Rizin MMA Thread * New Year's Eve MMA!

Egg Shen

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Show from what I seen was all sorts of fun. From the production to bondage-suit ring girls to Joe Warren doing his very best to avoid being contacted by the UFC as Goldberg's subsequent commentator replacement to the fights. It was JMMA~! at it's finest!

From what I caught pretty much everything was worth watching - But my few particular highlights Alyssa Garcia's fight - She's coached by recently popped (Yet again) by USADA Josh Barnett. You know how it is with JMMA and there deafening silence during bouts, however in this case we where enlghtned to a free Barnett coaching session, which included Josh repeatedly screaming "Punch her head off" for a good minute or two as well as informing dear old Alyssa of his opinion on how the fight was playing out, again screaming "you'll lose this fight Alyssa get up!."

UFC Vet Daron Cruickshank sported some memorable Mickey Mouse trunks and ended up in a fun but short lived fight.

Heath Herring also made a entertaining return to MMA in probably my pick of the fight's from yesterday morning. Absolute war of a fight. 

I also enjoyed Cro Cop on the juice. Good times. 

Cro Cop is really at home in Japan. He hasn't lost there in over 11 years, and has rattled off 14 wins since then. The one blemish is a no-contest with Overeem in 2008. Of course, the standard of opponents can be called into question, as can the lack of drug testing. However, he did beat two undefeated Heavweights and King Mo on route to the Rizin Open Weight crown. That's not bad going for a 42 year old who's been washed up since mid-2007.

I watched the highlights on Youtube, For brief moments, I remembered what this bastard was like at his peak in Pride. I used to read articles about him in PowerSlam, and he seemed like one deadly fucker. There was one image that I remember of him towering over Bob Sapp that left a lasting impression. When I eventually saw him fight on tape, he more often than not lived up to his billing, at least before his aforementioned decline in mid-2007. Maybe it was because I was quite young, or perhaps it is product of its time, but I've never been in awe of a fighter like that since. There's been fighter that I have admired, but not ones that I have perceived as being as deadly. Those PowerSlam write-ups about him slaying New Japan talent in squash matches, made him seem like a killer. 

• Paid Members

Pissed off at myself for not viewing this properly. I saw the majority of the first show but then got caught up doing other stuff, id planned on still watching but saw spoilers :(

Crocop though! What a way to finish his career, to think people (including me) were calling for his retirements years ago. This is how you finish a career!

• Paid Members

Ha, I can't even remember where I found it, it's been on my laptop for ages. Think it was on Sherdog actually, I saved loads of photoshops off there back in the day. The only thing the forums on there are good for are the photoshops.

• Paid Members

Ha, I can't even remember where I found it, it's been on my laptop for ages. Think it was on Sherdog actually, I saved loads of photoshops off there back in the day. The only thing the forums on there are good for are the photoshops.

Only just noticed Rashad in the background! It's the Photoshop that keeps giving.

• Paid Members

I watched the highlights on Youtube, For brief moments, I remembered what this bastard was like at his peak in Pride. I used to read articles about him in PowerSlam, and he seemed like one deadly fucker. There was one image that I remember of him towering over Bob Sapp that left a lasting impression. When I eventually saw him fight on tape, he more often than not lived up to his billing, at least before his aforementioned decline in mid-2007. Maybe it was because I was quite young, or perhaps it is product of its time, but I've never been in awe of a fighter like that since.

yeh Crocop in Pride was a special kind of attraction. There'd been some good level kickboxers in MMA before that but Crocop brought a different kind of vibe. It was the takedown defence coupled with the fact that he was the most deadly one strike KO artist in the game, i've never been as nervous watching a fighter than i was when watching Mirko in his prime. It was likely helped by being a product of the time when there wasn't many fighters capable of doing what he could do, but without doubt he was special at that time.

Yeah, everything clicked with Cro Cop. His style of kickboxing worked in MMA, and he was wise enough to cover his bases. His fight with Big Nog in 2003 made both men look like a million bucks. Cro Cop looked like an absolute killer, and Nog rightfully received plaudits for weathering the storm, and pulling off the submission. It was MMA's Austin vs Bret. It showcased the best and worst of both of them, but the best aspects were firmly at the forefront of everyone's mind.

Archived