Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, SiWri said:

I am looking forward to it but not as much as I have been previous years. I think that is entirely due to the fact that I went to Wrestlemania last year and really wish I was there again so I'm kidding myself that I'm not full of envy that this year's card is so much better.

Been there my friend. We had a great time at WrestleMania 29... :(

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, The King Of Swing said:

The tree of woe/trapped in the corner double foot stomp, is one of the worst moves in wrestling. Fucking hate the move.

That, and the Del Rio/Sasha Banks double knees, where the opponent has to pull themselves up to be hit with the move. How does a move like that get developed?

“So I’m thinking it’d be cool if you held yourself up whilst I knee-dropped you.”
“And I’d do that because…?”

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

The tree of woe/trapped in the corner double foot stomp, is one of the worst moves in wrestling. Fucking hate the move.

Del Rio's finisher has for years been my most hated thing in any aspect of wrestling.  Such a contrived set up that slaps you in the face and completely kills any suspension of disbelief you're trying to hold to enjoy a match.  The counter to the move is literally to not hold yourself up in position to take it.

Based on watching Braun on a FB Livestream, the sky is the limit with him. Hearing him talk about Mark Henry being his inspiration, how WWE let him and Alexa just "be themselves", being the "monster" and the "dumb country boy with a cool job". He is genuinely entertaining, conducts himself with class, and when allowed, really a good talker. In the transition towards the post-Vince era, do we see them pushing him into a higher role?

Although dream opponent was Bray...maybe reconsider it.

I assume the logic, such as it is, is that the victim is peering up to see where their opponent's gotten to and perhaps try to thwart their efforts, like turning around to see what that stomping noise is when you're fighting HBK, or catching an attempted kick to the gut from Owen Hart. It's all in the timing though, which is all too often lacking in these Alberto and Sasha moves.

Edited by Uncle Zeb
Regarding the pre-Braun topic.

4 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

That, and the Del Rio/Sasha Banks double knees, where the opponent has to pull themselves up to be hit with the move. How does a move like that get developed?

“So I’m thinking it’d be cool if you held yourself up whilst I knee-dropped you.”
“And I’d do that because…?”

56 minutes ago, bbabba said:

Del Rio's finisher has for years been my most hated thing in any aspect of wrestling.  Such a contrived set up that slaps you in the face and completely kills any suspension of disbelief you're trying to hold to enjoy a match.  The counter to the move is literally to not hold yourself up in position to take it.

Worse still, for me, slapping your own leg as you're opponent strikes you! Worst thing in the world. Fucking detest it. That's not being a smark dickhead pointing it out, because it's the most blatant thing in the world as nobody tries to hide it! EVERY fucker does it, even guys considered great workers, no attempt to disguise it and do it with every single fucking strike. It's one thing doing it when you're performing your own move to enhance it, but at least disguise it in some way. There's some things that seem to regularly occur in wrestling these days just because "it's wrestling" and we all know it's pretend and it's more accepted these days, but when it's so obvious it really takes something away and takes you out of it.

Rey, HBK and Del Rio were pretty good at it and perhaps caused the popularity of its use today, but they disguised it and saved it for particular big strikes that made them seem/sound deadly. 

11 hours ago, bigfoote said:

Based on watching Braun on a FB Livestream, the sky is the limit with him. Hearing him talk about Mark Henry being his inspiration, how WWE let him and Alexa just "be themselves", being the "monster" and the "dumb country boy with a cool job". He is genuinely entertaining, conducts himself with class, and when allowed, really a good talker. In the transition towards the post-Vince era, do we see them pushing him into a higher role?

Although dream opponent was Bray...maybe reconsider it.

To me Braun is the next 'guy'; he has had an organic growth (total opposite to Reigns), he comes across as genuine likeable yet sh!t scary at the same time,he just has 'that look', for example imagining if you are not a wrestling fan and you are flicking through TV and you see him sat on the sofa on Good Morning Britian or Loose women, you're going to be immediately "Who is that?".

Turn Reigns heel, have Braun chase him, the $$$$$$$$$$ in that that! (but they wont)

2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

To me Braun is the next 'guy'; he has had an organic growth (total opposite to Reigns), he comes across as genuine likeable yet sh!t scary at the same time,he just has 'that look', for example imagining if you are not a wrestling fan and you are flicking through TV and you see him sat on the sofa on Good Morning Britian or Loose women, you're going to be immediately "Who is that?".

This reference will go over most people's heads, but I've been playing Yakuza 0 lately on PS4 and Braun is basically Mr Shakedown - the big tank of a man calmly strolling around town who makes you think "Oh shit, better go a different way" whenever you spot him in the distance.

• Paid Members

Chris Jericho was one of the connections on Only Connect this week.The connection was that they were all "Chris"es. Spotted it straight off the bat.

7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Chris Jericho was one of the connections on Only Connect this week.The connection was that they were all "Chris"es. Spotted it straight off the bat.

Did you go for the red herring of Rock?