Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I've got a soft spot for Justin; I first discovered ECW in 2000 thanks to Bravo (I've also got Bravo to thank for their splendid array of skin flicks that were shoveled out on late Saturday nights) and at the time he was their champ and focal point. So I really dug his heel work, 'edgy' aura, theme music and catchphrase as I was fucking dingus BUT I was a targeted dingus.

Then when I started to buy ECW shows very shortly after, he always had a good showing on them which helped his position as a top dog for me. The first four ECW PPVs I saw, in this exact order, were; Guilty As Charged 2000, November To Remember 1999, Heatwave 1998 and Living Dangerously 1998. In all four of those shows, he was in entertaining matches that had story and build to them and he was pushed as someone to pay attention to. Special mention goes to the HW'98 match with Jerry Lynn, which is a certifiable banger of late of 90's North American wrestling.

It's easy to look back and see that he was being carried in matches and/or his matches relied heavily on gimmicks and plunder. However, he was booked incredibly well (mind the pun) and always came off as a star for ECW. Whilst some of the more old-school ECW fans may have disliked him, and he didn't get the same shine in WWF, he did the job in terms of getting new fans invested in the modern ECW product. 

Still not a fan of him beating Sasuke though.

• Paid Members

i'll echo what Accident Prone said, when those initial ECW VHS tapes came out, Credible nearly always on top and i was a fan. I dug through the older stuff of ECW whilst following the promotion full on in those last 2 years and Credible was a huge part of it. Shame to see the state hes in these days.

He has his own Jake Roberts-esque documentary coming out too.

• Paid Members

Credible (plus entourage) was a very good heel act as an up and comer and The Impact Players were excellent as both antagonists and as half of some great tag matches. The split and acceleration to World Champion in the wake of the Awesome/Tazz fiasco was way too soon however and he was exposed as not "the guy" before losing it to Steve Corino who was even less "the guy." I'm always surprised when I read an assessment of him that's much different from anyone who lived through that run. He was what he was and was a decent part of the show until Paul E tried to make him something more than he was.

2 hours ago, returner82 said:

Doing the "victory pose" that they did, he and Lance Storm looked like the council estate version of Diesel and Shawn Michaels.

Obnoxious, wasn't it? Which was the point.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Credible (plus entourage) was a very good heel act as an up and comer and The Impact Players were excellent as both antagonists and as half of some great tag matches. The split and acceleration to World Champion in the wake of the Awesome/Tazz fiasco was way too soon however and he was exposed as not "the guy" before losing it to Steve Corino who was even less "the guy." I'm always surprised when I read an assessment of him that's much different from anyone who lived through that run. He was what he was and was a decent part of the show until Paul E tried to make him something more than he was.

I think that's a key point; at the time I didn't really know of ECW's storied past so I was introduced to Credible all ready on top and the booking hammered that home. So whilst a a long-time fan saw him as a downgrade, for a new viewer like myself he came across a serviceable heel champ who stole the title from under the top babyface.

• Paid Members

After hearing about it on this week's episode of Something to Wrestle with, I went and watched Raw from early 1999 where The Undertaker sacrifices Mideon. He's cutting his wrists and all sorts. Was all of this stuff cut out of the UK feed at the time? I had no recollection whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Supremo said:

After hearing about it on this week's episode of Something to Wrestle with, I went and watched Raw from early 1999 where The Undertaker sacrifices Mideon. He's cutting his wrists and all sorts. Was all of this stuff cut out of the UK feed at the time? I had no recollection whatsoever.

Yes it was cut from the Sky broadcast in 1999

• Paid Members

I'm the same - got into ECW during Justin Credible's reign on top, so never saw him as anything less than a top guy, and only heard about genuine resentment toward him after the fact. 

Something I've always had a soft spot for - cross-referencing the "angles you love" thread - was how ECW would book their top heels to have insane entourages, and never moreso than with Justin Credible. At any given time he was accompanied by Jason, Nicole Bass, Francine, Lance Storm, Jack Victory and probably any number of forgettable lackeys that are slipping my mind. 

Yeah, his matches might have been overbooked clusterfucks, but what ECW main event wasn't?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

At any given time he was accompanied by Jason, Nicole Bass, Francine, Lance Storm, Jack Victory and probably any number of forgettable lackeys that are slipping my mind.

Somewhere Chastity is crying. While a guy watches her on webcam and wanks, probably.

• Paid Members

Well, life has changed dramatically today. Voices of Wrestling has a podcast called "Music of the Mat" where two musicians (not famous ones, just guys who known the song structure of these things) discuss a wrestlers history of theme songs, and breakdown the progression of it. Well, they discuss Bret Hart's first WCW theme, and I had no clue that the main part is a talk box with Jimmy Hart (I assume) going "HIT-MAN, WOAH! HIT-MAN, WOAH!" over and over. You cant unhear it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, air_raid said:

before losing it to Steve Corino who was even less "the guy."

Corino should have been "the guy". His completely organic arc through the year rising from hated coward to courageous babyface was one of the best things ECW ever done.

If they didn't immediately undo the whole year's worth of development upon winning the title and have him start pissing his pants at the sight of Sandman he'd have been easily the right guy to put the belt on.