The drugs don't work.

The Gaffer

My first eccie, had a beautiful night, dancing, hugging pals and strangers, great conversations. The next day I woke up face down on the kitchen floor, went out in pissing December rain to go across the road and buy some cigs and fucking locked myself out of my house. I spent hours out there, my limbs started to go numb and I thought I was gonna get hypothermia, I turned up at a pub briefly but I looked too comical so went back out into the abyss, I even weepily sang some Leonard Cohen (RIP) to myself just for something to do like a pissed hobo or something

Talk about a "comedown"

I was a hideous stereotype on pills. I'd just chew on straws in the corner of the room wearing the big wooly jumper a girl just put around me, asking nobody in particular to play Age Of Love. We made sure our comedown days were great though. Pizza, bag of cans, Con Air/Face Off/GoodFellas. All crashed out as a group. They were honestly kind of heart warming and part of the deal.

I do miss that.

• Paid Members

Pills? Really? I thought proper molly was the thing now. For some reason, the usual coke dealers round here went through a stage of only selling extremely potent molly and it was fucking awesome. Everyone was a lot more chilled out. I guess the margins weren't there though because they're all back to selling coke now.

I try to avoid coke as much as possible. I don't think I've ever done coke without first having consumed alcohol, when it suddenly seems like the best idea in the world. The next day though, when you're nursing your hangover and wondering where you're gonna get that £120 you promised your dealer next Tuesda, then you remember that coke is always a terrible idea.

• Paid Members

That’s why I only take halves at a time. People do give me dogs abuse for it, but it works for me, I’m too old to be double dropping and all that RahRah shite, and I’m nicely loved up for a few hours so I know my limits.

At Digweed I found myself coming down in the smoking area of the Button Factory talking to a load of people as I’d forgotten to ‘top up’ for a while and it was 2am so I just had to do a legger rather than try chase the yokey buzz at the bum end of the night.

Complete contradiction, but I do try be sensible where I can in the situations as one of my best mates is a girl who’s absolutely wild and a serious flirt (Herbie can attest to this as she was at my wedding) so I’m always keeping an eye on her to make sure she doesn’t get into strife, or a dig, or a glass, or some fella thinking she’s easy pickings.

No point in going home to try have a pedal though. Even if pilly willy rectifies itself, you’d be pulling the stomach clean out of yourself for about an hour with no end in sight.

asking nobody in particular to play Age Of Love. We made sure our comedown days were great though. Pizza, bag of cans, Con Air/Face Off/GoodFellas. All crashed out as a group.

That’s where it’s at, right there! I can’t do that anymore. Do be in bed in my das for 5am latest and back out the door and home for 12pm saying “I’m grand, I am.”

I do miss the movies and salty food comedown in good company who understand your sitch.

I haven't done it in a while but me and my mates used to have comedown cuddles with a really soft playlist. Get back from the night, put the playlist on, cuddle up and fall asleep. Cruisin' by Smokey Robinson was a standout track, Comfortably Numb, Even After All by Finlay Quaye and Say Yes by Elliott Smith are ones that spring to mind. Put Bray Wyatt's theme on before too which was nice until the screeching guitar solo.

I love the snug, comfy feel of the bed you sometimes get coming down. I also love the 'jackpot' I rarely get now when you feel a rush from toe to head when you come up.

Archived