PowerButchi

Random Thoughts III.

Pasting this because MOJ doesn't post here any more. In a thread about a video recorder he had as a kid that gave crystal clear freeze frames:

Has this ever come up before? I don't recall anyone spotting white flashes until now. What a scandal! Like thigh-slapping, but right into our brains.

edit: actually, seeing as it was on live PPVs too, I'm wondering if it was camera flashes. I read a thing recently where the WWE do the camera flashes of their official photographers with the arena house lights, for some reason.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

edit2: solved by John Lister.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

I was watching a Raw review thing on YouTube where the subject again came up about wrestlers wearing their gear backstage when they're not listed to compete. I hadn't thought about it until now but, kayfabe-speaking, shouldn't all faces be in their gear because they're ready to compete at a moment's notice against anyone, and all heels should be in jeans or a suit so they can make the excuse of not being ready? Has/does this actually happen in any promotion?

Apologies for the self-plug, but I wrote something about the increasing homogenisation/standardisation of wrestling across the world - from NJPW's appeal to western markets, WWE's move away from aspects of the conventional "WWE style" and towards a more mid-00s indie-influenced approach, touching on everything from the UWFi to Pro Wrestling: EVE to the ECW/WWF/USWA feud along the way. I also touch on the bits of AEW I'm actually excited about, so it's not all negativity.

I'm actually quite proud of this, and it's exact a summary of my feelings toward modern wrestling as I think I've ever managed to put together, so would appreciate if you gave it a read;

http://www.imaintainthedoublefootstompissilly.com/styles-clash-wrestling-without-ideologies-and-the-homogenisation-of-pro-wrestling/

27 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Did they know the domain was going to accidentally include the word piss?

Reminds me of the disappointed patrons of stationary company Pen Island when they guess that a mere dot com will lead them to fountain pens.

Why does a triple threat automatically have become a no-DQ affair? (In WWE at least). Is it because of there only being one fall allowed so it can't be a DQ? Couldn't you just say if someone does something DQable, they're eliminated from the match and it continues 1-on-1?

58 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Why does a triple threat automatically have become a no-DQ affair? (In WWE at least). Is it because of there only being one fall allowed so it can't be a DQ? Couldn't you just say if someone does something DQable, they're eliminated from the match and it continues 1-on-1?

I think the idea behind that rule is to allow a clean finish in a match where they don't want to beat at least one (but probably two) of the participants. 

We get so many DQ finishes as it is in singles matches due to wanting to protect both people, that I'm pretty glad it's the way it is. 

The draw back comes when titles transition from the champion to the new champion without the holder being involved in the fall. Unless that helps set up the new program between the winner and the unbeaten champion, then it may not give the winner as big of a boost as it would if they beat the holder to win the belt (although I guess that's completely in theory, and it really depends on who is involved more than anything). 

Edited by WeeAl

My cultural awareness is so bad that I was genuinely staring at this for a few seconds and wondering where Eric Bischoff was.

Screenshot 2019-02-13 at 14.58.28.png

12 hours ago, hallicks said:

You could, and no doubt they would if they had a narrative reason for it, but for the most part they want the three-way drama at the finish so they'd not want to use a DQ to make it a singles match. And triple threat matches started being used a lot in the attitude era, where it gave them a reason for chairshots and whatnot. They could still do it as a rule change, I'm just not sure what it would gain.

31 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

You could, and no doubt they would if they had a narrative reason for it, but for the most part they want the three-way drama at the finish so they'd not want to use a DQ to make it a singles match. And triple threat matches started being used a lot in the attitude era, where it gave them a reason for chairshots and whatnot. They could still do it as a rule change, I'm just not sure what it would gain.

It doesn't really gain them anything, it's more about making them tighten up on storytelling. Why not just start the match with a sledgehammer in your hand if all bets are off at the end? I just think, triple threats are always treated like a normal match but with an extra person, but there's always an easy way out, whether it's chair shots, low blows, outside interference, etc. Robert Tepper was clearly never in a triple threat match. 

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

It doesn't really gain them anything, it's more about making them tighten up on storytelling. Why not just start the match with a sledgehammer in your hand if all bets are off at the end? I just think, triple threats are always treated like a normal match but with an extra person, but there's always an easy way out, whether it's chair shots, low blows, outside interference, etc. Robert Tepper was clearly never in a triple threat match.¬†ÔĽŅ

I think that's a fruitless road of thinking to go down with wrestling, because by the same token, why not start a no-DQ match with a shotgun in your hand? Why did Ric Flair's mates wait for twenty minutes to come running down the aisle and save his title? There's too much shit that falls apart if it's bound by logic. It's too ingrained in the fabric of WWE now to change it as well. A new promotion could try running without wrestling's illogical old tropes, but they'd have to come up with new ways to achieve the same responses.

Edited by King Pitcos

6 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I think that's a fruitless road of thinking to go down with wrestling, because by the same token, why not start a no-DQ match with a shotgun in your hand? Why did Ric Flair's mates wait for twenty minutes to come running down the aisle and save his title? There's too much shit that falls apart if it's bound by logic. It's too ingrained in the fabric of WWE now to change it as well. A new promotion could try running without wrestling's illogical old tropes, but they'd have to come up with new ways to achieve the same responses.

Yeah it's true, I know it's not it in the spirit of things. I just think it looks weak because they never mention it until something DQable is about to happen... which is pretty much every time, at which point Michael Cole will pop up with "No DQs in triple threat match rules, of course!" 

12 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Remember the Triple Threat where Austin was in the Crossface and the Walls of Jericho at the same time and was tapping out. They could have used the elimination rule there but the ref waved it off and kept the match going because he couldn't declare a winner.

Fast forward to NXT. Sami Zayn, Samoa Joe and Baron Corbin are in a triple threat. Same thing happens. Ref ends the match amid confusion (leads to the awesome Sami vs Joe 2 out of 3 falls episode).

As long as they keep it consistent I don't care. 

17 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

Remember the Triple Threat where Austin was in the Crossface and the Walls of Jericho at the same time and was tapping out. They could have used the elimination rule there but the ref waved it off and kept the match going because he couldn't declare a winner.

Fast forward to NXT. Sami Zayn, Samoa Joe and Baron Corbin are in a triple threat. Same thing happens. Ref ends the match amid confusion (leads to the awesome Sami vs Joe 2 out of 3 falls episode).

As long as they keep it consistent I don't care. 

Reminds me of one of my most hated finishes in company history - Rock vs HHH vs X-Pac for the I title the night after Fully Loaded 98. Rocky takes a walk and gets counted out. Tony Chimel forced to simply announce "The Rock has lost this match" in lieu of a winner because.... well, did they both win, or what??

Very close to the time the Outlaws were somehow able to win a multi-team by pinning each other. Fucking Russo, man.

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

Reminds me of one of my most hated finishes in company history - Rock vs HHH vs X-Pac for the I title the night after Fully Loaded 98. Rocky takes a walk and gets counted out. Tony Chimel forced to simply announce "The Rock has lost this match" in lieu of a winner because.... well, did they both win, or what??

Very close to the time the Outlaws were somehow able to win a multi-team by pinning each other. Fucking Russo, man.

Ah, the match were they technically¬†won and lost at the same time They used to love doing that bit¬†in Four Way Tag matches¬†where the faces were able to get the heel partners to face each other. This match actually went through with what 13 year old me would say of ‚Äúwell why doesn‚Äôt he just pin him?‚ÄĚ, but that then makes your faces look a right bunch¬†of gimps for letting it happen