Good Feuds/Storylines That Fell Off A Cliff

Liam O'Rourke

• Awards Moderator

Lesnar ending the Streak? I'm still waiting for that payoff of "the 1 in 21 and 1" being bested in order to cement a new top guy, but I don't think it'll ever happen now. Long term, ending the Streak hasn't really done anything for anyone. Taker still beats everyone at Mania anyway, Lesnar just beats everyone which they could have done anyway, and nobody else gets a look in. It's not quite falling off a cliff but any buzz it once had has definitely gone.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going with Ultimate Warrior vs Undertaker. I felt like nothing came of the amazing funeral parlour where they put Warrior in the casket. Everybody rushed to get out and save Warrior and even when they did you thought he was lucky to be alive. As a kid I was truelly worried about Warrior and wanted him to get revenge. I think they did a 6 minute Saturday Night Main Event with a DQ finish but that could have led to a big match in my view.

I don't think that really counts. It was a house show feud. It didn't fall off a cliff, it just served its purpose.

Really? When on tv kids were speaking about it at school. Seemed like something really big to me when I watched it. If it was a house show feud then I feel it was a waste. Warrior was a big name face and Undertaker was a scary bad guy.

I agree, I loved the thought of it at the time (although I only read about it in WWF Magazine). But it was designed to draw houses and did really well that summer. If there was any intention for it to have a televised blow-off, it could have happened at SummerSlam.

Yeah, there were a ton of angles in that era which never really had a pay off:  

Taker/Warrior

Shango Warrior

Jake Roberts and Earthquake (Earthquake klilled Damien)

Piper/Flair

I imagine all of these were booked with house shows in mind.  

The streak is a great one. I think now moreso than put Lesnar over that moment was designed to launch the Network with the biggest dare-to-miss-it bang possible. There's nothing wrong with that in practice but as time goes on it looks more and more like a hollow, isolated moment of the past.

• Paid Members

Two potential storylines lately that haven't gone anywhere. Triple H pedigreeing Rollins and Brock hitting Shane with the F5. Triple H hasn't come out and explained his actions, and it seemed like they might been going somewhere with Brock and Shane but that's been forgot about.

I'd be a little more patient with the Triple H/Rollins scenario, which I assume is a WrestleMania feud.

Brock and Shane, I might agree, but I'll still wait till after Brock's 'Mania match is set before writing that one off completely.

• Paid Members

Lesnar ending the Streak? I'm still waiting for that payoff of "the 1 in 21 and 1" being bested in order to cement a new top guy, but I don't think it'll ever happen now. Long term, ending the Streak hasn't really done anything for anyone. Taker still beats everyone at Mania anyway, Lesnar just beats everyone which they could have done anyway, and nobody else gets a look in. It's not quite falling off a cliff but any buzz it once had has definitely gone.

I was thinking about this the other day. It seems obvious to me that Lesnar beating Taker then destroying Cena was all build-up to let Reigns beat Lesnar and be cemented as the top guy until Vince shat himself over Reigns reactions and went with Rollins. I was wondering if they could still salvage something from it through Goldberg; have him beat Lesnar, maybe even a few more people then eventually he lies down for a top new guy (I'd still go with Roman personally). The 1 who beat the 1 who beat the 1 in 21 and 1...

• Paid Members

I'm going for that Shane/Vince storyline from this year's Mania. Basically that bloody lock box and Vince saying "fuck" in that great promo with Shane. It felt massive at the time, to me anyway. I thought "this is it! Vince is finally taking a backseat and letting Shane run the shizzow".

I even went as far as to put 40 quid on Shane to beat Taker at Mania (absolute idiot, I know!). My reasoning was that there was no chance, no chance in hell, no chance in hell in a cell that they would bring Shane back for this epic storyline just to lose to Taker... and that's exactly what happened.

The following weeks on Raw when Vince had to come out and go "you know what Shane, you can run Raw", it was just awful, made zero sense and amounted to fuck all.

This, the second Vince said, "well dam have Raw anyway" the whole story line fell off a cliff and hit every WTF tree on its way down.

• Paid Members

LOD and Demolition. Should've been a massive deal. The originals vs (Vince's) imposters, but by then Ax was a bit buggered. Still no proper big 1 on 1 match. A six man with the Warrior on SNME and that was it.

The rule of Rick applies here:

I don't think that really counts. It was a house show feud. It didn't fall off a cliff, it just served its purpose.

I was gutted they never had a PPV bout, but it was a different age and the house show was king. It wasn't a case of a storyline falling off of a cliff.

• Paid Members

The "who is Vince's son?" angle that Kennedy buggered up. He was fresh, heat magnet and for all the world I though he was going to be the heir apparent.

Then his injury/suspension sidelined that and hornswoggle was revealed. Properly gutted and ended all hopes of Kennedy ever amounting to anything.

• Paid Members

Didn't they try and get something going with Shango & Bret right before Summerslam '92? I seem to remember a WWF Magazine issue with the headline "Hitman Hexed?" on the front, implying that he was cursed by Shango, but don't recall anything else coming of it.

Bret and Shango worked house shows after Bret lost the I title and then after he won the big belt (not planned at the time the feud started) they wrestled for it on the Survivors 92 go-home Saturday Nights Main Event.

The nwo. The nwo was a super hot angle in WCW for over a year and then it faded fast. When Goldberg destroyed Hogan in the dome it should have ended the nwo but they went with nwo time and time again until it meant nothing, culminating in the shitty nwo 2000 borefest.

• Paid Members

The nwo. The nwo was a super hot angle in WCW for over a year and then it faded fast. When Goldberg destroyed Hogan in the dome it should have ended the nwo but they went with nwo time and time again until it meant nothing, culminating in the shitty nwo 2000 borefest.

It should have ended sooner, probably at Starrcade 97. I personally find the nWo dies around the time The Giant joins. But fell of a cliff? It was money for another 20 months. Huge money and huge ratings so hard to argue.

Archived