Survivor Series 2016 discussion

PunkStep

• Paid Members

wwe_survivor_series_2016_official_poster

I know we have a thread for small/shit PPVs, but this is ONE OF THE BIG FOUR remember? To be honest, it's been a B-level PPV for a while but this is the first time in god knows how long that Survivor Series actually feels like a big deal again.

They've made it a four hour show, bundled in an NXT show the night before, brought back a huge name in Goldberg, made Brock turn up to do some work and packed the card with inter-promotional traditional Survivor Series and title matches. I'm really looking forward to it and I can't remember the last non-Mania PPV where I've been interested in every match on the card.

So, onto the card...

Brock Lesnar VS Goldberg

Really, REALLY looking forward to it. The crowd will be interesting and I think contrary to initial fears, Goldie will have the crowd behind him. He's been brilliant during his appearances so far, very convincing on the mic. Another positive is that surely it can't be as bad as their WM20 match. I'm hoping to see two hosses knock fuck out of each other rather than Suplex City. We'll see. I'm predicting a Lesnar win.

Reigns, Owens, Jericho, Rollins & Strowman VS Styles, Orton, Ambrose, Wyatt & Shane

Now that this mythical 'whoever wins the most matches gets 3 draft picks' stipulation definitely isn't happening, it's hard to pick a winner here. I think we'll see seeds sown for some potential WrestleMania feuds in this match and plenty of in-team quarrels. Don't think they'll pull the trigger on a Jericho face turn, although these matches are always a good time to do it. I'll go with Styles as sole survivor.

Charlotte, Sasha, Bayley, Jax & Fox VS Nikki, Lynch, Bliss, Naomi & Carmella

Gotta be a Raw win here, they're far too strong. I can see Nia Jax doing an Undertaker 1990 here, causing destruction before being counted out or something. Charlotte, Sasha and Bayley to win, with Charlotte getting the deciding fall on Becky Lynch and thus taking the credit.

RAW tag teams VS Smackdown tag teams

I don't know who will win this, but whoever will win will tip the scales for their brand to win overall tonight. Raw seem to be much stronger again, but I can see American Alpha having some much needed momentum injected into then, so I'll go with them as the survivors. Looking forward to this mess of a match, I loved the 1988 version at the time. Such quality (and Paul Roma) in that match.

Brian Kendrick VS Kalisto

Unless they do a rematch on Raw and save the title change until then, Kalisto is winning this. Live at 205 is following Smackdown when it airs, so this division is definitely moving over. Kalisto needs this, he should never have been chucked on Smackdown, unless this was an elaborate long-term plan.

The Miz VS Sami Zayn

Miz' title win screams 'transition', Zayn needs a little title run and Smackdown will be nicking the Cruiserweight title- so this should even it out. I think there should be something that results in Zayn jumping to Smackdown anyway, it will benefit him and SD plus keep him away from Owens. Otherwise, surely they'll unify the two midcard belts on Raw? Zayn win.

What do we all reckon will happen? Anyone else really looking forward to our or just me, like some sort of nutter?

I'm fairly hyped up, mainly for Lesnar/Goldberg and just to get these damn survivor series matches (which should be fun) out of the way so the TV is slightly less pants

It'll be interesting if the IC and Cruiserweight title switches. What about Smackdown's midcard? It's fairly small I guess but surely there's some like I guess Ziggler, Corbin, Miz, and lower down the scale Swagger, Crews (who I wouldnt expect makes the cruiserweight division) or if one of a tag team gets injured then that could really screw with some people, unless of course the US title makes a similar transition. If not, then surely finding a reason to draft Zayn over to Smackdown would be both easier and better, I dunno.

Whether the cruiserweights will be better off on Smackdown and this new show remains to be seen. I hope so, I like Kendrick, Cedric, Swann, Gulak, Perkins etc. but weaknesses have been exposed, their characters haven't been gotten over and the storytelling and generally what they've been allowed to do so far (aside from the odd cringey bump thrown into a rushed match) has been nothing like the Cruiserweight Classic, and I really am just impatiently checking my watch at this point waiting for Jack Gallagher and Akira Tozawa to turn up rather than particularly enjoying any of the stories they're trying to tell at the moment

It looked like they were setting up Kalisto/Corbin, so I could see Corbin interfering to cost Kalisto the match. 

