Getting Turned on by Torvill and Dean

Gus Mears

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

Thought I may as well bump this, right time of the year.

Trash in the South West this festive season. Bath has stopped having a Christmas light switch on due to the Council having no money. Chippenham aced it last year with Torvill and Dean, but have downgraded massively to Joe Pasquale for this iteration. Ian Beale is doing the panto in Swindon this year, so I had high hopes, but alas, some random X-Factor reject instead.

Any good names? Seem to remember someone lived in Rotheram, which pretty much guaranteed the Chuckle Brothers doing it every year, which sounds top. 

• Paid Members

I like that Swindon's X Factor Reject isn't even the one who lived in Swindon when he finished second years ago. That's spectacular even for them.The

The Bath situation is laughable, fairly sure the only time I remember them even rolling out all the bells and whistles for it was when the One Show switched them on live on air, its been dreadful apart from that.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

The Bath situation is laughable, fairly sure the only time I remember them even rolling out all the bells and whistles for it was when the One Show switched them on live on air, its been dreadful apart from that.

No way, Bath had Nicolas Cage turn on the Christmas lights a few years ago, it doesn't get any better than that.

• Paid Members

At least most places get a real person to turn their lights on. In Barnsley we are treated to Catboy from PJ Masks. And last year we had one of the "Hero Pups." Couldn't even splash out for a real Paw Patrol costume the tight bastards...

• Paid Members

Manchester's Christmas lights switch on was on November 4th. I'm guessing they held it then so Albert Square was free for the Christmas MArkets AND to tie in the fireworkd display with bonfire night. Pixie Lott was there, the cast of Elf: the musical, Shrek: the musical and some DJ bloke I'd never heard of. They also showed a horrifically generic Christmas advert in which Santa endorses Manchester City Council. It was leaps and bounds ahead of Darwen's Christmas lights switch on about 10 years ago when Steve McDonald from off of out of Coronation Street couldn't be bothered to turn up so a youg terminally ill girl got to turn them on, which was nice for her.

Was it just a dog that looked like it might have been one of the dogs from Paw Patrol? We've got the youngest nephew a Paw Patrol advent calendar where you get a little toy every day like with those Lego ones they do nowadays. The other 4 have Premier League match attack advents.

Archived