What are you thankful for in wrestling?

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

I'm sure we've done this before. Possibly last year. But things have changed since then. It's Thanksgiving in America, and while we know what the WWE roster are thankful for...

... what are you thankful for in wrestling right now?

I'm thankful for Bobby Roode's glorious entrances, and the fact that the WWE Network means in the last month I've not only been able to keep up to date with the current product, but also watch most of Goldberg's previous PPV matches, stuff from a dozen different Survivor Series, and several full shows from 99 and 2000, just by clicking through a couple of menus.

The recent ECW stuff on the network. I'm a big fan of the original ECW but haven't sat through a million shoot interviews or watch thousands of hours of it, so I still appreciate the Top 50 stuff and recent interview they did.

Austin's podcast. I spend most of my time working from the laptop (hence why I pop in here so much) and being able to get out for a big walk with the dog, listening to Austin's podcast is always a good way to clear my head.

WWE's Raw and Smackdown videos on YouTube. Ain't nobody got time to sit through Raw and Smackdown every week. Those are a good way to keep an eye on what's going on.

NXT Takeovers. They deliver every time, and then some. If I had to write down what I wanted from from a promotion in 2016, NXT would be 90% of it. It'd be better if their weekly show had a bit more of a kick but it's easy to forget it's a feeder show for Raw and Smackdown. The Revival need a special mention, fucking ace those two are. 

Goldberg. At it's best, wrestling is about those larger than life characters. Goldberg has come back as one. Him and Lesnar are leagues above anyone else in the company.

The Royal Rumble's approaching. The last couple of road to Wrestlemania's have been a bit shit but I'm hoping they've got their A game on this/next year. Just by having Goldberg back, it opens up a load of avenues for them.

Agree with Roode's glorious entrances, Harmonic. 

The fact that they seem to have started the Road to Wrestlemaniaâ„¢ already, making me actually watch the highlights of the weekly shows on Youtube instead of only reading the results on the app.

Goldberg coming back for more.

Two stadium shows in the next six months.

Talking Smack being a really good show. in its own right.

The ability to watch Renee Young in HD.

Renee Young's hair.

The network is amazing mate. It's a miracle I ever make it out of the house.

AJ Styles is in the WWE. He's World Champ. And he's fucking killing it week after week.

Oh, some bloke named Shinsuke Nakamura is not doing too badly too.

NXT Takeovers are an absolute blast, without fail. And generally, the great character development on that show, that got me to scream and yell into my screen in support of Bayley/Gargano & Ciampa - before I even realised I liked them that much

it's been great to watch the rise of stature in women's wrestling. from those dodgy initial times with the 'Divas Revolution' to now, great progress has been made. the way they always presented women previously has nearly always been dogshit-offputting to me

To pick something others might not think of, CF0$..or whatever they're called, the new music guys. Some really great themes these past couple of years. particularly Roode, Zayn, Nakamura, as well as practically every woman. My least fav era in WWE is probably 2009-2010ish when absolutely everybody had a shitty alt-rock theme by some gash band, the new themes are colourful, play more with different styles of music and exude character in a way we haven't had since Johnston was in his prime.

That WWE continue to do right by AJ Styles. I always knew AJ had it in him but never in a million years did I expect creative to get behind in the way that they have and incredibly quickly by most standards. I thought he'd be trading wins in the midcard for at least a year before he even got a look in at the main event.

That NXT is the most consistent wrestling show week after week after week. It's so consistently great that we don't even talk about it being good anymore, it's just NXT being NXT.

That the WWE have finally begun to acknowledge the wider wrestling world. Mentions of NJPW and even TNA on WWE programming give context to debuting stars and at the same time make WWE look even bigger because now they sit at the top of the pile instead of existing in some kind of wrestling vacuum where only they matter.  

• Awards Moderator

Feel so stupid I didn't think of this thread myself!

To pick something others might not think of, CF0$..or whatever they're called, the new music guys. Some really great themes these past couple of years. particularly Roode, Zayn, Nakamura, as well as practically every woman. My least fav era in WWE is probably 2009-2010ish when absolutely everybody had a shitty alt-rock theme by some gash band, the new themes are colourful, play more with different styles of music and exude character in a way we haven't had since Johnston was in his prime.

That's a really good shout. They do the occasional clunker but everything sounds current, fresh and fits the character well. I found myself humming the "F-A-B-..." Carmella song yesterday and I'd never even thought about that song before.

No original thoughts here, but: NXT Takeovers, Austin's podcast, and WWE's acknowledgement that they can use indie darlings and still work with that background. Always been a struggle for them and I suspect Triple H has been instrumental in that sea change.

Archived