It sounded good when I read about it...

tiger_rick

I think many will hate me for this but Bayley vs Banks. I saw their matches and it just didn't click with me, I was so disappointing it. It seemed to planned out, a bit sloppy and the matches based out of big spots that while impressive not wow and fuck all happening inbetween. The matches are not bad but not the MOTY that many people say. 

I didn't see ECW for quite a while and don't see how it would appeal to modern fans. It was just a rebellion of what was there however many of the good wrestlers left by 97-98 like Austin and Raven.

Many say RoH that people have mentioned, I think the big thing is that indy matches from 10-15 years ago have aged so badly. They seemed exciting at the time because they were different but age has taken their toll where as the big matches of NWA, WWE, WCW and in Japan have aged so well. I watched an FWA show a few months ago and thought why the fuck was I so in love with this when I was in my teens?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Punk/Joe trilogy in ROH,

This.

Also remember my mates brother shitting eggrolls leading up to Showdown in Coventry over Joe/Punk telling me it was the greatest match I'd ever see live (so far and still to this day Fleisch/Storm in Dublin 2002 is that match), so I was revved up to all fuck for a belter and it turned out bang average at best.

The 6 man Hell In A Cell at Armageddon between as somebody put it on another Thread, forget what one it was, 5 of the biggest stars of the Attitude Era... And Rikishi. Nothing against his induction. The midcarders have played their part and paid their dues too. Would be boring if they were all the multitime World Champs that only got inducted. But who'd have thunk he'd be the first out of them into the HOF? But I digress.

Anyway, I still recall watching one of the buildup episodes of Heat on Channel 4. Wouldn't see the match until a few years later. It's fair to say it did sound good on paper. But watching back, it's easy to see there was far too much going on at once. Particularly when Vince McMahon came out and tried to rip the cage down because he didn't want it happening. Then they escaped because the truck ripped the door off and they started fighting round ringside, the stage and on the roof itself. And by the time Undertaker threw Rikishi off, there were people already back inside and the fight was still going on. That's probably the only time they only needed one camera to follow them after that point. Perhaps unsurprising they never did it again for that reason.

• Awards Moderator

The 6 man Hell In A Cell at Armageddon between as somebody put it on another Thread, forget what one it was, 5 of the biggest stars of the Attitude Era... And Rikishi. Nothing against his induction. The midcarders have played their part and paid their dues too. Would be boring if they were all the multitime World Champs that only got inducted. But who'd have thunk he'd be the first out of them into the HOF? But I digress.

Undigress yourself, because Austin went into the HOF years before Rikishi!

Damn. My memory sucks right now. Nonetheless. My point is salvagable taking into account the remaining 4.

Also, the six man Hell In A Cell is amazing! I think you're referring to my post on Liam's thread about best cage matches. I love that match but then again, I was 15 and stayed up with my brother to watch it and was so caught up in the buzz of it at that time. I'd be interested how it looks to a total outsider or someone just getting in to wrestling now but I love the chaos of it all.

This has got to be Ring of Honour for a lot of people right? Came around at a time where everyone thought wrestling should be super serious and then it was mostly a bit shit at the beginning wasn't it? My memories of the first time I watched RoH are Steve Corino talking about who he was sleeping with on commentary and Jerry Lynn listening to some band and eating a banana like he was in a Carry On movie. Ring of Honour was nothing like it sold itself as at the start.

The first segment in the serious "wrestling as sport" promotion Ring Of Honor featured a gay heel tag team snogging to illicit boos from the fans, getting clobbered by two fatties called Da Hit Squad, and a woman going through a table.

ENDUT, HOCH HECH

Yep, and the Steve Corino call "HE JUST SUPLEXED HIM ON HIS GAY HEAD!!".. but yah, fuck sports entertainment bro.

See, that show had loads of amateurish crap and then you had a blistering main event between Daniels, Bryan & Low Ki in one of the best 3-ways I've seen. Weird ass show.

My answer is probably the deathmatch stuff, as a younger you think it's gonna be a promotion full of Cactus Jack classics, and while it's definitely fascinating to read about - that Ian Rotten podcast that went all Jerry Springer was fucking amazing, aye I really don't need to be seeing that stuff. 

I don't remember seeing an awful lot of FWA, just that I was very excited at first to discover this well-produced UK show on TWC, but I just never bothered with it much from there. Only remember the constant music vids for Alex Shane. Wonder why I wasn't that bothered eh

Japan. Never been able to get into it, even that big tournament with Benoit, Jericho and Eddie back in the day. Tbf i have never stuck with it, but the lack of crowd heat, non english commentary back in the day just ruined it.

Humperdink and Craig de George were a farce on Eurosport commentating as well.

Damn. My memory sucks right now. Nonetheless. My point is salvagable taking into account the remaining 4.

It's not so strange when 3 of the guys are all still active in some or another

Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels, Iron Man match. It's less fondly remembered now, but when I was a young bright eyed wrestling fan in the early to mid 2000s WWE made it sound like the stuff of legend. 

I was massively disappointed when I finally got hold of it, I actually found it really boring. I didn't know who the winner was so the match had that going for it, but even so I got no enjoyment out of it whatsoever. 

Brett vs perfect summer slam 91 read and heard so much about it for years. Finally got around to watching it and couldn't click with it. Felt it never got going past 3rd gear and there wasn't anything special in the pacing etc either. I'm sure in 1991 it was very special in the WWF when it was big man city but a watch 20 years later couldn't cut it

• Paid Members

Fairly random one but Jim Duggan's heel turn in the later days of WCW.

The way I read it was that he came out with Team Canada, clean shaven and cut a promo where he blasted the fans for chanting "Goldberg" even after Goldberg beat the crap out of him during *his* short lived heel run. It sounded like a pretty interesting way to use a guy who'd been stale for at least ten years by that point. Then I watched it:

Duggan did everything I wrote above but as the same old Hacksaw character, complete with goofy faces and 2 x 4. He made the entire thing a joke. He did it on purpose as well. He's said in shoots that they asked him to tone it down and his reaction was along the lines of "If Lance Storm can't keep up with me then that's his problem".

Archived