Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Excellent stuff, Lister. Me and the girlfriend have been talking about going to Japan. I want to go early January but she keeps banging on about seeing cherry blossoms. 

I will say, we did Tokyo in January a few years back, and it was stupidly cold. Amazing, but bloody cold. Unless you're going specifically for something in Jan (Wrestle Kingdom for example) then it might be worth going when a bit warmer.

It is amazing though @JNLister's post just makes me so want to go back. Lister, did you go to Dropkicks, the bar run by DDT in Shinjuku? Or the Antonio Inoki themed restaurant nearby? Both were massive highlights of my trip alongside Todoukon.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I will say, we did Tokyo in January a few years back, and it was stupidly cold. Amazing, but bloody cold. Unless you're going specifically for something in Jan (Wrestle Kingdom for example) then it might be worth going when a bit warmer.

Would be a shame to go all that way and not see some Japanese wrestling but I could always go around the time of some other show. Definitely going to be going. Maybe in 2019. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Would be a shame to go all that way and not see some Japanese wrestling but I could always go around the time of some other show. Definitely going to be going. Maybe in 2019. 

Oh for sure, that's the one thing I was unable to do in Tokyo, which will have to be remedied next time. It is a cracking place though, can't recommend Japan highly enough.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, DavidParis said:

Go to Osaka in June and you can catch Dominion. I might be a little biased since I live here but I’d say there’s actually way more of interest to see and do in this part of Japan. 

Yup, based on my trip in 2006 I think Osaka was defo up there as one of my favourite places. I started in Tokyo, but eventually had a great trip starting in Kyoto, down to Osaka then along to Himoji. 

Does Osaka pro still run from inside the leisure centre/shopping mall, near the water park/onsens? I remember it was basically a really tiny store front, leading in to a really small Osaka pro shop, then through a single door/curtain near the counter leads to their mini arena.

Was great fun. A few of the wrestlers well incredibly chuffed to see westerners, to the point the wanted photos, which seemed very odd, but they were all cool as fuck.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, mim731 said:

It is amazing though @JNLister's post just makes me so want to go back. Lister, did you go to Dropkicks, the bar run by DDT in Shinjuku? Or the Antonio Inoki themed restaurant nearby? Both were massive highlights of my trip alongside Todoukon.

Didn't do Dropkicks. Ironically I was on my way to Inoki's bar for a pre-DDT drink on the last night but stopped off in a department store for present buying (which is where I found that calendar) and spent so long I didn't have time.

Relatively lucky with the temperature (as in a couple of days I went with jacket undone and no hat), but there was definitely one afternoon when I had to abandon outdoor plans. I don't think I waited in any significant queue during the whole trip, but it wouldn't have been much fun. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Excellent stuff, Lister. Me and the girlfriend have been talking about going to Japan. I want to go early January but she keeps banging on about seeing cherry blossoms. 

Sakura Genesis (the former Invasion Attack) is probably your best bet. It's always at Sumo Hall in April and is one of the big NJPW shows (arguably the biggest outside of Wrestle Kingdom/G1). 'Sakura' is a reference to it taking place during Tokyo's cherry blossom season.

• Paid Members

I always thought Jimmy Hart'sFirst Family were a bit shit back when but when you see them now, the fucking size of Hugh Morrus, Jerry Flynn, Barbarian and Brian Knobbs. If they came apomg now, they'd look like four Strowmans.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally random memory just popped into my head, when Foley said that he no showed the post screw job Raw in protest.

Funny thing is hee possibly could have missed the show anyway to sell the kicking Kane gave him at Survivor Series. Didn't he eat a chokeslam on the floor?

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Moderators

You'll either find this nugget super interesting or dull as fuck, but it turns out ITV used to show NWA Main Event from 1989. NWA/WCW Pro ws known about on ITV, and obviously WCW Worldwide was, but there's an episode of NWA Main Event just gone up youtube featuring Granada produced late night continuity for a few ITV regions.  I'd never seen, heard or read about ITV showing Main Event before so this news is Nice Jubbly! 

Edited by PowerButchi