Things you may have forgot in Wrestling

Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Rock never seemed to mind dropping shoulders because he probably knew he could bounce back from it off the back of his charisma.

Am I misremembering, or did "Lord Tensai" get a couple of win over John Cena following his "debut" on Raw? And does the stuff between Curtis Axel & HHH count from that spell when he became a "Paul Heyman Guy" under the misguided belief that Paul E. could get people over the way they seemed to think he did for Lesnar & Punk, even though they were already <i>well</i> over with or without Heyman and he kept getting these countout wins and leaving Tripper injured and selling concussions etc? IT lasted about 2-3 weeks, then suddenly Cesaro and Axel weren't associated with Heyman anymore.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This actually could be extended to "shitarses beating stars", to include that time on Raw that Bossman pinned The Rock to set him up for Big Show

What this actually happened? Rocky putting over Bossman clean in 99. Even Rock never had a problem putting people ovee thats almost unfathomable

Just got done watching Survivor Series 98 and there were a couple of details I had forgot happened, first was Shane refereeing the Sable/Jacqueline Women's title match just before he went on to turn heel on Austin, the second was Lawler taking a pot shot at WCW over the Halloween Havoc fiasco the month before and last was the post match stuff with Austin and Rock as I had assumed for years the PPV had gone off with The Mcmahons and Rock celebrating their collusion

Just got done watching Survivor Series 98 and there were a couple of details I had forgot happened, first was Shane refereeing the Sable/Jacqueline Women's title match just before he went on to turn heel on Austin, the second was Lawler taking a pot shot at WCW over the Halloween Havoc fiasco the month before and last was the post match stuff with Austin and Rock as I had assumed for years the PPV had gone off with The Mcmahons and Rock celebrating their collusion

And the giant New Age Outlaws sign that went across an entire block in the crowd and had Road Dogg's whole monologue on it.

I assume considering how vital Austin was to every crowd and every segment back then and how neurotic the company were with this that every live Raw back then ended with a load of off camera stunners and beer baths to send them home happy. Putting it on PPV was certainly an odd choice though.

I mean Rock and the McMahons standing tall is clearly your closing shot. I guess it's the one we've all remembered anyway so it probably matters squat.

• Paid Members

This actually could be extended to "shitarses beating stars", to include that time on Raw that Bossman pinned The Rock to set him up for Big Show

What this actually happened? Rocky putting over Bossman clean in 99. Even Rock never had a problem putting people ovee thats almost unfathomable

Didn’t The Rock do the job for Shane Helms of all people, too?

And the giant New Age Outlaws sign that went across an entire block in the crowd and had Road Dogg's whole monologue on it.

I assume considering how vital Austin was to every crowd and every segment back then and how neurotic the company were with this that every live Raw back then ended with a load of off camera stunners and beer baths to send them home happy. Putting it on PPV was certainly an odd choice though.

I mean Rock and the McMahons standing tall is clearly your closing shot. I guess it's the one we've all remembered anyway so it probably matters squat.

I've never understood why they did that. It's baffling. Did they assume there'd be riots or something so they planned for Austin to return to defuse any situation like that?

You've just turned the number 1b babyface heel in a genuinely shocking swerve, surely you leave people with that image.  Not Austin shuffling out and taking the attention. That sort of thing used to really annoy me about Austin back then although of course like you said it didn't really matter in the end.

• Paid Members

Didn’t The Rock do the job for Shane Helms of all people, too?

Rock was awesome during that period. He seemed to be trying to put over as many people as possible on his way out of the company. Christian probably benefited the most out of it, actually. People tend to forget that it was his brief role as the "Rock's biggest fan", and subsequent attempt to be the new "People's Champion", that led to him becoming "Captain Charisma" and having the best run of his career.

*The Smackdown Junior Division - complete with Lucha Underground's very own Mascarita Sagrada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqc45kgxnzQ

Smackdown was absolutely insane back in the 05-06 days, I loved it. 

On that note...

* Heidenreich was a Road Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnmkVSxK-4c

* Palmer Cannon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMYd7FBZzQ

* There were some bizarre tag teams, like The Dicks and Gymini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJZus5Svac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-XlawdSuCE

* This is a bit later, but Jesse from Jesse and Festus was briefly rebranded Slam Master J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAh88APwTs

* And I can't find any footage of this last one, but at one point in either later 02 or early 03, John Cena introduced "Redd Dogg" as his new tag team partner (Rodney Mack), only for him never to appear on Smackdown again. 

* And I can't find any footage of this last one, but at one point in either later 02 or early 03, John Cena introduced "Redd Dogg" as his new tag team partner (Rodney Mack), only for him never to appear on Smackdown again. 

He also had Bull Buchannan as a manager under the name B2

• Paid Members

The term they used for both Redd Dogg & B2 was "running buddy", as in "those two guys run [hang out, do things] together" but loads of people misheard it as "run-in buddy" and got all lathered up about the fact their were telegraphing that he was going to do run-ins on behalf of Cena, IIRC.

"Slam Master J" was a return to a pre-WWE gimmick for Jesse. Before being a hillbilly, he'd morphed from Ray Gordy to "Ray Geezy", a white rapper gimmick - this was at the height of Eminem's fame.

Rico once beat Ric Flair clean on Raw! Which from what I remember nothing ever came of. This was before his proper singles run too, which made it even more bizarre.

Also, Teddy Long managing the "Reflection of Perfection" Mark Jindrak on Smackdown in-between his runs with Rodney Mack & Mark Henry is one that had slipped my mind.

Also, Teddy Long managing the "Reflection of Perfection" Mark Jindrak on Smackdown in-between his runs with Rodney Mack & Mark Henry is one that had slipped my mind.

If I'm remembering correctly this was actually after his runs managing Mack and Henry. Teddy was drafted to Smackdown and they did this whole thing where he was looking for a client. Spike Dudley wanted to be his client, and this culminated in a match between Teddy and Spike, in which Teddy's new client made himself known: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY45md6_a3E

Archived