UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs Brunson - Nov 26

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic at these results :D I was the only one here that picked Whittaker to win, and what a crazy fight! Whittaker looked much smaller than Brunson in the cage, and I guess Brunson thought he could steamroll the smaller guy. It looked like Brunson had the power advantage, but Whittaker moved enough, and had the speed and technique to counter and put together that great finishing flurry.

Volkanovski, nasty, nasty ground and pound! Liked how gritty he was in putting Yusuke down and laying in the leather. Glad he's going to FW/BW- at 5'5 or so he's definitely too small at LW. He's got one punch KO power too so hopefully we all see that in his next fight.

• Paid Members

Whittaker impressed me but Brunson didn't. With a performance like that he'll get mauled by anybody above him in the rankings. He looked very sloppy, left so many openings, and didn't seem to have the restraint to save something back for when he would start to gas.

A very exciting fight though, and Brunson did very well to not crumple from the head kick alone. Who's next for Whittaker? Anderson as a main event on one of these thin looking PPV's in the first few months of the year?

• Paid Members

I don't think a fight like Whittaker vs Anderson would headline a PPV, but I could certainly see it as a main event on FOX or FS1. Especially if it's in Australia or Brazil. I like that fight next for Whittaker. Despite Anderson coming off a terrible 2016, he's still a huge name in the sport. If Whittaker beats Anderson it still means something and it'd be great for his record. If Anderson wins he's back in the win column over a legit upcoming contender.

Whittaker looked great. To get a stoppage win over a guy like Derek Brunson in front of a rabid home crowd like that is exactly the kind of thing he needed. I thought he'd lose this one but like I said in the OP, you can never dismiss someone like him. He's kind of like a middleweight, more successful Jeremy Stephens in that even when you think his opponent has more ways to win, he's got that combination of game changing power, durability and fearless aggression that means you can never count him out.

Brunson kind of baffled me though. I don't know if the occasion overwhelmed him a bit or not. It was his first UFC main event and he was in his opponent's backyard in front of a hostile crowd. But I've never seen him look so sloppy and overaggressive. I don't know if it was a case of him feeling the pressure to keep up his string of first round finishes or the pressure of his newfound main event status or what. But he's never fought like a complete reckless madman like that before. It nearly paid off but ultimately you can't fuck about with someone as dangerous as Whittaker.

If not Whittaker vs Anderson, I wouldn't mind seeing Whittaker vs Mousasi next.

Vitor wants to fight Anderson Silva again I guess he sees his career winding down, he wants Anderson in Rio, those two are probably the biggest names in Brazilian MMA, so it kind of makes sense.

Whittaker wants Mousassi or Rockhold, Mousasi probably makes the most sense and do Rockhold-Jacare on the Bisping undercard.

Great main event! I've no interest in Silva's losing streak continuing tbh so Whittaker v Mousasi is the fight to make.  Middleweight division is on fire right now. 

After a later than planned night in Melbourne on Saturday - sitting through the entire was tough but enjoyed the performances of Pedro, Volkanovski, Nguyen and Dan Kelly. I initially had Kelly as value at around the 2/1 mark with the bookies but when I seen him limp out to the cage I feared for him and backed the Camozzi KO.  What a disappointing performance from Camozzi who really looks like he could have the athleticism and size to go far in that division. 

• Paid Members

I know there was slight discussion about the quality of the card, which i fully understand but when you see the reaction of the fans towards its home fighters in Australia its hard to believe that the fans are actually bothered, what a reaction for Whitaker, when the ref stepped in the pop was as loud as anything i've heard in MMA all year. The homeguys over there are treated like superstars, great to see.

The actual fight was madness whilst it lasted. I don't know if Brunson has fallen to much in love with getting people out of there early but i can't recall seeing a guy so desperate to finish a fight, his technique went out fo the window and he was just wild. Whitaker had to weather a storm but crisp technique got there in the end. I think a top 5 fight headlining an Australian card makes sense for Whitaker, it'll do big business in Oz.

I only saw the main card, few notable performances.

* The Tyson Pedro fight was fun whilst it lasted. He's green as grass but i imagine he'll be a staple of Oz cards going forward, charismatic guy. Glad he got his 50 G's too.

* Alex Volkanovski had to be the find of the card, guy looks an absolute tank but has to step down to 145. Could be a dark horse going into 2017.

* Has there been word on what was wrong with Jake Matthews? looked very down on himself after each round, seemed to be favouring the foot and you could tell by his corners reaction that they knew something was wrong. I actually thought Matthews should have got the nod but it was a derailing fight. Matthews is paying the price now for being thrown in the deep end so early in his career. Perfect example of someone who might need to step down a level to rebuild.

* What has happened to Kyle Noke? After that Peter Sobotta win i remember Joe Rogan being so high on Noke it felt like he might actually be going on a bit of a run at the top 10, he's dropped 3 on the bounce since and hasn't look great in any of them.

• Paid Members

This event signals a landmark occasion for me. It's the first event in the modern era that I had recorded and didn't bother to watch. At all. Not one fight.

I checked the results online and simply deleted the event from my Sky box.

I actually did the same and bizarrely I can't remember if I've done that before either? Could be first for me, and if not certainly it's only happened a couple of times. 

A lot of people shitting on the quality of this fight card, and I think it's down to people just checking the results online and seeing a lot of decisions. To me though, this card is a great example that finishes aren't everything. The first 8 or so fights were decisions, but most were actually great fights, ranging from technical to brawling, bloodbaths, everything.

The top fights on the main card were a bit of a slog, with Noke and Matthews shitting the bed, but elsewhere on the main card, Tyson Pedro and Alex Volkanovski scored great finishes, definitely prospects to watch.

That main event was wild. Not quite Silva vs. Stann in craziness, but definitely in a similar vein IMO. Just a round of damn chaos.

Nah, haven't seen anything. Just looked like a mental thing, haven't heard about any sort of injury (although obviously his foot got jacked during the fight). Could just be that his head wasn't in the game after his last loss. First time in Vegas and he was dominated by Kevin Lee, looked like he didn't belong. Then he comes back down under to co-main in Rod Laver Arena (which is a very significant venue in Australia), plus it was his home state.

Was disappointing because I feel like he has a ton of potential. We can take solace in the fact that the likes of Max Holloway suffered a couple of defeats early in his career, and things turned out okay for him.

Archived