Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Chants have always been a thing.

Totally random point, but you know that "Na na, na na na na, heeeeey, goodbye" thing they do in the WWE when someone is storyline sacked or whatever. Am I right in thinking that's a purely north American phenomenon? I've never heard it in any other context whatsoever apart from Wrestling. 

2 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Totally random point, but you know that "Na na, na na na na, heeeeey, goodbye" thing they do in the WWE when someone is storyline sacked or whatever. Am I right in thinking that's a purely north American phenomenon? I've never heard it in any other context whatsoever apart from Wrestling. 

Edit: I think this may be a cover of a much earlier song.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, garynysmon said:

It was a hit song in the late 60s.

• Paid Members

The only ‘One Fall’ related thing that is genuinely good is related to a ref in the North East.

During an evening, winter bout at a North Wrestling event, the fight went out side on to the banks of the River Tyne. The ref ‘John Myers’ was so eager to stamp his authority that he darted outside after the wrestlers, slipped on a piece of ice, fell like a bag of shite and nearly ended up in the river.

Every match is now scheduled for John Fall.

3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

People often go on about how creative fans at Progress are with their chants. They’re not. If you have a name that’s 3 syllables, you’re getting the Boney M - Daddy Cool chant (“Tyler, Tyler Baaate!...”) or the KC & The Sunshine Band - Give It Up chant (“na na, na na, na na na nan nan na, Tyler Tyler Bate, Tyler Bate! Tyler Tyler Baaate”)

Don't forget "Travis, Travis, Travis Fucking Banks" or "Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, Fucking Havoc" or "Toni, Toni, Toni, Fucking Storm". 

I sat amongst a group of fans at a UK show who were discussing possible chants with each other. Pretty sure they weren't even paying attention to the show itself. It was really really annoying. 

I'll join in one fall but I become increasingly apathetic and irritated by it as the night goes on. 

Also, while I completely 100% agree with the sentiment of "Pick a side" in response to "both these wrestlers/women" it's also shit. 

5 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I was at a Fight Club Show late last year that featured two tremendous chants that differed from the usual, overused Daddy Cool/KC whackabouts.

Crazy great luchadore Flamita had the pleasure of Hall And Oats 'Man Eater' ("Whoooooaaaaa, there he comes. Watch out boy he'll chew you up. Whoooooaaaaa, there he comes. He's a Flamita!) and the brilliant Meiko Satamura had the distinguished licks of Black Lace (Doooo dooo dooooo! Meiko Satamura! Doooo dooo dooooo! Meiko Satamura!).

And before some of you stomp your feet in protest and rage, YES the chants did add to the matches and YES we were all shouting for our faves too. In fact, that same show had Meiko defeat Kyle Fletcher in a match so heavily laced with story and ramifications that everyone went absolutely batshit when she won. Best of both worlds.

Jesus christ that sounds like torture

2 hours ago, Vamp said:

I sat amongst a group of fans at a UK show who were discussing possible chants with each other. Pretty sure they weren't even paying attention to the show itself. It was really really annoying. 

Was it during a “piss break” match because I routinely have chatted at shows if the match isn’t grabbing my attention. Think it is pretty standard that any show will have certain matches which don’t demand as much attention as others 

• Paid Members

Hearing that the Bludgeon Brothers are due back soon, and remembering that Bray Wyatt has been doing sweet fuck all for nearly a year, I'm starting to wonder if they'll bring them back as the reunited Wyatt Family. I also can't decide whether it's a good or bad direction. 

Obviously, it's a step backwards, but ultimately I think all three are better as a unit. Especially taking into account their abject reluctance to push Harper as far as his talent deserves. If they won't make Luke the top guy he clearly has the chops to be, then they might aswell use him to drag some quality out of the other two lumps.

The Wyatts are like Rusev and Lana. They were a great act that worked best together and the only reason they were split up was because the writers couldn't think of anything more creative to do. For that matter, in retrospect, how fucking pointless was splitting up Rusev and Aiden English? They didn't even get a PPV match!

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I really want them to build up a faction as a big deal in preperation for when the Undisputed Era show up. Let the Wyatt Family fuck shit up for a few months, maybe they even take out Shane and/or Hunter, which causes them to announce that it's time to, "Shock the System!" 

Edited by Supremo