UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wand nailed it.

I would also add that you can appreciate both aspects of MMA. The pure sporting side, and the prizefighting side. The other week I stayed up with bated breath for the Ward vs Kovalev fight. That was a fight purely for the boxing purist. It didn't feature any significant trash talking. Neither did it generate any serious interest outside of boxing circles. I just really wanted to see who was the better fighter in their particular weight range. I'm not sure what the MMA equivalent would be. Perhaps Overeem vs Miocic, which I really looked forward to - despite it being overshadowed by Punk's unfortunate debut. 

On the flipside is McGregor vs Diaz. Those fights had fuck all in terms of ranking implications. They were very much prizefights - with the pre-fight hype, trash talking and mainstream appeal. It made for a great spectacle even before the first fist was thrown. I loved every second of it. Of course, the lines get blurred most of the time. The McGregor vs Aldo fight was very much a spectacle, while at the same time complying to rankings and the sporting aspect of the game. 

At the moment, there's something for every type of fan in the fight game. 

• Paid Members

Jassmith is talking utter shite.

Other than that, i really soured on Rousey after the loss. The way she dealth with it was just horrible, it pretty much went against everything she stood for. All that "do nothing bitch" stuff that made her this empowering female athlete that thousands looked upto. She lost once and she went and hid. I know losing under that kind of microscope must be incredibly hard going but as an athlete you need to own your losses and stick to your values.

From a fight standpoint, i hope she gets smashed again, but from a human being standpoint it might be best she doesn't because who knows how she might react.

• Paid Members

Come on now, Ebb. That's incredibly harsh. Hasn't Rousey pretty much admitted she was suffering from a devastating bout of depression after that loss? I don't know, but I imagine if you're mental health is in such a way that killing yourself is a logical solution to ending the great life Rousey built for herself, then maybe it's for the best you take a bit of time away from the spotlight and get better. The "Do nothing bitch" was probably finding it hard to get out of bed.

I think her attack on anyone that dared report on the Holm loss is baffling, but I can understand why she took the year off. If the criticism and what not was causing her mental issues, then it's for the best she sits out. People take time out if they're physically done, why not when they're mentally zapped too?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I've never been a fan of Ronda I never thought she was an amazing MMA fighter just a superb Judoist who was able to use her advance skills on a young division. Now that the woman have just about caught up to the men's Won't be an intimidating force like she used to be and people. It just takes one fight to crack the code and everyone will emulate it.

Ronda refuses to evolve as a fighter too sticking with Edmund, who in their right mind, would that they are going great despite having their face smashed in the first.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I've never been a fan of Ronda I never thought she was an amazing MMA fighter just a superb Judoist who was able to use her advance skills on a young division. Now that the woman have just about caught up to the men's Won't be an intimidating force like she used to be and people. It just takes one fight to crack the code and everyone will emulate it.

Ronda refuses to evolve as a fighter too sticking with Edmund, who in their right mind, would that they are going great despite having their face smashed in the first.

What you are saying could be applied to Royce Gracie in the mid-90's - yet no one would say he was a poor fighter. It's best to judge fighters relative to their time, especially in a sport as young as MMA, where scope for evolution is massive. 

Ronda has her shortcomings. Edmund being a big one. But it's not really fair to dismiss her entire career. At the very least, she's a pioneer for her division, and was the best fighter in it for over 2 years. That's not bad at all. 

• Paid Members

Come on now, Ebb. That's incredibly harsh. Hasn't Rousey pretty much admitted she was suffering from a devastating bout of depression after that loss? I don't know, but I imagine if you're mental health is in such a way that killing yourself is a logical solution to ending the great life Rousey built for herself, then maybe it's for the best you take a bit of time away from the spotlight and get better. The "Do nothing bitch" was probably finding it hard to get out of bed.

I think her attack on anyone that dared report on the Holm loss is baffling, but I can understand why she took the year off. If the criticism and what not was causing her mental issues, then it's for the best she sits out. People take time out if they're physically done, why not when they're mentally zapped too?

I said its probably best for her that she doesn't lose the fight in interest of the her well-being.

She ate a big dose of humble pie. It sucks that she went through a state of depression afterwards but i dont think for a single second that Rousey had any sympathy for the say, Meisha Tate after she beat her for a second time. From a sport perspective i believe she dealt with the loss terribly and has done nothing to make me want to cheer her on when she comes back.

• Paid Members

I said its probably best for her that she doesn't lose the fight in interest of the her well-being.

She ate a big dose of humble pie. It sucks that she went through a state of depression afterwards but i dont think for a single second that Rousey had any sympathy for the say, Meisha Tate after she beat her for a second time. From a sport perspective i believe she dealt with the loss terribly and has done nothing to make me want to cheer her on when she comes back.

From anyway you look at it, she dealt with it terribly. Whether that be blacklisting certain people for doing their job, or contemplating killing herself. I don't know, I just choose to show a bit of empathy with her taking the time off, is all. Taking time off to sort out yourself hardly makes a "do nothing bitch" or whatevs. You may be right in that she's a hypocrite, but I don't think it matters.

People do forget that Ronda nearly got the armbar against Holm. In her most humiliating moment she did nearly get the win. 