As for the IC title, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Zayn win. They'd still have the "out" of the rematch clause, so we could have Miz/Zayn or Miz/Zayn/Ziggler at the next Smackdown PPV (TLC?)

I can't wait for Lesnar/Goldberg, I think the build has been brilliant. 

On the Goldberg crowd reaction front, I did hear a wrestling fan in real life say that the build up has been shite and that Goldberg was another case of bringing back old stars so I'm not convinced he's not in for a rough night.

I'm really looking forward to Survivor Series. Despite people being down on it in recent years- and WWE clearly not giving it the attention it deserves, Survivor Series is one of my favourite events of the year. A really good Survivor Series elimination match (2003, 2005, 2014) can even be more fun than the Rumble sometimes, for me.

Goldberg vs. Lesnar. Obviously massive, obviously the main event. I'm surprised they're rushing Goldberg into this, from return to match it's a short span. Sting had the luxury of appearing at Survivor Series then having 5 months to prepare for Mania. Who knows how long the deal has been in place behind the scenes, but it still seems a bit strange that this is happening at Survivor Series, would have thought it'd be a Mania match for sure, or if they don't want to risk another WMXX debacle (I think it would be fine, different circumstances, but you never know), chuck it at the Rumble in the Alamodome. Maybe that'll be the site of the tie-breaker? I could see that going down and then Bill and Brock split to different Mania matches. I know Goldberg said Brock was "last", but I think the reception has been way beyond what he and WWE expected. I think they ride this wave to a Mania match- maybe Goldberg vs. Taker.

The thing that could get in the way of my fantasy booking? If the match is another stinker. I've enjoyed the build, and Goldberg does look in great shape, but his offense on Rusev and the security guards did look a little shaky to me. Hoping both men bring their A game at Survivor Series, if Goldberg vs. Lesnar can be half of what it was meant to be in 2004, it's big business for everyone.

Then the elimination matches. I like the brand split, and don't mind the idea of Raw vs. SD for Survivor Series matches, but it just feels too soon since the draft. What kind of loyalty can be really built up for Team Red or Team Blue in 3 months? I actually think the other interpromotional matches make a ton more sense, of course the wrestlers would want to take a title off the other show. That little gripe aside, the matches actually look really good on paper. Particularly interested to see if they can avoid making the tag title match a total clusterfuck, 20 guys in the one match, shit.

• Paid Members

Cruiserweight title match - Not likely to be much to write home about but I imagine it'll serve it's purpose and bring the Crusierweights over to Tuesday nights. For monetary reasons and logistically it makes no sense to have the guys have to work Monday and Tuesday. Kalisto wins here.

Women's tag match - I haven't the slightest bit of interest and I can't see it being that good. Raw wins.

Tag team Survivor's match - It'll be all action, 100 miles a minute stuff with little to tie it together I'm sure but should be a fun little match. It won't go as long as it probably could on a long show I don't think. Maybe 25 minutes, but bulked up with individual entrances and overly long talky bits with The New Day, Enzo and Cass and possibly Heath Slater. Raw win here too.

Main event players Survivor's match - Smackdown win it. They kind of have to I think. It should be a great match, amd will go about 45 minutes I think, but the build and stories playing into this match are tripe with this brand warfare stuff. There will be red and blue shirts galore unfortunately but I'm sure there will be some great action to go along with it.

Zayn v Miz. Zayn to win and take the title to Raw. Whether they unify it with the U.S title down the line I'm not sure but I think Miz won the belt on Smackdown to transition to Zayn here. Will be a good match though.

Goldberg v Brock - I've been looking forward to this match more than any match in a long, long time. They got almost all the build spot on (all Goldberg's stuff, and the promo videos with Lesnar were great. The one disaster being Heyman's promo in Minneapolis), and I can't wait for it. I want backstage corridor walk videos, shots of them arriving at the building, warming up, backstage promos, and then a classic Goldberg entrance. A big time feel with the introductions made with both in the ring, follwed by the two of them kicking the shite out of each other. Essentially copy Goldberg v Steiner from WCW. This doesn't need to be more than 12 minutes tops. If it is it'll have went wrong. Short, sweet and violent and it'll be a gem.

