Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

Wasn't it a case of someone telling him the kick was his best looking move and should therefore be his finish? Not sure if I read that in his autobiography or somewhere else.

It was, perhaps almost unsurprisingly, the genius that is Pat Patterson that pulled him aside and said the suplex thing is shit, that kick - that's your finish. Shawn tells the story in his Stone Cold Podcast.

23 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, like I say, it's his only real mistake in his arsenal. I'm not a fan of how he did the AA/FU for years (just looked like he was laying them down really fast at one one), and I've seen way better executions of the STF, but really that's an aesthetic preference on my part. Everything else is pretty much main event.

Cena’s STF is the most pathetic finisher of all time. I’ve tried to work out how it would hurt, and it must be the awkward way he bends his opponents leg to the side 

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Cena’s STF is the most pathetic finisher of all time. I’ve tried to work out how it would hurt, and it must be the awkward way he bends his opponents leg to the side 

It's not as shameful as any time Marty Scurll tries to apply a Chickenwing correctly. As someone who loves that move it makes me cringe every time I see him slapping one on.

• Paid Members

I assume Cena's STF is a little loose for dramatic reasons - if you watch someone like Regal tie someone up in an STF, it looks horrible and painful, but doesn't provide much scope for WWE dramatic moments. The way Cena locks it in, his hands usually slip to around the chin so that you can see his opponent's facial expressions, and the way it's applied makes it easier for his opponent to wriggle towards the ropes for a dramatic escape.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I assume Cena's STF is a little loose for dramatic reasons - if you watch someone like Regal tie someone up in an STF, it looks horrible and painful, but doesn't provide much scope for WWE dramatic moments. The way Cena locks it in, his hands usually slip to around the chin so that you can see his opponent's facial expressions, and the way it's applied makes it easier for his opponent to wriggle towards the ropes for a dramatic escape.

Regal's version isn't really an STF, though, as there's no facelock - sort of more of an abdominal stretch. He doesn't really cover their face, either.

To be honest, I've never really understood that argument for Cena's STF - just because there have been facelocky finishers before where the hands were right across the face, like the Crippler Crossface, for example, and they were perfectly fine, dramatically speaking. WMXX' main event was the last time wrestling made me jump out of my chair like a goal had been scored, and that came from Triple H tapping to the Crossface. 

Ultimately, though, like I say, I accept that my lack of appreciation for Cena's STF can be brought down to an aesthetic thing, because a finisher's overness is pretty much decided by how protected it is, and how much it's sold for. That STF is over as fuck, and in the final analysis that is really all that matters.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

At this rate, it looks like this will be the first Wrestlemania I’m not going to bother with since being able to regularly access Satellite TV in 1993. 

In fairness, the card doesn’t look too bad on paper at all, its just that I have absoloutely no interest in the current roster whatsoever.

Is anyone else feeling the same?

(Disclaimer: My ramblings could turn out to be complete bollocks and I end up watching it sometime next week.)

6 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

At this rate, it looks like this will be the first Wrestlemania I’m not going to bother with since being able to regularly access Satellite TV in 1993. 

In fairness, the card doesn’t look too bad on paper at all, its just that I have absoloutely no interest in the current roster whatsoever.

(Disclaimer: My ramblings could turn out to be complete bollocks and I end up watching it sometime next week.)

Exact same as you. I just can't relate to any of them. They might as well be Dean Rollins, Seth Ambrose, Kevin Ziggler, Sami Owens and Dolph Zayn.

The only contemporary guy I half like is Roman Reigns, and that's in an ironic way because everyone else hates him.

Even the big guys like Braun or Rusev, I can't take seriously because they're always acting like doofuses on social media.

I know the problem is probably mine. 

There just used to be a bit of mystery to it, you only had a glimpse behind the curtain, you didn't know beyond what you saw on TV.

Social media and YouTube has just changed things irrevocably for me.

I feel the same about most these wrestlers as I do people who spam my Facebook feed with inane ramblings about every thing that crosses their mind.

48 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Nope, I'm all in on this one - there's so much intrigue across the card for me.

This will be only the second Mania that I don't watch live since I was eleven years old, and the first where I haven't watched >=90% of the Raws between the Rumble and Mania.

I 'like' a lot of the current roster but for whatever reason I feel no compulsion to watch them week-to-week. The TV has never felt more missable. 

15 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I find that the card looks ace on paper but the build has been utter shite, I do wish I didn't jump back in for 'Mania season and just caught the event of the back of the card now.

This is key really, strange how the weekly TV is an enjoyment sapper but on the night of the big cards themselves they always pull out a great show. I include NXT in that too (most weeks anyway).

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

I am looking forward to it but not as much as I have been previous years. I think that is entirely due to the fact that I went to Wrestlemania last year and really wish I was there again so I'm kidding myself that I'm not full of envy that this year's card is so much better.

19 minutes ago, SiWri said:

I am looking forward to it but not as much as I have been previous years. I think that is entirely due to the fact that I went to Wrestlemania last year and really wish I was there again so I'm kidding myself that I'm not full of envy that this year's card is so much better.

We'll always have Lesnar/Goldberg!