Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

6 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Christian Bale circa The Machinist would be a more imposing main eventer than Punk.

Is it any wonder he has to resort to insider terms all the time to maintain any degree of relevance.

What you on about? Punk was relevant before the Pipe Bomb promo. That only pushed him further and put him on to a successful run which most wrestlers could only dream of. Pretty much every one uses insider terms and references, Punk just did it better. Worked-shoot promos have been around for ages 

For all that he was a smart worker in some ways Punk made a couple of persistent errors which harmed his credibility as a threat to physically larger wrestlers. One being his suspension-of-disbelief-destroying finisher which should've been replaced with a big strike or submission hold early in his run. Practically every other middle weight main eventer they've ever had has finished with something other than a big lifting power move. I'm thinking Shawn, Bret, Benoit, Bryan. Smart workers who accepted they had to work around their size.

He should also have had the sense not to wear big spongey boots and knee pads large enough to make him look like a kid playing dress-up too. Was always distracting.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

For the first time in years, I don't know when WrestleMania is. Kind of a wow moment for me.

As mentioned in the WM thread, it’s the best looking card in years. People aren’t shitting all over it and many are genuinely looking forward to it, whether on here or on twitter etc. 

When I hear that kind of chatter, mixed with my initials feelings on the card, I’m well up for it this year.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Pinc said:

Practically every other middle weight main eventer they've ever had has finished with something other than a big lifting power move. I'm thinking Shawn...

He’s a perfect example. He stared with the Teardrop Suplex didn’t he? 

Quickly realised it was daft and moved on to what became one of the most iconic strikes/kicks in the business.

22 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Punk claimed that he was shifting more merch than Cena around 2011-2012, but I’ve always imagined that to be him having a Bret Hart ‘I was getting the most fan mail of anyone in the WWF despite being a heel’ circa 88 moment and believing his own hype rather than anything concrete. I’ve never seen any concrete figures regarding merch being made public*, and I’m sure Punk did shift a tonne of merch in that period in which he was champion and of course he would say so, but even then Cena was still very much the man in WWE.

My reckoning with that is, he had one t-shirt that was the best selling shirt on WWE Shop (the famous white Chicago flag ringer tee), beating Cena's merch and decided that was enough for him to declare he was 'shifting the most merch', deliberately and conveniently ignoring the fact that when you add up the John Cena shirt, cap, arm band, wee towel and other stuff, it almost certainly adds up to way, way more than a single bit of apparel. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

As mentioned in the WM thread, it’s the best looking card in years. People aren’t shitting all over it and many are genuinely looking forward to it, whether on here or on twitter etc. 

When I hear that kind of chatter, mixed with my initials feelings on the card, I’m well up for it this year.

Oh, I'm sure I'll watch - I just haven't watched any wrestling since the Rumble. Whereas last year I was sitting in a hotel lobby in Mexico trying to get good enough WiFi to stream with.

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

[Shawn's] a perfect example. He stared with the Teardrop Suplex didn’t he? 

Quickly realised it was daft and moved on to what became one of the most iconic strikes/kicks in the business.

Wasn't it a case of someone telling him the kick was his best looking move and should therefore be his finish? Not sure if I read that in his autobiography or somewhere else.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Wasn't it a case of someone telling him the kick was his best looking move and should therefore be his finish? Not sure if I read that in his autobiography or somewhere else.

Maybe, but that just sounds like, “your suplex will look fucking shit against Typhoon”.

• Paid Members

I think Cena has a mistake in his arsenal too. Everything else he does is bang on or at worst decent, but those comebacks - most other guys either have a version of the Hulk-Up, or they pull out a desperation move out of nowhere, which gives them a double-down and a bit of time to get some energy back. Cena's shoulder blocks out of nowhere with all the smoothness of a speeding Cadillac, sometimes with a grin on his face, and very little selling of the entire match up to that point, have always been a bit pony.

• Paid Members

His hovering slo-mo shoulder attacks are terrible, horrid infact, but it’s the only thing I can really fault him on top @Carbomb.

Could be an interesting game that. ‘Create a shit Caw’. 

Pick the single worst attribute from your top 5 wrestlers (or those who you really like otherwise). Watch shiteness unfold.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Moderators

You know how several times we've mocked IRS' brown tights he wore early on in his run? It's even worse on his MSG debut. Check that tights, trunks, and shit stitching combo.

http://network.wwe.com/video/v31307857/milestone/31327447

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

His hovering slo-mo shoulder attacks are terrible, horrid infact, but it’s the only thing I can really fault him on top @Carbomb.

Could be an interesting game that. ‘Create a shit Caw’. 

Pick the single worst attribute from your top 5 wrestlers (or those who you really like otherwise). Watch shiteness unfold.

Yeah, like I say, it's his only real mistake in his arsenal. I'm not a fan of how he did the AA/FU for years (just looked like he was laying them down really fast at one one), and I've seen way better executions of the STF, but really that's an aesthetic preference on my part. Everything else is pretty much main event.