Eddie Bravo Invitational

Cheapheat

• Paid Members

Polaris 4 happens over here on the 29th, pretty big BJJ show. Lots of MMA guys mixed in with straight BJJ guys again but the name appeal makes me interested in checking it out.

14718622_660517190791546_183985721919551

FIGHT CARD (18:30 UK TIME, PPV through our website)
Vitor Shaolin Ribeiro vs Fernando Terere Augusto
Garry Tonon vs Gilbert Burns
AJ Agazarm vs Minowaman
Jackson Sousa vs Dillon Danis
Nathan Orchard vs Masakazu Imanari
Eduardo Teta Rios vs Charles Negromonte
Dominyka Obelenyte vs Yas Wilson
Tom Breese vs Ben Dyson

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed EBI 9, anyone know why Keenan Cornelius didn't make the card as he was originally advertised? I think they really need better commentators, Nick the tooth can fuck off, and the other guys are dull as shit. I Enjoyed Renato Laranja's guest spot. I would like to say more about the actual event but don't know how to do those spoiler boxes. 

Ahh, well that was easy to work out. Well Toonen was ridiculously impressive. I think everyone should be training leglocks now.  His gym has; Tonnen (3 weight champ,) Cummings (1division champ and the only one to defend his title,) and that Gordon fella (middleweight and absolute champ) These guys are owning EBI right now

Thats cool, I would love to see jacare or Maia in one of these. So I have two questions for the minority reading this; 1, should I make this the submission grappling topic, and 2, does anyone enjoy grappling that doesn't do it either as a hobby or seriously? I'm particular interested in the second question because I kinda feel this sports audience is limited by the amount of people who practise it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

anyone see that UFC fighter Antonio Carlos Junior submitted Garry Tonon with a flying triangle at SUG 3? huge upset.

Feels like a bit of a win for MMA. There seems to be a bit of a rivalry growing between MMA figters and strict BJJ practitioners. Shoeface made reference to it in his post-fight interview:

"I will compete against anybody. Nobody is safe,". "On my best day, I can beat anybody in the world. A lot of high-level grapplers only want to compete against MMA guys in grappling. They should be ashamed of themselves. They know most MMA guys aren't that good at grappling."

The comments above were confirmed later in the night when Dillon Danis called out Jon Jones after beating AJ Agazarm "Jon Jones you are a bitch" i think he said.

Some of it is seeing the value in doing BJJ vs. MMA type fight to sell tickets and create interest in the online PPV's they all seem to be doing. It doesn't really sit well with me to hear someone like Danis call out Jon Jones to a "fight" in which they won't actually be fighting though. If it was more of a sporting callout i'd understand but it almost feels like BJJ guys are hiding behind the ruleset to call out guys to compete.

Nick Diaz was very vocal about it on the Jasta podcast he did, pointing at the grappling match between AJ Agazarm/Jake Shields where Agazarm talked shit going in and claimed he was tougher than Shields. Diaz said it's those kinds of incidents that are the primary reason why he doesn't do BJJ anymore.

It's all good for the sport, at least it gets people talking about BJJ and makes for some interesting rivalries and matchups. Chad Mendes also beat Jeff Glover on the same SUG show.

5892184ea3d2f.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

EBI 11 goes down tonight, apparently it's gonna be a common thing now to run EBI's the night after a UFC PPV. It's notable because it's the first show that's going to introduce combat jiu jitsu rules to certain fights. It's standard EBI rules but with added open hand strikes to grounded opponents.

ebi_11.jpg

Archived