Edit: Brock wins but by underhanded tactics.

• Paid Members

I think the women's math will have its moments then Nia Jax will tag in and it'll go to absolute shit. She's absolutely horrible. Every time I see her in the ring I just wish they'd reached out to Kong instead and brought her back to do the same thing, although given the reasons she ended up getting canned from TNA that's not too likely. Hopefully they'll just get on with the matches as I think three matches filled with "Can team Raw co-exist?" would be maybe a little too much to watch.

The actual survivor series Raw V Smackdown matches have little to no interest for me. The only thing on the line is "all the respect", which isn't enough really.

Something bigger needs to be on the line, such as the rumored draft picks, as otherwise why in god name would half of these guys get on with each other/even want to be on the team. Like Bray Wyatt for example, why is he co-operating with this? No idea. Further stipulations should have put in as well, IE "if you don't get along, [X person] will be fired" or something to that degree.

The IC and Cruiserweight matches have consequences, which is interesting. Everything else is just not phasing me at all. Goldberg/Brock will be worth a watch, but the RAW/Smackdown matches = seemingly a waste of time.  

Pretty simple for me this show, I couldn't give 2 fucks, it's bizarre and weird and offends me.

Are they asking ME to pick to a side, to root for a particular show when we know both are controlled by the same person with the same vision, shall I base it on the fact that I like the colour Blue more than Red or vice versa? It's fucking pathetic and has wound me up as much as Wrestling really can, I can't wait til Monday when it's all over, and WWE basically says to us "you know those teams, and those matches, those friendships yeah, well forget them now mate, they all hate each other again". Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to be locked in a basement.

It should have been one lets say 8 man tag match between the brands, babyfaces vs heels from Smackdown and the same from Raw, that gives you 2 traditional Survivor series matches, then just have the rest of the card as per your normal PPV, a Universal and WWE title match, Tag Title match, then the big headliner which will draw folk, Lesnar and Goldberg smacking 10 bells out of each other.

I am hoping they have AJ decide he's too good for team Smackdown and fuck off half way through costing them the match, then Taker follows through on his "hell to pay if you lose" statement and goes after AJ and we get that match at the Rumble, at least give me something positive coming out of this atrocity.

A group of NXT wrestlers to run in during the main 5v5 match and destroy both teams, with HHH as the mastermind behind it (pissed at being sidelined), with Owens siding with NXT, given the way he won the title in the first place.

I don't think that would happen, mainly as NXT is being kept at arms reach from the main roster anyway, plus you'd effectively get Nexus 3.0(?). Triple H is bound to show up, but what his whole motivation is currently, I have no idea.

That's another point, The Universal Title, what a bunch of shite that is. Currently it means sweet FA, and is playing second, or even third fiddle to the US & Women's title.

Of all the things wrestling asks you to suspend your disbelief for, an athletic bragging rights based civil war has got to be one of the easiest. I can't believe it's giving people so much grief. That particular match looks 2016 star studded on paper and hopefully will fly all over the place and go half an hour like an insane version of the Wyatts Vs. The Shield from Elimination Chamber. That and "give me GOLDBERG" (in that same voice Lesnar used in a promo pre WrestleMania XX) and I'm thinking this will be a pretty sweet show.

I ent watched any Raw or Smackdown at all other than Goldie segments either in the build up which is a method of viewing people have been prescribing for ages but I've only completely done this time around, so I'm really looking foward to drinking this in (man) and catching up with WWE on Monday evening.

• Paid Members

I'm actually willing to stay up for this. Which is the highest compliment I can pay a WWE show at the moment. Can't remember the last time I've watched any more than the first half hour since Wrestlemania.

Goldberg/Lesnar seems likely to be absolutely shit, but it's just that off chance we could get something special out of it that'll keep me awake until 4.

Brock v Goldberg feels rushed and would have been better off going on at the Rumble. The team matches have no real meaning as they feel like they've been thrown together but hopefully there will be some moments in them that are worthwhile.

I will stay up and watch it live though just in case something special as Benno above says happens. 

Archived