I'd like to see her win, but I agree it seems a foolish decision to stick with her current team.

Indeed. I watched the fight in the summer and was surprised at how even the contest was for a chunk of it. Similar to Lesnar/Carwin, I seemed to remember it being total McGregor on Alvarez domination, until I watched it back and saw it was more competitive than I remember. Towards the end of the first you can see she is clearly tiring and getting lit up, but the biggest crime is her camp telling her she's doing great and not making the adjustments needed. Rousey instead came out and just charged into Holm's fist for the remainder. Granted, it was a foolish performance on her part that had a devastating ending, but for at least half a round it was very even.

Even with Edmond, though, Rousey is an incredible fighter. Can't wait to see how Nunes and Rousey cope with each others rapid start.

• Paid Members

Even with Edmond, though, Rousey is an incredible fighter.

Yeah, when you look at what Ronda's been able to do even with that monobrowed albatross as her main coach it's pretty amazing. She was a dominant champion despite him whereas I think he thinks it was because of him. Imagine how good she'd have been if she had a Mike Winkeljohn, Ray Longo, Mark Henry or Matt Hume steering the ship, instead of the wallybrain she saddled herself with?

• Paid Members

From anyway you look at it, she dealt with it terribly. Whether that be blacklisting certain people for doing their job, or contemplating killing herself. I don't know, I just choose to show a bit of empathy with her taking the time off, is all. Taking time off to sort out yourself hardly makes a "do nothing bitch" or whatevs. You may be right in that she's a hypocrite, but I don't think it matters

I dont necessarily disagree, i have empathy for anyone who's struggling in that situation. I just expected a little more from Ronda. She's a role model for so many other women/young girls and appeared so strong beforehand, then she faced adversity and she crumbled. I know she's only human but as such an adored public figure i think she should have showed a little more resolve and professionalism. Even from a sports standpoint has she ever given any credit to Holly Holm? I dont believe she has. She's happy to talk down these girls before she fights them and even when she beats them, but when the shoe was on the other foot she just disappeared.

It just didn't sit right with me.

• Paid Members

You're right Ebb in that I don't recall her giving Holm any credit either.

But her slagging off previous opponents is often exaggerated. If you go back over her fights, the only ones she's really talked shit about were Miesha Tate and Bethe Correia. And Tate was her biggest rival and Correia was just as aggressive in the trash talk to Ronda, if not more. She instigated it just as much as Ronda did.

Tate and Correia aside, Ronda hasn't really talked down any of her other opponents. Pre or post fight. She was respectful of Cat Zingano and their hug after their fight actually seemed really genuine to me. She was cool with Carmouche and McMann as well. The only ones she gave shit to were Tate and Correia. And even then, she complimented Tate as a fighter after their second fight. Just said that she has no respect for her personally.

It's easy to hate on Ronda. Even as a fan of hers I totally can understand that. She does herself no favours at times. But I don't think anyone can give her shit really for being a cunt to her opponents. She's no worse than anyone else for that really.

She could've given Holm her props. She doesn't have to but it'd have showed some class in defeat. But everyone's golden girl Miesha Tate was no better, she sulked her way through a few press conferences after losses and barely looked up from her phone.

I was a massive fan of Rousey's when she fought in Strikeforce. Those were fun days. However, I've cooled on her a bit since then. I'm not entirely sure why. I still think she has been great for the sport though, and I hope she beats Nunes - even though I'm not hopeful. 

*edit* Is this a Davis style troll post that I should ignore? I'm tipsy so can't tell.

Who the fuck is Davis? 

Conor isn't bad for the sport (is it even a sport at this point?), but he basically uses the same approach for every fight, and while that may blow some folks hair back, it doesn't do much for me simply because he does it all the time, no matter who he's fighting. I love it when he steps into the cage, he's an exciting fighter to watch and top class.

I get that he's basically trying to be a Gypo version of Floyd and all that jazz, but when you've seen Mayweather do it all on a much larger budget it's not really that impressive seeing Conor batter on about earning £4 million, driving a Bentley and wearing a rented mink coat. Floyd has twelve Bentley's and a pair of shoes that cost more than Conor's entire house probably.

To sum up, if Floyd is the original Jaws movie Conor is the equivalent of shark vs tornado 5 or some shit like that.

And Rousey? Still not seen her fight to be honest. Saw bits and bobs of her get wrecked by Holly Holm, but nothing more. I'm not sure she should even be getting a licence to fight really. The athletic commission is quick to withhold licences based on physical injuries and capabilities. What about mental capabilities?

If all this stuff about Honda threatening to kill herself is true, then surely throwing her back into the cage is the last thing that should be happening? What if she gets smashed and then does something stupid? The question about liability will no doubt be asked then, won't it?

Matt Brown said he felt suicidal as well, it's up to her family or people in her personal life to talk to her about that. There has been loads of drug addicts in the UFC's history, they all still conpeted.

She probably did feel like her career was over, one day she was unbeatable, the next she is finished and getting slagged all over the media, then she probably realised it was one fight she's still more than capable of beating any 135lb Women. She is 7-1 out of the current top 15, hardly some can.

Archived