Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't disagree that even knocking someone like Big Show off his feet should feel like an achievement - the reason it doesn't is as much to do with how long he's been around, and how poorly they've used him for most of that time, as it does with his opponents, though.

What it comes down to for me is that when someone looks a match and says, "I can't see how that little guy could beat that big guy", the response should be "great!" - because that's the story. You watch to see if he can manage it, and how he does it. If matches were invariably "big bloke clobbers little bloke", wrestling would be interminably dull.

Exactly, the speedy small dude trying to utilise his athleticism to his advantage is a classic story.  Trying to come up with a form of attack that surprises the larger foe and sets them on the back foot is pure good guy against the odds stuff.

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

What it comes down to for me is that when someone looks a match and says, "I can't see how that little guy could beat that big guy", the response should be "great!" - because that's the story. You watch to see if he can manage it, and how he does it. If matches were invariably "big bloke clobbers little bloke", wrestling would be interminably dull.

The problem is, fans now look at such a match and instead of saying "I can't see how that little guy could beat that big guy" they say "Oh, it's Big Show, he's shit and will likely lose and end up crying."

• Paid Members

Really? Do you mean they're not looking at Big Show and thinking "he's a big fucker, therefore he's obviously better and looks like he could handle himself in a fight"? Isn't the entire premise of your argument that the bigger guys look more "like wrestlers", and are therefore inherently better? 

Unless the problem is with the booking of Big Show - and, by extension, of any wrestler - rather than something as simple as what he looks like? But then, who cares about whether a wrestler is booked well or not besides those weird neckbeards muttering about workrate?

Just now, BomberPat said:

Really? Do you mean they're not looking at Big Show and thinking "he's a big fucker, therefore he's obviously better and looks like he could handle himself in a fight"? Isn't the entire premise of your argument that the bigger guys look more "like wrestlers", and are therefore inherently better? 

Unless the problem is with the booking of Big Show - and, by extension, of any wrestler - rather than something as simple as what he looks like? But then, who cares about whether a wrestler is booked well or not besides those weird neckbeards muttering about workrate?

Obviously in an industry where the results are pre-determined it takes a bit of both, but they should be looking at Big Show and thinking "that guy looks like a fucking killer!"

And yes, my premise is that wrestlers should look like actual wrestlers and not someone who you'd take the piss out of for their facial hair down the pub with your mates. 

In theory it shouldn't be too difficult to book guys who look like real-life action figures successfully. Look at Cena, he's a prime example. Jacked up dude who looks the part, larger than life, all that jazz.

It ain't rocket science really, is it?

10 hours ago, David said:

Christ, wouldn't want to spill your auntie's pint if she looks like this...

f822e7b6-3219-4598-a367-00e25339cd16-ori

Say what you want about the guy, but he's right, he does look better than much of the current roster, and he's 65 years old. Hopefully during his return he's not only been imparting some nuggets of information to the current lot on how to actually work a crowd and get a reaction, but maybe provided a few with some advice on hitting the iron now and then.

He's never going to sleep with you, you know...

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Supremo said:

Didn't Hogan win something like a squillion dollars in that court case? Surely he could buy a better wig. That syrup that's hanging out the back of his bandanna legitimately looks like hair you'd get on a child's doll.

image.png.4229fd0d6fe7adcc7820f4134e5759a4.png

Hogan won $140 million in damages from Gawker, but he settles with them for $31 million. I wouldn't imagine he got to keep all that money as his legal bills were covered by Peter Thiel who had his own axe to grind with Gawker in the first place. 

You would expect a better syrup though. That looks like the hair you would get on a 90s knock off Barbie doll. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Hogan won $140 million in damages from Gawker, but he settles with them for $31 million. I wouldn't imagine he got to keep all that money as his legal bills were covered by Peter Thiel who had his own axe to grind with Gawker in the first place. 

You would expect a better syrup though. That looks like the hair you would get on a 90s knock off Barbie doll. 

Yeah, I think the expected sum Hogan was thought to have received out of the $31m (after the legal bills were covered) was in the region of $10M. I'm not familiar with the US legal system, but would he also have income tax to pay on that $10M, as well as possibly a share of that settlement to his ex-wife? 

• Paid Members

Just thinking how weird it is that WWE happened to have a title vacated and crowned a new champion on the exact same night they finished a major (by their standards) tournament to crown 'The Best in the World' and the two had nothing to do with each other. And not only that, but it wasn't even a talking point amongst anyone that they might.

Mainly, it just shows how little regard they put in their own titles. They could have added people to the tournament, made it a focus point of the night, all kinds of things. If they're going to have a champion that's not on TV, they could have even had Smackdown 'capture' the title, and have it go back to Raw at Survivor Series - which would have been shit, but at least episodic and not just resetting everything to the same status quo as six months ago. Instead, they're just so locked into their storylines, they just went for the simple, quiet fix and tried to move on as quickly as possible, in case something potentially interesting happens.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

Even more so. Vacant title going into Survivor Series. Deadly Game 2.0

But it's "the one night of the year where Raw & Smackdown superstars compete". You can't take that away for something as frivolous as the Universal Title.