Goldberg's WWE return: how will it go?

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

I think stupid, entitled, "This Is Wrestling!"-type fans are going to ruin it. They'll eventually turn on Bill because he doesn't deserve it, or whatever, and I'll end up hating them even more.

Yep. It's Boo-berg and Ryback chants at Mania if he sticks around that long. I think he will benefit from the 12 years of good will at Survivors though.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't even mind if they put the title on Brock and had Goldberg win the rumble by eliminating all 29 other superstars one by one. He is probably the only guy that could do it.

The crowd would boo the shit out of that more than the Batista one.

Goldberg will lose to Lesnar then headline the Hall of Fame 2017.

Basically do a Sting, without an injury from Seth Rollins. Lose the big match to a WWE part-timer so Vince can get another over WCW and then to show that he's really not biased against his former rival, throw them into the WWE Hall of Fame.

On a cash vs matches/length of career ratio Golberg must be right up there

He had a load of injury time during wcw run (98-01) got paid for his stay at hone when WCW folded (rumour has it he was on 3m a year from 99 onwards). Had a very lucrative couple of matches in Japan then 1 year on big salary for wwe. 12 years later hes back and must be getting some serious $$$ from the dvd, game, comeback!

Guys career factoring in everything must be about 3 years active tops. Hell its warrior'esque

I'd have Goldberg go over as I think his character and this story needs to see the good guy get the win. Lesnar can still look strong in defeat, maybe even have him kick out of a jackhammer or something. Lesnar can react to his loss by going absolutely mental and randomly beating the piss out of superstars for a while which would eventually lead to somebody standing up to him... Nakamura or Joe maybe ?

Goldberg should lose.

The novelty of old stars coming back isn't what it once was. When we first had guys like Lesnar and Rock come back it was a huge deal, don't get me wrong this is too. But it is diminishing returns each time an old star returns. People picked Bryan over Batista. They wanted the current performer rather than one from a few years ago.

Goldberg is a bigger deal than Batista and there isn't some big star everyone likes right now. But if Goldberg just walks back for a one shot deal and beats one of the biggest part time stars they have, it will be the start of fans turning their back on him. If he comes back and does the job fans will be accepting of him a lot more, he would have their respect for knowing his place in today's climate.

Then at the Rumble have him and Nakamura eliminate eachother, setting up a huge match at Mania where the old guy puts over the young guy. Everyone is happy and Goldberg's kids get to watch him have a huge standing ovation at Mania after losing rather than being booed out the building

Goldberg should lose.

The novelty of old stars coming back isn't what it once was. When we first had guys like Lesnar and Rock come back it was a huge deal, don't get me wrong this is too. But it is diminishing returns each time an old star returns. People picked Bryan over Batista. They wanted the current performer rather than one from a few years ago.

Goldberg is a bigger deal than Batista and there isn't some big star everyone likes right now. But if Goldberg just walks back for a one shot deal and beats one of the biggest part time stars they have, it will be the start of fans turning their back on him. If he comes back and does the job fans will be accepting of him a lot more, he would have their respect for knowing his place in today's climate.

Then at the Rumble have him and Nakamura eliminate eachother, setting up a huge match at Mania where the old guy puts over the young guy. Everyone is happy and Goldberg's kids get to watch him have a huge standing ovation at Mania after losing rather than being booed out the building

I don't know about that. 

I don't think Brock is as popular these days as he has been for the last few years, for me personally I'm sick of the whole suplex city stuff he does now. It's ran it's course, I'm not sure the fans would be upset or outraged if Brock lost to him.

I hope Goldberg wins actually but it's more likely he won't.

I dont watch WWE anymore but I did tune in to watch Goldberg's return and will watch the match with Lesnar. Anyone who says Goldberg should lose are the ones who have ruined wrestling. If you want Brock to beat Goldberg becuase you like Brock more then that is understandable but if your reason is that Goldberg should lose becuase he's been away 12 years and shouldnt beat someone who is unbeatable (at the moment) then I think thats stupid.

I'd say the Bryan situation was quite unique. We've rarely had a new talent so over to that point. They clearly underestimated his support, plus the fact Batista works far better as a heel as he did before he left.

I wouldn't use that as the blueprint for never putting over a returning talent. I think it needs to be taken on a case by case basis depending on who they're working with. In this case I can't really see the benefit of feeding Goldberg to Lesnar. There's a great story to tell of Goldberg coming back for one more match and retiring on a high against all the odds. It should write itself really, especially after Monday night.

• Awards Moderator

If he comes back and does the job fans will be accepting of him a lot more, he would have their respect for knowing his place in today's climate.

What a terrible sentiment. "We'll support you... as long as you don't win." The problem is, you're partly right and there are people who think like that.

The problem with that problem is, over the last week I've heard people talking about wrestling - in public! - who aren't the people you'd normally see talking about wrestling. It's completely about Goldberg being back. It's got people interested in a way I've not seen since Rock in 2011. Those people are going to watch Survivor Series to see what happens. And if the people who agree with your post have their way, the people I'm talking about in this paragraph are going to turn off and not come back again.

I dont watch WWE anymore but I did tune in to watch Goldberg's return and will watch the match with Lesnar. Anyone who says Goldberg should lose are the ones who have ruined wrestling. If you want Brock to beat Goldberg becuase you like Brock more then that is understandable but if your reason is that Goldberg should lose becuase he's been away 12 years and shouldnt beat someone who is unbeatable (at the moment) then I think thats stupid.

Well when you put it like that, it kind of just makes you look stupid.

And if the people who agree with your post have their way, the people I'm talking about in this paragraph are going to turn off and not come back again.

Protect Goldberg in defeat and give viewers a reason to tune back in. WWE just have to book around it.

If old fans are watching Survivor Series their biggest concern should be making it an amazing card top to bottom, featuring all the wrestlers you can watch every week. If at the end, a lapsed fan is going to say "wow I forgot how much fun this wrestling shit is" then its mission accomplished. They can do that with a Goldberg loss easily, but I doubt they will.

Goldberg winning isn't going to bring back old fans for more than one night. Putting on a great show will

• Paid Members

Lesnar doesn't need to win. The story is about Goldberg and he should win in the end.

It doesn't change anything in the long term either. Say AJ Styles eventually beats Lesnar. Kids going "No-one beats Lesnar except Undertaker, Goldberg and AJ Styles! Wow*".

Lesnar kills a fool on Monday night and he's back as over as before.

*Assuming they're too young to remember Lesnar jobbing all over to Triple H and Cena when he came back.

Archived