Things you may have forgot in Wrestling

Porkchopcash

X-Pac was ace in 1998. By far the coolest aspect of DX and way better than HHH in every way. His return made that new DX in that brilliant segment the night after WM14.

His work is great once he's cleared. He should never be a heel. He's a terrific babyface in peril. He would have been IC Champ deservedly too if Jimmy Korderas hadn't screwed him on Raw!

His entrance at this point was the tits. I've got a lot of time for Waltman even though he was never really 'my' era

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

X-Pac was ace in 1998. By far the coolest aspect of DX and way better than HHH in every way. His return made that new DX in that brilliant segment the night after WM14.

His work is great once he's cleared. He should never be a heel. He's a terrific babyface in peril. He would have been IC Champ deservedly too if Jimmy Korderas hadn't screwed him on Raw!

His entrance at this point was the tits. I've got a lot of time for Waltman even though he was never really 'my' era

I've been watching some of 1998-2000 on the Network and X-Pac's ace throughout. I got sad in 2001 when crowds just stopped caring. One of my all time favourites.

A few years ago I saw an animated .gif on some site of Bret Hart powerslamming someone through a table backstage.

The person he was doing it to had something flapping on his outfit, so I spent ages trying to remember when this was and who could have been on the receiving end. Did he ever brawl with the Headbangers? Was it Undertaker wearing his big leather jacket?

It was a good while before I remembered that he spent two years in WCW, and the recipient was Sting.

I had completely forgotten Bret's entire WCW run.  :duh:

• Paid Members

A few years ago I saw an animated .gif on some site of Bret Hart powerslamming someone through a table backstage.

The person he was doing it to had something flapping on his outfit, so I spent ages trying to remember when this was and who could have been on the receiving end. Did he ever brawl with the Headbangers? Was it Undertaker wearing his big leather jacket?

It was a good while before I remembered that he spent two years in WCW, and the recipient was Sting.

I had completely forgotten Bret's entire WCW run.  :duh:

Sting was in his Wolfpac paint in that spot, wasn’t he?

• Awards Moderator

On the other hand, Dean Malenko isn't over in the slightest.

That I can understand because I found him boring as anything*. I hadn't seen any WCW, didn't see the Radicalz in their first few weeks, and had mostly seen him mixing it up as Light Heavyweight Champion on shows like Metal. In the landscape of WWE at the time he just didn't stand out as anyone interesting.

*I don't anymore, I quite like him now

Agree on the X-Pac love, I thought he was among the coolest guys on the roster, and one of the best guys in the ring in 1998 and 1999 in terms of fun TV matches. Turning heel in late 1999 was the absolute kiss of death for him - he stopped his own personal road and became a lackey. While it meant he got a good run, I thought all three other members got stuck while only Trips benefitted.

Agree on the X-Pac love, I thought he was among the coolest guys on the roster, and one of the best guys in the ring in 1998 and 1999 in terms of fun TV matches. Turning heel in late 1999 was the absolute kiss of death for him - he stopped his own personal road and became a lackey. While it meant he got a good run, I thought all three other members got stuck while only Trips benefitted.

Was it ever explained what his beef with the Undertaker was? I seem to recall an Austin/Taker match, where Xpac ran in and helped Austin win.......although I can never remember why that was.

I would have loved him to stay face, following the DX reunion and gotten into more singles stuff, eventually winning the IC title.

On the other hand, Dean Malenko isn't over in the slightest.

That I can understand because I found him boring as anything*. I hadn't seen any WCW, didn't see the Radicalz in their first few weeks, and had mostly seen him mixing it up as Light Heavyweight Champion on shows like Metal. In the landscape of WWE at the time he just didn't stand out as anyone interesting.

*I don't anymore, I quite like him now

If that was now it would certainly be the other way around.

On the same Raw Billy Gunn just appeared and got decent reactions, I'm suprised people still cared about him in 2001, he must have been well down the pecking order here after numerous failed single pushes.

• Paid Members

Was it ever explained what his beef with the Undertaker was? I seem to recall an Austin/Taker match, where Xpac ran in and helped Austin win.......although I can never remember why that was.

I would have loved him to stay face, following the DX reunion and gotten into more singles stuff, eventually winning the IC title.

He had a little bit of arrogance about him as a heel but everything about him was made for a babyface. His small size, his great selling, his facials, his hot comebacks. He was a babyface. I hated him as a heel before he went to WCW too. They ruined the 123 Kid with that Karate Kid shit but the heel turn killed him dead.

They kept turning him with diminishing returns. No wonder people ended up not caring.

• Paid Members

I was going to start a "Shitarses who've beat The Undertaker" thread ahead of his return tonight but since this one is here, I'll mention it here.

Kama Mustafa pinned the fucker on Raw in 1997. It was just after his return as part of the nation, maybe even his re-debut match.

Also, Taker laid down for Khali on his debut at Judgment Day 2006 (I think).

All the jobs he refused down the years and he did these. Any more? I seem to remember that shitty arse Mr. Kennedy beating him but I think that was just a count out.

Koslov pinned him clean with a powerslam countering old school on Smackdown. That was nuts.

Kennedy beat him in a First Blood match thanks to MVP, so a non-job really. The clean ones floor me. Kama, Khali, Kozlov are the main offenders. I also remember my jaw hitting the floor when Mabel pinned him at KOTR 95, Taker never got pinned back then, and this fat wanker beats him? Because of Kama? Nephew please.

This actually could be extended to "shitarses beating stars", to include that time on Raw that Bossman pinned The Rock to set him up for Big Show

The Rock's booking throughout the 2nd half of 1999 was bizarre.

Put in feuds with Billy Gunn and an absolutely knackered British Bulldog, getting pinned by the likes of Big Bossman and Al Snow.  It was almost like Rocks ability to be bulletproof and stay over no matter what was counting against him and the WWE were taking him for granted.

Archived