Kevin Nash

TheLowdown1987

• Paid Members

They seemed to test the water a few times around late 95/early 96. There was the Diesel vs Bret table spot as mentioned. There was also Diesel throwing up the middle finger at the Rumble after costing Undertaker the win over Bret. And of course, the Diesel vs Shawn No Holds Barred match a few months later.

Basically, Nash doesn't get the recognition he deserves for paving the way as a true pioneer of hardcore wrestling.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seemed to test the water a few times around late 95/early 96. There was the Diesel vs Bret table spot as mentioned. There was also Diesel throwing up the middle finger at the Rumble after costing Undertaker the win over Bret. And of course, the Diesel vs Shawn No Holds Barred match a few months later.

Basically, Nash doesn't get the recognition he deserves for paving the way as a true pioneer of hardcore wrestling.

Also the Bret V Bulldog match that turned into a bloodbath in Dec '95.  They definitely turned up the violence factor late '95.

• Paid Members

The SCG timeliness tells the story well of Vince's struggle with himself over being edgy in 1995 and 1996. He was clearly being led, perhaps by Nash and Shawn and Razor, towards an edgier product but just couldn't commit to it having in mind that it might alienate his core, young audience.

• Paid Members

Kevin Nash's finest moment for me will always be the Paparazzi Productions angle in TNA. From the running joke of him accusing Sonjay Dutt of being on steroids to singing 'slave songs' to put off Jay Lethal during musical chairs, the whole thing was a work of comedy genius.

A playlist of the whole thing can be found

Never saw any of that, i'll work through that list.

• Paid Members

The SCG timeliness tells the story well of Vince's struggle with himself over being edgy in 1995 and 1996. He was clearly being led, perhaps by Nash and Shawn and Razor, towards an edgier product but just couldn't commit to it having in mind that it might alienate his core, young audience.

It was a weird time really, wasn't it? On the one hand you'd have stuff like Goldust pushing the envelope, Lawler saying 'fag' on TV and Pillman pulling a gun on Austin. Then it'd cut back to the ring where you'd have a match featuring The Goon, Who, TL Hopper or someone like that. It was a strange period where they were still kind of hanging onto that cartoon era thing where nearly every wrestler's gimmick was a profession of some sort but there were early rumblings of the edgier product which would eventually lead into the Attitude era. And for a bit it overlapped and they were on the same show.

For me, Sid twatting an OAP with a camera then clearly screaming 'FUCK YOU', twice, to Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series in 96 was one of the big turning points. That shit just wouldn't fly a year earlier. Blew my little 11 year old mind at the time.

They're the BEST bits for me too. I love the jusxtaposition of the bright future and the corny past, all in one hour of Raw. It still feels a bit more out of character to have something edgy happening than not, even though it was definitely becoming more apparent. The Nash post-Survivor Series and Ross pre-Razor and Diesel promos are sentimental favourites of mine for that reason. Credit too, to Raw Magazine in '96, which pushed all the right buttons along those lines better than half the telly ever could.

• Paid Members

Last year, after getting the Network, I went back and watched 1996 Raw episodes (so easy being an hour long). The Diesel character was 10 times better than how I remembered his bland babyface run with the world title. I love me some Kevin Nash nWo, but he was equally as good in his heel Diesel run.  I should go back and watch late 95 as that's when his 'black glove' stuff all started wasn't it? He was atrociously booked as the goofy babyface but perfect as a tweener. Possibly the only tweener character that's really worked?

They're the BEST bits for me too. I love the jusxtaposition of the bright future and the corny past, all in one hour of Raw. It still feels a bit more out of character to have something edgy happening than not, even though it was definitely becoming more apparent. The Nash post-Survivor Series and Ross pre-Razor and Diesel promos are sentimental favourites of mine for that reason. Credit too, to Raw Magazine in '96, which pushed all the right buttons along those lines better than half the telly ever could.

Well said. The TV from top to bottom was better in the Attitude Era but when 95/96 broke out little bits of Attitude was always my favourite. It just looked mental. Bret/Nash at Survivor Series and Good Friends, Better Enemies come to mind always. The announce table breaking was insanity back then. Monitors would be everywhere, Vince would be screaming, one of the French announcers would be out for the count and Hugo Savinovich's tummy would be heaving like crazy as he hung halfway off his chair in a knot of wires and format sheets.

Nash is one of those cats that has a reputation as a "lazy" or limited worker, but when you actually go back and dip into his stuff, it's generally pretty good.

GIven how inexperienced he was (as he himself admits) his Diesel run was pretty fun and edgy.  I don't doubt he was utter shit on the WCW house show tour but whenever I see him in a PPV match it's always entertaining and he bumps well for a big guy.

I'm a huge fan of his TNA run, which produced some of the best comedy in all of wrestling and some brilliant big guy/little guy matches with the X Division.  He also had a cracker with Jarrett in about 2005 as well as a good match with AJ Styles.

It really helped when he lost a lot of bulk, he was actually more mobile than he'd been in years.  The last few WWE matches against HHH et al were again, surprisingly good.

His best moment for me, though, was coming back and stealing CM Punk's spot.  Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

• Moderators

Back to what NEWM said - Raw Magazine is not only easily the greatest publication in wrestling history (Second is WOW in 99 with the wanking posters) but possibly one of the greatest things ever from Titan.

• Paid Members

The Young Bucks told a couple of good stories about him on The Kevin Steen Show from their time in TNA.

They also spoke about a random indie show they was working at and a promoter came in to the dressing room and asked Nash to jackknife someone after the main event. Nash had already wrestled and was changing and he half jokingly replied "yeah for 5 grand". The promoter gave him the money straight away without questioning or haggling and Nash went out and jackknifed the guy.

He is a cool fucker. I love listening to him talk

Archived