Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

How is it possible for anyone to dislike this man? Yeah, there are some questionable stories of his backstage politicking and squandering 'pushes', and his superman booking put a lot of people off the WWE product, but he is so bloody entertaining at everything else that you instantly forgive him.

I like the guy a lot, he seems really nice, and he's one of the best workers and promos in the business ever. But yeah - the character and the way he's booked is one of the reasons I switched off. I'd probably enjoy hanging out with the guy, then stay in the pub while he goes off to work on RAW (or whichever programme he's on now).

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Watching ECW November to Remember '98 over the last few days, and ECW really had to be the best example of successful marketing in wrestling history?

It's basically old Memphis angles plus an extra helping of misogyny and swearing, yet it really managed to get over as a groundbreaking, unique new product. I laughed out loud at the realisation that, on PPV at the height of their powers, the trendy Philadelphia hardcore promotion put Tracy Smothers vs. Tommy Rogers on their biggest show of the year. A match that could have been on the midcard of any Tennessee or Georgia show of the '80s, or a WCW B-show in the early '90s, and it's making the cut for ECW's biggest card in 1998. And Tommy Rich is at ringside.

(None of this is a criticism, by the way - give me a blank chequebook, and I'm booking all the Memphis old-timers I can get my hands on)

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
On 2/9/2019 at 1:01 PM, Supremo said:

Was coming in here to post about that OTT hype video. Fucking hell that's a work of art. I don't know who is behind those videos but they're the best in the business right now. Get on this. Incredible.

Bringing this over from the YouTube thread as I've watched this match last night.

And boy oh boy, does it fucking deliver! My MOTY so far, and it's going to take some beating. 

Everything from the entrances, Starr's ring attire, the crowd, commentary, the match itself...

Quintessential pro wrestling.

The card is really bloody good too. I've got three more matches to watch later on and I think it's going to be my current show of the year after it's all said and done. 

OTT are going to have a brilliant year if they keep at this level. Possibly the best company in Europe.

Edited by Accident Prone

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 3/3/2019 at 4:20 PM, UK Kat Von D said:

I like this. I assume some of you might like this as well 

Lenny & Carl as the Acolytes/APA is inspired. 

• Paid Members

If you ever want a concrete example of how shocking commentary standards are in WWE, watch Jim Cornette's MLW debut on YouTube. It's nearly impossible not to get pulled into the action with the way dear Jim sells you everything with such enthusiasm and nailed on instincts. Raw would be exponentially more watchable if they had Jim about selling all their guff.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Precisely how many cases of attempted murder would I have to sit through on this particular episode of MLW in order to catch Corny on commentary? 

21 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

If you ever want a concrete example of how shocking commentary standards are in WWE, watch Jim Cornette's MLW debut on YouTube. It's nearly impossible not to get pulled into the action with the way dear Jim sells you everything with such enthusiasm and nailed on instincts. Raw would be exponentially more watchable if they had Jim about selling all their guff.

I don’t follow MLW but I’m pleased to hear he’s doing well. 

Cornett’s review of the Lafayette Raw a few weeks back is the most effortlessly brilliant dissection of a wwe show I’ve ever seen/heard. Fuck it, Bruce is back, already doing gang busters with that Batista segment, bring back  Corny too. He’s clearly still got a mind for it. Shame he’s a mouthy blowhard and seems to drive everyone away.

• Paid Members

Given the way things have progressed since they split the brands, and with one of the titles now headlining Wrestlemania, I wonder if WWE regrets not mirroring the WWE Champion/Universal Champion naming convention on the women’s side?

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Statto said:

Given the way things have progressed since they split the brands, and with one of the titles now headlining Wrestlemania, I wonder if WWE regrets not mirroring the WWE Champion/Universal Champion naming convention on the women’s side?

They probably realised how awful “Universal” champion sounds and decided not to make the same mistake twice. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

There should be a stable called The Algorithms who pop up in skits trying to sell wrestlers items they've just mentioned. Could be huge in the run up to TLC. 

Could just go really close to the knuckle and have a Zuckerberg lookalike pop up: “I thought you might be interested in this…”

”I’m sick of that Mark…”

Edited by Your Fight Site