21 hours ago, JNLister said:

IIRC, HHH was always going to be the real mastermind, but they knew Austin's return match would do big business against anyone, so the idea was to do the Rikishi match and still be able to have the grudge element for the Triple H match the next month. 

I was under the impression that they ran Austin over without really having an "out" - they knew his return was a good year off and figured they'd think of something closer to the time.

In the month or two before, HHH was on his way to turning face with The Love Triangle as Steph was supposed to end up with Kurt - thus it was surely impossible to be the bloke who was behind it as he'd just turned face, in theory.

In answer your your question I don't really know. I've just rambled on for no reason. It was Steph's first major booking decision to turn Rikishi though I think.

I'd have picked Jericho.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, when they actually did the running over it was just a way to get Austin out of the match. The Rikishi deal came about when Austin was ready to return and they needed to figure out an explanation.

• Paid Members
On 16/07/2017 at 9:56 PM, Supremo said:

205 Live could do with a few more names to put Neville over.