Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

On 5/2/2018 at 1:18 PM, WeeAl said:

I've never watched any of WrestleMania 4. Every time I thought about doing it, I remembered the terrible reviews it had so I thought 'nah, I'll watch something else.' Recently I've listened to the episodes of Wrestle Me and Something To Wrestle, that have been based on 'Mania 4, and now I'm morbidly curious. Should I be thankful that I've been lucky enough to avoid it and continue to stay well clear? Or should I give it a viewing for any possible shits and giggles that I could get from watching it?Ā 

Thinking of the massive VHS box makes it more appealing somehow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just got into "wrasslin podcasts" and two things pop up frequently that bug me.

1. Arn Anderson wasn't that great. Unless his standing next to Flair nobody gives a fuck about him and his dad bod no matter how real he looked or how he could sell a injury. Corny trying to sell him above Sid just floored me.

2. Owen Hart wasn't anywhere near Bret level. The whole well he was more athletic argumentĀ people use to put him near Bret is stupid. Like Arn, if not standing with a certain person (Bret) wasn't anywhere near the level people like to think.Ā 

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

Like which period?Ā 

I remember you could hear a pin drop around 93-94 watching him. I wouldn't say i have a intense knowledge off his career but that doesn't bode well for greatest upper mid card guy ever.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Arn was tremendous. I reckon ten yeats ago, IĀ may have been in mild agreement due to his look (facially anyway, he had a great wrestler's bod) and thinking he was background to Flair.

He's obviously a super worker but I've come to realise he's the most under appreciated promo in the business. He's superb. He has some incredible lines but poise and tone that are off the chart.

He was clearly pigeon-holed and never really had a shot at rising above it which is a shame.Ā 

And fucking hell, Sid couldn't lace his boots. He had a better look and all and fit the WWF better but I can't think of anytime he was ever worthy of a shove above AA in NWA/WCW.

• Paid Members

Arn could cut a promo and a half. Had great solid matches from the start to the end if his in-ring career.Ā  As for Owen I thought his heel work in 94 was wonderful I agree that he wasn't a solid main eventer like Bret but he was very very good. And in ring excellent .Ā But seriously I'm pretty convinced your trying (and succeeding) to get a rise out of everyone on here

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, theironshake said:

Arn could cut a promo and a half. Had great solid matches from the start to the end if his in-ring career.Ā  As for Owen I thought his heel work in 94 was wonderful I agree that he wasn't a solid main eventer like Bret but he was very very good. And in ring excellent .Ā But seriously I'm pretty convinced your trying (and succeeding) to get a rise out of everyone on here

I'm really not.Ā 

Especially when you've agreed with 1 part of my 2 "Random Thoughts"

I see what Rick's saying and it'sĀ the general vibe looking back on A.A I've noticed through interviews and podcasts. I'm not sold though but i'l keep even more a eye on A.A whenĀ on the Network.Ā 

Anybody think he ever sold a ticket when not with Flair?

Ā 

On 5/28/2018 at 8:02 PM, The King Of Swing said:

Arn Anderson is one of the greatest upper midcard guys ever. Maybe greatest.

One of the most believable wrestlers ever.

Oh wow. Who is in this tier?Ā 
Ā 

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fox Piss said:

Anybody think he ever sold a ticket when not with Flair?

There's no "think" about it. He and Tully used to sell out buildings defending the tag titles on top. Unless "with Flair" means "in the Horsemen," which it shouldn't, because the people were still buying their tickets to watch Arn Anderson wrestle.

A random thought indeed popped into my head today - what would a 3-hour NXT "all-star" PPV show be like? An event in a decent arena with past and present NXT stars up against each other forĀ one night only. I'm trying to think who would get on the card, what the main event would be,Ā and if it'd even work.

• Paid Members

Arn Anderson was a fantastically underrated talent, especially as a heel. His promos were intense and articulate and he had great, believable matches with pretty much everybody who was in the ring with him, be they a single or as a tag team match. I'm cracking through the old NWA stuff on the NEtwork and am in the middle of Arn's run as TV champion. He's defending it every week against anybody and everybody. Some of them are against other stars like Manny FernandezĀ or Ron Garvin, but there's been the occasional squash and even during those matches he's managed to make it look as though he's about to lose the title until he digs deep or takes advantage of a distraction to retain in your classic "shine-heat-comeback-finish" style. They're usually the best match of the week as well apart from a couple like Flair Vs Ricky Morton. Yes he might not haveĀ been too well received during 93/94 but he was forced into a bit of a de facto babyface role because they'd run out of faces for the Horsemen to feud with. He still gave it his all, though. I don't think he would have ever been a world champion, but he'd be the challenger who'd make your world champ look like a champion like Mr Perfect or Ted DiBiase in their WWF runs.