Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Christ. I just bought it up on Network. The YetAY running in and grinding himself against The Giant with Hogan as the filling in the sandwich.

Heenan then says 'you'll never see anything like this on PPV again.'. Crikey he's right. It's dross.

Ian's right. Hogan looks a tit as well.

Vampiro seemed to always have awesome theme songs in WCW. Whenever he pops up on screen, I dig his ring entrance so much, he has a good presence for about 30 seconds. It's really a shame he ever had to do anything else, because it's all she wrote after that.

Rewatching Flair v Michaels WM24. Didn't appreciate it at the time but Flair got himself in great shape for that match. I seemed to remember him as a flabby old git by that point. Am I getting confused with his later TNA run?

Was thinking yesterday that the United States title is coming up on being the singles belt with the longest running design disregarding minor adjustments. 

If I have my maths correct which i'm sure will get picked apart!

The winged eagle was around 10 years - 1988 to 1998

The classic IC belt was about 13 years - 1985 to 1998

The oval IC belt was about 13 years as well - 1998 to 2011

The only singles belt I can think of that tops it would be the big gold but in WWE it only had 11 years straight and 12/13 in total depending upon how you categorize this.

The only design inside the company to stay similar for longer was the original tag belts somewhere from 84-85 all the way to 2002 so around 17 years.

The US title is now been pretty much the same from 2003 - 2017. 14 years with the thing makes me want an updated one, I heard they were going to have a new one for Roman but it never materialized. 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, simonworden said:

Was thinking yesterday that the United States title is coming up on being the singles belt with the longest running design disregarding minor adjustments. 

If I have my maths correct which i'm sure will get picked apart!

The winged eagle was around 10 years - 1988 to 1998

The classic IC belt was about 13 years - 1985 to 1998

The oval IC belt was about 13 years as well - 1998 to 2011

The only singles belt I can think of that tops it would be the big gold but in WWE it only had 11 years straight and 12/13 in total depending upon how you categorize this.

The only design inside the company to stay similar for longer was the original tag belts somewhere from 84-85 all the way to 2002 so around 17 years.

The US title is now been pretty much the same from 2003 - 2017. 14 years with the thing makes me want an updated one, I heard they were going to have a new one for Roman but it never materialized. 

It depends if you count that brief spell where Cena had a sparkly spinny version of the belt or not!

I think they've got it spot on with the US belt, though when it debuted I probably thought it was too gaudy. Can't see any aesthetic reason to change it now, but I'm sure they will once the accountants draw up a graph showing potential merchandise profits.

4 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It depends if you count that brief spell where Cena had a sparkly spinny version of the belt or not!

I'm hanging on a thread with my point as it is so let's say I don't as it was a gimmick title.

I think the thing with the US title for me is i've never loved it or hated it. It looks decent enough and it probably isn't top pick for toy belts anyway so no point changing it. Surprised during Cena's US title runs they didn't revamp it though while it was prominent. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The old WCW-style US title belt is one of the most underrated belts. Looks lovely. 

This. Loved this version of the belt when it was in WCW and especially when it surfaced for a little while during the Invasion. I'm also particularly fond of the current (old style) Intercontinental Championship belt. So much better than the dodgy thin one that was around in the 2000's.

3 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

TNA's belt is lovely. Always looks good on whoever wears it (apart from Chris Sabin).

As nice as the current title is I'm not sure why they ditched the eagle belt, but both are lovely indeed.

I remember Rule One in his fantastic belt thread a few years ago saying that the Eagle belt had basically been either poorly made or poorly handled and smashed to pieces. If you can find any footage of it towards the end, especially when Eric Young was parading around with it after it was replaced by the current version you can see how bashed up it looked.