Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, Supremo said:

I spend way too much time these days thinking about all the Indy darlings from the mid-00s who came just a few years too soon, before NXT became Triple H’s own independent fantasy federation. Whether WWE is better or worse for it  might be another topic itself, but that shift in mentality makes me wonder what guys would be on Raw or Smackdown now, if only they were ten years younger. Christopher Daniels, Doug Williams, Motor City Machine Guns, all the X-Division guys back when TNA was watchable. What do people think their chances of getting into WWE would have been if they were just coming up now? Who do people think missed out simply due to bad timing? Would Johnny Storm and Jody Fleisch have had a shot in the UK division if it came ten or fifteen years earlier?

I was thinking about this the other day when the ROH thread inspired me to have a scan through their roster page. You wonder if the time has passed for Daniels, the Machine Guns, and Kazarian (for a second chance) and other long-time non-WWE types like Jay Lethal to get a go in WWE. Maybe they've been offered and don't want to. Maybe age is a factor - but now, more than ever, it's got to be 'never say never', and you never know if one or more of them might arrive in a Rumble or on NXT. When you look at the people who have come in over the past couple of years, from Styles and Joe to Roode and Young to Undisputed Era and so on... there's still got to be a chance for anyone.

Saying that, there's others where it's probably never going to happen - the Young Bucks seem pretty happy positioning themselves in a 'never in WWE' way, the Briscoes probably aren't getting there due to certain attitudes expressed, your ultra-indy guys of days past like Super Dragon... but then again, El Generico and Kevin Steen are the focus of a WWE brand right now, so never say never!

I'd 100% certain that Storm and Fleisch would have been two of the top guys in the UK division if it had come along earlier. I wonder how the top British guys of their generation feel about WWE UK - they went through the FWA boom, got through the Supershow era, but were just too early for the chance of WWE worldwide exposure. I'd be gutted.

2 hours ago, Wrasslin said:

I'm sure in a UK tournament they would have stuck the Fleisch vs Storm match out there in the first round or something. Well trodden spot fest that would pop the crowd. Almost the Osprey/Riccochet of its time. 

Well they have umpteen times, even in the states. Their first ROH appearance and in the Best of the Best tournament they were in that was what they did almost like how the luchadores were first used in WCW or even ECW 5-6 years earlier.

4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I was thinking about this the other day when the ROH thread inspired me to have a scan through their roster page. You wonder if the time has passed for Daniels, the Machine Guns, and Kazarian (for a second chance) and other long-time non-WWE types like Jay Lethal to get a go in WWE. Maybe they've been offered and don't want to. Maybe age is a factor - but now, more than ever, it's got to be 'never say never', and you never know if one or more of them might arrive in a Rumble or on NXT. When you look at the people who have come in over the past couple of years, from Styles and Joe to Roode and Young to Undisputed Era and so on... there's still got to be a chance for anyone.

Perhaps some of them wouldn't get through due to injuries as well. Sabin springs right to the forefront there, i'm sure he has Kevin Nash knees.

Daniels was cutting around in the 90's he must be late 40's by now and it took him a while to get his character down. 

The rest are probably the same age as the TNA guys like AJ, Joe & Bobby Roode or even NJPW guys like Nakamura & Balor about 36-40, the WWE roster isn't exactly young, almost all the non cruiserweights or women are in their 30's at least.

I wouldn't mind them bringing in James Storm & either Kazarian or someone on the actual roster and getting Fortune back together, they were good for the short time they were together and AJ could be the Flair of the group and Beer Money the Arn & Tully.

• Paid Members

I was listening to Pollock and Ting this week reviewing Smackdown and they got to taking about potential new members of The Shield. I'd never really thought about adding anyone to their collective at all before, but my mind started wandering and then it popped into my head that I could see snarling and brooding Pete Dunne fit in there quite nicely. 

WWE seem to be fixated on 3 man/women stables over the last few years, but if they were to add some bodies to the Shield, I reckon it would be a great way to debut him to the casuals and get him over quickly. His in ring would no doubt seal he deal. 

Am I going a bit mental? 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I like the idea in theory, but I suspect that it's too late to add a new member without devaluing the original three as a trio. Had someone new been introduced a year in, that would make sense, but now it would feel forced and I don't know the new member would ever be truly accepted by the fans, no matter how good. 

• Paid Members

Is there anyone who could feasibly debut in the Rumble (ala AJ Styles) that would be a big deal? Or is there anyone who could make a big splash as a return (discounting the likes of CM Punk who could come back, but are unlikely ti)? 

Notwithstanding it being Bossman's year, I can't think of anyone remotely plausible for a "big" return, short of maybe Jericho as a massive swerve.

Cody and Bullet Club as a whole are shall we say, not the most popular people in Vince's world. Omega is more than happy to stay as the ace gaijin in Japan. 

Screw it, fantasy booking moment, Dario Cueto shows up with Precious Paul, AOP and Matanza