Getting Turned on by Torvill and Dean

Gus Mears

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheltenham don't tend to have it anymore. They got McFly 10 years ago to do it and the area in town they were at was only marked out for about 10,000 I think and about 45,000 turned up. So way over the amount they were expecting and there was a massive crush of people. From what I heard, it was carnage. And they only played 3 songs and they had backing tracks. I imagine they played for the time they were contracted for. Don't think the council thought that one through. Fair to say the town probably wasn't big enough for a group that's in the charts so high. Think they were No.1 a couple of weeks before. Since then, they really scaled it down until eventually, they stopped doing it. So the shopping centres have theirs instead on their coin because I guess the council still have nightmares of that one and don't have the money to spare for it because after all, there is a lot to cover.

• Paid Members

It obviously isn't bloody comprehensive. We've been sold a right kipper by young PunkStep here. Where the fucking fuck are Torvill and fucking Dean on that fucking list?

And they've missed off the star-studded Croydon line-up. What a crock of shite. Pardew won't be happy, heads will roll.

PunkStep's link looks at first glance like a list of places in the UK with official city status, which would explain why Croydon and Chippenham are missing but poxy little places such as Ely and Ripon are in there...  except for the fact that 3 Welsh cities and Wells are missing, but the town of Aberystwyth has somehow managed to sneak on there!

Robin Cousins would've been been a better choice than Torvill and Dean for a Westcountry town if the council is insistent on getting a figure skater to do the switch-on They're from Nottingham, he's a Bristolian (but they are doing panto in Bristol this year). Mary Berry shouldn't come as a surprising choice for Bath, but pairing her up with someone from the Stranglers does seem more than a bit random. I hear Julia Sawalha lives locally these days... 

• Paid Members

We get the absolute shittest people. We have a combo of some actress off Eastenders who shagged the ginger and someone with a beard from The Voice. Usually we have whatever manager has at the time, like Steve Bruce or Gus Poyet. But Moyes doesnt exactly have the face that screams Christmas spirit. He'd probably suck the juice out of the electricity of one of our many Pound Shops.

I've just moved to Basingstoke and was ready to kick off on hearing it was just going to be the cast of the local pantomime. The 'famous Festival Place switch-on' deserves more than that, surely? But then I looked at the cast and it includes Sue Holderness (Marleen Boyce from Only Fools & Horses).

Then I read that we turned them on on the 11th of November. Fuck Basingstoke, and its bullshit early Christmas.

• Paid Members

The best ever Christmas lights moment was in 2007-8 when ex hollyoaks/ love island idiot Paul Danan was in the Preston Panto of Jack and the beanstalk and was turning on the lights with the rest of the cast and swaggered onto stage and greeted a crowd full of kids with the immortal line 'Preston. Make some motherfucking noise!' The silence was deafening and his immediate sacking was fantastic.

This is followed a close second by the lytham turn on last week where 2 of the 3 Bay City Rollers who were paid to turn up came on stage and refused to sing because the other one was shit faced in the pub next door.

Archived