Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

10 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Well, life has changed dramatically today. Voices of Wrestling has a podcast called "Music of the Mat" where two musicians (not famous ones, just guys who known the song structure of these things) discuss a wrestlers history of theme songs, and breakdown the progression of it. Well, they discuss Bret Hart's first WCW theme, and I had no clue that the main part is a talk box with Jimmy Hart (I assume) going "HIT-MAN, WOAH! HIT-MAN, WOAH!" over and over. You cant unhear it.

Definitely right. Isn't that an old musical trick where you write the music so that they fit the name of the show or theme? For instance, the Blind Date theme tune can have have "Blind Date! Blind Date! Blind Date, Blind Date, Blind Date!" sung along to it even though there aren't any lyrics.

Who was the English wrestler that was scheduled to debut on SmackDown and feud with the Undertaker in around 04/05 ? And was he any good?

Can't for the life of me remember his name. Was around the same kinda time as Burchill was on TV.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was Hade Vansen. Although I think it was a little after '05, because I'm pretty sure I saw him in an FWA show in 2005.

He wasn't bad - he stood out a bit in his later time on the BritWres scene because he worked in a fair bit of character, which not many guys in the UK were doing at the time. Stuff like singing while beating up his opponent, doing a "target-finding shotgun" gesture before buzzsaw-kicking an opponent, and just generally doing the arrogant urban cock-end gimmick. His music, though shit, stood out as it was dirty drum n' bass amid a sea of generic heavy metal and rock, but it also matched his "South City Thriller" character.

In-ring, outside the character work, he was quite generic indy, though. At the very least, he managed to move away from being a Poundshop Low-Ki, or a Low-Low-Ki, if you will. Basically, he was a guy with a bit more of a clue than a lot of his contemporaries, but he never managed to put it all together, or maybe wasn't given the chance to.

EDIT: Found his theme!

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

It's Rumble and Takeover weekend! So for those of you who want a bit of a taster, I've thrown together a short list of 'Before They Were Superstars' matches to check out to get you in the mood;

Tommy End (Aleister Black) vs Tommaso Ciampa – AAW Hell Hath No Fury, 04/10/2015 - Highspots Network (&9.99 per month)

Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano - EVOLVE 10: A Tribute To The Arena, 14/01/2012 - Club WWN ($9.99 per month)

Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano - WWN Live! in Beijing, 16/11/2014 - YouTube

Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno)  vs. Matt Riddle - EVOLVE 57, 20/03/2016 - Club WWN ($9.99 per month)

Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno)  vs. Matt Riddle - EVOLVE 71, 16/10/2016 - Youtube

Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno)  vs. Matt Riddle - EVOLVE 73, 13/11/2016 - Club WWN ($9.99 per month)

War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) vs reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) - ROH on SBG #138, 05/04/2014 - Honor Club (Various tiers, starts at $9.99 per month)

War Machine (Hanson & Ray Rowe) vs reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) - PCW/ROH SuperShow Of Honor #2  Show 3, 28/11/2015 - PCW On-Demand (£5.99 per month)

War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) vs reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) - AAW Killers Among Us 2017, 17/06/2017 - Highspots Network (&9.99 per month)

AJ Styles vs. Bryan Danielson - ROH Dissension, 28/01/2006 - YouTube

(There's also a FANTASTIC AJ/Danielson match from ROH Main Event Spectacles in 2003, but I'm unsure as to whether it's on Honor Club. Maybe @MPDTTcan have a look and let us know. I'd subscribe for a month just to watch that match again).

• Paid Members

The fact that the marquee matches at Takeover have almost all taken place already on (reasonably high profile) indie shows is pretty telling about the direction of travel. Have you done anything like this for previous Takeovers?

It would be interesting (to me at least) to see how that dynamic changes over time, as NXT (or at least, the TV product) has shifted further away from being a development territory and towards being a WWE-sanctioned "indie" product.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The fact that the marquee matches at Takeover have almost all taken place already on (reasonably high profile) indie shows is pretty telling about the direction of travel. Have you done anything like this for previous Takeovers?

