Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

He'd been released by the time they made MArine 3, and had a neck injury as well. I'd guess, well the guy who made the video guesses it was after Marine 2 had finished filming with Ted Jr that they would have been thinking about Bob. I wonder whether somebody was trolling with the suggestion of Orton every time it came to casting one.

• Awards Moderator
53 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

That does seem to ring a bell.

Fucking Ted Dibiase Jr though. I can remember people thinking he was going to be the next breakout star and should have been WWE Champion, some were saying he could be the one to end the streak. Imagine throwing that away on the guy with DP on his trunks

And yet, thanks to Manu, he's still only the second-most-forgettable member of Legacy.

(I did quite like Ted Jr's little run with Maryse as his manager in ... I want to say 2010 ... it was like her recent run with Miz, only instead of the two of them elevating each other, she was creating most of the interest)

• Paid Members

As bland as Ted Jr was, I still think there was wasted potential there. They kind of half-arsed giving him the Million Dollar belt, but never really went all-in with the gimmick.

"Spoiled trust fund brat" is decent heel gimmick, and when you throw in that his dad was the Million Dollar Man, it all just writes itself, but it never felt like they went far enough with making that his schtick.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

As bland as Ted Jr was, I still think there was wasted potential there. They kind of half-arsed giving him the Million Dollar belt, but never really went all-in with the gimmick.

"Spoiled trust fund brat" is decent heel gimmick, and when you throw in that his dad was the Million Dollar Man, it all just writes itself, but it never felt like they went far enough with making that his schtick.

Same as most things in the last decade it's a victim of them not fleshing out a character, not being interested in vignettes or on location skits that would give the thing depth and then not allowing the heel to be as cheat and as dirty as it could be. Plus they lose interest in most gimmicks after about 4 minutes.

Pretty sure it would still have failed because he didn't have the charisma of his old man but at least then they could have held their hands up and say they did everything they could.

• Paid Members

Ted Jr is by far the soundest wrestler I've ever met. Bumped in to him in a bar during WM 27 weekend, it was after HOF, so the night before Mania. He was drinking Bailey's and was half gone.  He was chatty, funny and showed about 100x more personality than he ever did on screen. We spent a good half an hour with him and a couple of his mates, who were total marks, the only thing he was bothered about was not being in pics with a drink in his hand, even though he wasn't on the card, which he spoke quite candidly about. 

• Paid Members

Wasn't that pretty much the basis of his babyface run against Cody? He was known for hanging out with fans, and they turned it into his gimmick with the "Dibiase Posse". Don't really remember it that well, but recall that being the logic behind it.

In terms of nicest wrestlers, of people who have been in WWE etc., Joe E. Legend probably wins that one for me. Obviously not a huge name, and only had a cup of coffee in WWE, but a thoroughly lovely bloke. Always seems to have time for everybody, happy to sit around telling stories and cracking jokes, and full of great advice. When the promotion I work for was struggling a little for time and money, and had to take on someone else to manage the finances, Joe E got in touch with our boss and offered his help unpaid if we needed someone to help handle the booking and talent side of things. Ludicrously nice guy.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Wasn't that pretty much the basis of his babyface run against Cody? He was known for hanging out with fans, and they turned it into his gimmick with the "Dibiase Posse". Don't really remember it that well, but recall that being the logic behind it.

Yeah, pretty much. They used to go on about how he'd go out and 'tailgate' with fans before shows, but honestly don't know if he really did.

They also started playing up that he wasn't really a spoiled rich kid, but a Mississippi country boy who liked trucks & fishing & wearing camo. In kayfabe it was presented that he'd "rejected his Dad's money", in reality it was an admission he'd not pulled off that gimmick and they gave him one that was much closer to his real life persona.

1 hour ago, Porkchopcash said:

Sherri without doubt is the greatest ever female involved in wrestling.  Shite like Aksana, and all the other NXT rubbish make me cringe. Lita was slightly reasonable playing Edges squeeze, other than that, they’re all terrible. Sherri the Queen of Wrestling, could do it all.

. . . k babes. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Shite like Aksana, and all the other NXT rubbish make me cringe. Lita was slightly reasonable playing Edges squeeze, other than that, they’re all terrible. 

I think you’re bringing too much awareness to the fact that you talk a lot of shite.