WWF President Jack Tunney

TheLowdown1987

I love watching old clips of Jack Tunney in his office going over what matches were going to be booked for the next big PPV. What a great character. He made this carny thing called WWF actually feel real and important.

Seeing as they have gone completely in the opposite direction where nothing seems legit and important and have lost  any kind of sense of sporting competition, its nice to doff the cap to old Jack and a bygone age.

jack-tunney.jpg

William Regal's role in NXT is the closest you'll see in modern day WWE and, like Tunney, it's the perfect way to present an authority figure.

When Tunney turned up you knew an important announcement was in the offing. He was as wooden as a fence post but again that was ideal for the role.

• Paid Members

I never knew until recently that he is the real life nephew of Frank Tunney who invested loads of money in to several territories spanning as far back as the 40's.

Anyway, I for whatever reason used to be scared of Jack Tunney. The way Hogan used to talk about him during interviews as if he was the highest ranking official and decision maker (which he was) back when it was all real. His voice... shivers.

• Paid Members

Old On The Take Tunney, as Bobby The Brain used to call him. Didn't they try something similar with Gorilla Monsoon following JAck's retirement/passing? It does add some legitimacy having a completely impartial authority figure.

Yeah Gorilla was presented as legit and similarly great in the role. He was never in any throwaway segments but his shadow was always looming. If someone cheated in a nothing In Your House match Vince would be going "well we'll have to see what Gorilla Monsoon will have to say about this!".

The authority figures are the worst they've ever, ever been since well... the authority. Now they just feel like characters acting the part of their real selves acting the part of someone who makes a few decisions in their allotted shiny office segments. It's fucking useless. 

• Paid Members

WWE are stuck in their rut and I don't see anything changing until Vince goes, but more unforgiveable is how many indies copy it and have to have their commissioner/owner/promoter whatever all over the shows.

It's absolutely top of the list for me of worst things the attitude era gave us.

The thing with the heel authority is, it always degenerates into "Well, I'm your boss, I ain't gonna sack you, I'll just have a match with you at Wrestlemania." Especially in the case of Triple H.

Imagine if, after naming Hulk Hogan as the number 1 contender, Tunney decided to don the trunks against a disgruntled Sid at Wrestlemania because "I'm your boss."

Would love to see a return to the Tunney type of Authority, but it's more than likely never going to happen.

William Regal's role in NXT is the closest you'll see in modern day WWE and, like Tunney, it's the perfect way to present an authority figure.

When Tunney turned up you knew an important announcement was in the offing. He was as wooden as a fence post but again that was ideal for the role.

What did Kevin Nash have against Tunney?

• Paid Members

Why it worked with Jack Tunney was due to the fact that he didn't have many interactions with the wrestlers or managers. His missives were always via pre-recorded video. He said what was him but to happen and that was that. No negotiation, no discussion, just a decision from authority.

I always thought Tunney was at his best around the time of the Hogan-Flair-Taker and Savage-Roberts feuds in late '91.

His delivery in announcing the matches for This Tuesday in Texas was superb, emphasising the THIS to really hammer it home. It's not any old Tuesday in Texas, it's THIS Tuesday in Texas and his interactions with Hogan, Flair, Savage and Roberts were similarly excellent.

Seem to recall he was at ringside for the Hogan-Taker rematch, which was unheard of at that time and you knew something was going to hit the fan when he came out with a bevy of officials after a match and the commentator would say 'that's Jack Tunney, President of the WWF', you knew something big was going to go down.

Because they used him sparingly it always made anything he was involved in a huge deal. I used to love those contract signings in a board room (The Hogan / Warrior one before WMVI springs to mind) with Jack and a load of other 'suits' whilst the two foes glared at each other across the table.

As the saying goes 'You know shit's going down when Jack's in town'

Couldn't Vince play a similar role? All it would need is for him to make the big announcements from a desk in his office in Titan Towers. It would make a change and break up the current boring stuff they are doing on Raw (and Smackdown).

Archived