It would be interesting (to me at least) to see how that dynamic changes over time, as NXT (or at least, the TV product) has shifted further away from being a development territory and towards being a WWE-sanctioned "indie" product.

This my first time doing this kind of post and I'll probably carry on with other Takeovers too as I too find it interesting to see the change in style and booking. The first few takeovers are mainly based on homegrown talent mixing it in with seasoned, well traveled wrestlers and it's slowly morphed over time. I think the more permanent move to arenas instead of Full Sail really nudged them in that direction.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I've always argued this. Its all a matter of opinion, although you can't argue against it from a business standpoint. But when it boils down to it, NXT really is nothing more than a blatant attempt to step on the toes of existing smaller companies and indies and to squeeze out even more of a market share.

Their biggest achievement has been to con so many fans into believing that NXT is acceptable even if they don't like the"big bad corporate WWE." Very clever really.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Their biggest achievement has been to con so many fans into believing that NXT is acceptable even if they don't like the"big bad corporate WWE." Very clever really.

It's not about acceptability. It's them looking to capitalise on people who want something different to what Raw is week to week and providing it in house. It's no different to what their version of ECW should have been given the market at the time.

That said, has there ever been any proof that the "NXT Universe" is made up of a considerably different audience to the main shows? Given the audience is down to hardcores, I can't imagine too many people only watch NXT.

3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

It's Rumble and Takeover weekend! So for those of you who want a bit of a taster, I've thrown together a short list of 'Before They Were Superstars' matches to check out to get you in the mood;

Tommy End (Aleister Black) vs Tommaso Ciampa – AAW Hell Hath No Fury, 04/10/2015 - Highspots Network (&9.99 per month)

Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano - EVOLVE 10: A Tribute To The Arena, 14/01/2012 - Club WWN ($9.99 per month)

Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano - WWN Live! in Beijing, 16/11/2014 - YouTube

Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno)  vs. Matt Riddle - EVOLVE 57, 20/03/2016 - Club WWN ($9.99 per month)

Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno)  vs. Matt Riddle - EVOLVE 71, 16/10/2016 - Youtube

Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno)  vs. Matt Riddle - EVOLVE 73, 13/11/2016 - Club WWN ($9.99 per month)

War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) vs reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) - ROH on SBG #138, 05/04/2014 - Honor Club (Various tiers, starts at $9.99 per month)

War Machine (Hanson & Ray Rowe) vs reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) - PCW/ROH SuperShow Of Honor #2  Show 3, 28/11/2015 - PCW On-Demand (£5.99 per month)

War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) vs reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) - AAW Killers Among Us 2017, 17/06/2017 - Highspots Network (&9.99 per month)

AJ Styles vs. Bryan Danielson - ROH Dissension, 28/01/2006 - YouTube

(There's also a FANTASTIC AJ/Danielson match from ROH Main Event Spectacles in 2003, but I'm unsure as to whether it's on Honor Club. Maybe @MPDTTcan have a look and let us know. I'd subscribe for a month just to watch that match again).

Doubt it....there isn't much on HC pre Sinclair

On 1/25/2019 at 6:01 PM, garynysmon said:

I've always argued this. Its all a matter of opinion, although you can't argue against it from a business standpoint. But when it boils down to it, NXT really is nothing more than a blatant attempt to step on the toes of existing smaller companies and indies and to squeeze out even more of a market share.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

On 1/25/2019 at 6:01 PM, garynysmon said:

Sorry, but that’s bullshit. I prefer NXT, because it is one hour a week with no adverts, compared to Raw and Smackdown. I prefer the fact people don’t get over exposed and there is a fresh rotation of talent. We don’t see the same matches a million times. They have fewer titles. They have fewer big events making Takerover actually mean something. Talent seem to have more influence on their characters. They have the right mix of squash matches and high quality matches. I could go on and on.

It is very obvious why people would prefer NXT, and it isn’t because they have been tricked into thinking it isn’t part of the WWE machine. If someone prefers Indy wrestling, they will enjoy the type of product that the NXT bubble exists within.