UFC 206: Holloway vs Pettis

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Evans/Kennedy is off again, due to the same issue Evans had at 205.

It seemed quite naive from the UFC (and Evans) to just assume the Ontario athletic commission would let something slide that the NYSAC didn't. 

How would it make them look if they ignored something that the NYSAC didn't and then something happened to Evans? 

• Paid Members

What's popular opinion on Romero and doping these days? I found it hard to follow his suspension to be honest ... didn't he just agree with USADA to do a 6 month suspension after contesting the original verdict? He seemed to come out of it in the clear but surely there's no smoke without fire. The guy looks absolutely huge, surely something dodgy is going on there.

• Paid Members

What's popular opinion on Romero and doping these days? I found it hard to follow his suspension to be honest ... didn't he just agree with USADA to do a 6 month suspension after contesting the original verdict? He seemed to come out of it in the clear but surely there's no smoke without fire. The guy looks absolutely huge, surely something dodgy is going on there.

In all honesty, whilst this may be naive of me, I just think he's a physical freak. 

As you can see by recent verdicts, it's hard to get USADA to reduce suspensions down and they did for both Tim Means and Romero. 

They were both able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a supplement they had been taking was tainted.

Romero has gone through Olympic level testing throughout his career too, and whilst recent shit with athletes from the olympics doesn't give you much confidence, he never failed a drug test. 

He's also just got through a recent USADA random testing spell in his lead up to the Weidman fight.

Whilst this may come back to bite me in the arse, I think he's just a genetic freak.

Thinking about it, you may want to put this discussion in the general MMA thread Chunk?

• Paid Members

I can't be arsed to look it up but wasn't the issue with Romero's suspension that the supplement he'd taken contained something dodgy but nowhere on the labelling did it say that substance was in there? So Romero didn't know it was in there.

That's not to say he wouldn't cheat. As you can tell from watching just about any of his recent fights, he's not against a few shady tactics to get the upper hand. But in this case, it was pretty tough to punish him too heavily when the stuff he'd taken contained shit that wasn't declared on the packaging.

Anyway, what's Yoel Romero got to do with UFC 206, Chunk? You seem confused. Been at the dodgy supplements, have we?

• Paid Members

Shit the bed. That TBA is going to be busy.

Who can they even throw in with Rumble? Especially on this notice? Plus he's already pretty much beat everyone worth beating at 205 not named Cormier or Jones. This is proper crap news.

Can we do Rumble vs Bader 2, just to derail Bader again?

Yeah, utter shite in terms of timing.

So who the fuck can you bring in against Rumble? The only halfway viable options are Gusty and Bader. One of whom looked sensationally average in his rebuilding fight, and the other just fought a week ago. Plus Rumble's already battered the two of them already. 

Unless they get it sorted out ASAP, I can see this turning into UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs Holloway very quickly, which is a shame, because the undercard is genuinely full of interesting bouts. Just a shame that without the title fight, not many people will consider buying.

• Paid Members

Gus will be up for it, no doubt. The man's a lunatic. Besides the fact that he'd be motivated for a chance to avenge his loss to Rumble, he's offered to step in on stupid notice a couple of times for really hard fights. In fact, I'm sure when Glover first pulled out of the original date for his fight against Rumble, Gus offered to jump in against Rumble on like a week or two notice.

Unless they get it sorted out ASAP, I can see this turning into UFC Fight Night: Pettis vs Holloway very quickly, which is a shame, because the undercard is genuinely full of interesting bouts. Just a shame that without the title fight, not many people will consider buying.

Yeah, I can see that happening. Probably means the Nunes vs Rousey PPV will become 206 as well. Must be a right ballache changing all the posters and media ads and stuff when things like this happen.

Hmmmm i don't know if the UFC would green light it but Gegard Mousasi? 

I think Mousasi would have to be absolute last resort for them to be honest. Sure, the guy himself has nothing to lose by going back to LHW to challenge for the belt, but they've got Bader/Gusty/Manuwa/Shogun all coming off of wins and I see them being contacted before I think they even consider him. If Mousasi was big on star power, I could see Dana getting behind him for this shot, but his name probably won't add any more PPV buys to this card. Plus a fight on this card would see him fighting three times in three consecutive months, which is a massive, massive ask.

I think Gus has to be the most likely and viable option at the moment. He's coming off of a win, and is probably the best of that bunch. If the main event is anything but "Rumble vs Gustafsson 2" then I can't see them sticking this on PPV.

• Paid Members

Gregard is enjoying a nice purple patch with winning fights and fans. He wanted Kennedy at 206 and offered to fight D.C at 200. 

The chance off a legit monster getting beat by 5th ranked middleweight might not appeal to UFC though. 

I'm down with Gus but he can't be in shape can he?

Archived