Goldberg's WWE return: how will it go?

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

It's not about Lesnar needing the win. Neither of them need the win, they will both be fine with a loss

Here is another way to look at it. Batista returned and took a spot that fans felt was earned by a current star and it flopped. It backfired in a big way. Sting returned and was first involved in a match that was purely nostalgia, then did whatever he could to put over the current champion. Rollins injured Sting and they guy was still putting him over as the best going. He had have every right to be upset but he was a class act from start to finish. That is how an old star should be used.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd have thought Lesnar wins at Survivor Series so they can build to a rubber match at some point in the future, but then there'll be smarks the world over saying Lesnar should win as it's not right that he can roll over Randy Orton, but then lose to a guy who's not stepped in the ring in 12 years. I just hope this time it's two big hosses having an arse-kicking contest rather than at Mania 20 when the both of them thought they could put on a clinic, or just decided to stink the place up as they were on their way out.

Lesnar should win the more I think about it. Goldberg winning won't ruin Brock but Lesnar's murdered Undertaker, CM Punk, Cena, Orton, HHH etc in the last few years. Pretty much all WWE's remaining big guns. And it's not like he just got routine clean wins over them. He brutalised them. The first big clean win (probably the last) over Brock needs to go to someone who'll benefit from it more. Nakamura, Joe, Roode - they should all have at least another five years in them. Goldberg winning won't kill the company but it's the right move IMO. As long as Goldberg looks strong in defeat and gets offence in then people will be happy enough.

I wouldn't even mind if they put the title on Brock and had Goldberg win the rumble by eliminating all 29 other superstars one by one. He is probably the only guy that could do it.

The crowd would boo the shit out of that more than the Batista one.

Think it depends how they do it, they will only boo him if the WWE doesn't do the story properly. 

When did wrestling fans stop wanting the toughest/most likeable/coolest wrestler to win, and start wanting the most deserving wrestler to win?

As fans should we not want to see the returning hero slay the beast? Why are we all doing mental gymnastics about which wrestler will 'benefit' the most from a win over Lesnar? And why do we think of this as normal?

• Paid Members

Surely Goldberg hasn't waited 12 years to come back to perform in front of his kid to lie down for Brock?

Really makes little sense considering the meat of his promo last week. He's doing it for the kiddies, FFS.

When did wrestling fans stop wanting the toughest/most likeable/coolest wrestler to win, and start wanting the most deserving wrestler to win?

As fans should we not want to see the returning hero slay the beast? Why are we all doing mental gymnastics about which wrestler will 'benefit' the most from a win over Lesnar? And why do we think of this as normal?

Because we are armchair Vince McMahons dammit.

• Awards Moderator

Lesnar should win the more I think about it. Goldberg winning won't ruin Brock but Lesnar's murdered Undertaker, CM Punk, Cena, Orton, HHH etc in the last few years. Pretty much all WWE's remaining big guns. And it's not like he just got routine clean wins over them. He brutalised them. The first big clean win (probably the last) over Brock needs to go to someone who'll benefit from it more. Nakamura, Joe, Roode - they should all have at least another five years in them. Goldberg winning won't kill the company but it's the right move IMO. As long as Goldberg looks strong in defeat and gets offence in then people will be happy enough.

I think it's gone past that point now. They've had chances to do that with someone before now and they haven't, and I just can't see it happening. They could have done it with Roman and bottled it. They could have done it with Ambrose this year - maybe he wasn't the best option, true, but in the build-up to WrestleMania there were plenty who would have bought into the lunatic overcoming the beast - and that match just turned into your standard Brock win. They could have even done it with Orton to give his credibility a turbo boost and at least have the next-next guy be able to interact with a full-timer. At this point, Brock wins against everyone. It's been over two years since he ended the Streak, and not only did that not kill Undertaker like it probably should have done, but it's not something you can drag out forever. If there was a rub to be given, it's barely a rub this far on. They might as well have the returning superhero beat him, because there's nobody else currently who I could buy doing it, and to build up an NXT guy to do it credibly would take longer than they have patience for. Goldberg should win.

• Paid Members

Hardly anything WCW-related has been booked well since 2001 and I fear this won't be either. Its generally been the case that the WWE's been happy to leave money on the table as long as they get one over, be it Sting, DDP or whatever. They've generally been booked to fail after the initial big pop.

To me, this is a much bigger deal than Sting. I know some will disagree, but whereas Sting was on weekly TNA TV and wrestled at least three UK tours in the intervening years, this is genuinely Goldberg coming out from the shadows for the first time in over a decade.,

The match is a tough one to book though, as Brock is such a special attraction that's steamrolled over everyone, it does seem a bit arse backwards if he's defeated clean by someone we're not even sure looks like a monster any more. That said, it would be such an anti-climax to see Goldy lose on his first match back (which isn't even a Wrestlemania) and ride away into the sunset. (Personally I couldn't care less about Brock being held back to put someone on the current roster over as I only get excited about old wrestlers' returns these days!) 

A possible scenario would be some kind of bollocks finish, leading to months of Brock goading Goldberg into a WM rematch. You could have a massive schmozz (even get some of the old WCW lads involved) or even have Goldberg pin him in the ring after something stupid like Brock accidentally knocking himself out or something.

A possible scenario would be some kind of bollocks finish, leading to months of Brock goading Goldberg into a WM rematch. You could have a massive schmozz (even get some of the old WCW lads involved) or even have Goldberg pin him in the ring after something stupid like Brock accidentally knocking himself out or something.

So something like this then?

Goldberg wins. Brock snaps next week and kills all the boring people on the show going further than ever before.

Brock says he's never losing again. And he doesnt till WrestleMania when some skinny boring fucker who's gonna wrestle for another million years without ever getting over beats him.

Goldberg meanwhile gets a taste for it again and wants one more chance to get it right at WrestleMania and wants to see what the young guys have got in them. He jobs to some boring skinny fucker who wrestles like all the other boring skinny fuckers.

Everyone's happy.

Archived