Eddie Bravo Invitational

Cheapheat

I have really enjoyed these shows, especially from number 3 onwards (1 and 2 were way too long!). I think the rules are great and the show is a nice alternative to MMA. The lack of damage fighters take mean this could be a very regular event. I was wondering if anyone else was watching and what they think the ceiling is for a company like this. Obviously I don't think it will go anywhere the mainstream but could still be a successful company.

Also are there any other grappling shows or tournaments you guys enjoy watching?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've planned on watching a few but haven't got around to it. Apparently the EBI is adding palm strikes to it's ruleset next year.

That's a pretty shit idea in all honesty, and will only serve to deter some of the bigger pure BJJ names from taking part.

I think it's fine for a show and will highlight a different aspect of the sport, especially its application in the real world. I think its a conscious way of stopping the dominance of leg locks. I think the format is good as it is and this could be a cool change, I just hope its not a permanent change. For all the sport BJJ guys that won't wanna compete I'm sure the strikes will tempt more MMA guys in, which would be a bigger draw than straight BJJ guys. 

I think it's fine for a show and will highlight a different aspect of the sport, especially its application in the real world. I think its a conscious way of stopping the dominance of leg locks. I think the format is good as it is and this could be a cool change, I just hope its not a permanent change. For all the sport BJJ guys that won't wanna compete I'm sure the strikes will tempt more MMA guys in, which would be a bigger draw than straight BJJ guys. 

It depends, doesn't it? When it comes to grappling I want to see the cream of the crop in the grappling world compete, not some UFC guy who thinks he can win now that he can slap someone upside the head if they try to grab him in a leglock.

It depends, doesn't it? When it comes to grappling I want to see the cream of the crop in the grappling world compete, not some UFC guy who thinks he can win now that he can slap someone upside the head if they try to grab him in a leglock.

True, I wouldnt mind seeing that happen to a couple of tenth planet Emo's though. I see where you are coming from and I agree, but I think its fine for a special event.

Aye, saying that we don't often see the very cream of the crop involved in these tournaments anyway, do we? It's usually the usual crowd of Eddie Bravo pals and his students.

Well some names are missing and 10th planet features heavily, but I don't know how you can say Eddie Cummings and Gary Toonen aren't cream of the crop. Kennan Cornelius is booked too, there are definitely names that should be there (and hopefully will) but I hope that is just part of one comapany becoming the industry standard. Seriously though, Eddie cCummings is surely a contender when you talk about the better grapplers around?

• Paid Members

According to Eddie on the Fight companion the open palms strikes will be in 3 fights whilst the normal participates  in the tournement take a break between the rounds. 

Sounded like theres a few things to iron out and i can't recall him saying he was planning on the whole thing becoming open palm strikes.

Aye, saying that we don't often see the very cream of the crop involved in these tournaments anyway, do we? It's usually the usual crowd of Eddie Bravo pals and his students.

Well some names are missing and 10th planet features heavily, but I don't know how you can say Eddie Cummings and Gary Toonen aren't cream of the crop. Kennan Cornelius is booked too, there are definitely names that should be there (and hopefully will) but I hope that is just part of one comapany becoming the industry standard. Seriously though, Eddie cCummings is surely a contender when you talk about the better grapplers around?

There's been no Andre Galvao, Mendes brothers, Paolo & Joao Miyao, AJ Agarzam, Romulo Barral or Rodolfo Vieira, all of whom have been the main players on the BJJ scene for years now. World champions and household names.

• Paid Members

Household names? That's a bit much.

BJJ is in a weird position where they all seem to desperately trying to turn it into a spectator sport but it's such a niche sport that its hard to crossover. A lot of people believe EBI to have the most viewer friendly style with the overtime rounds and whatnot. Im no BJJ officianado but im fairly sure that the EBI cards are pretty stacked in BJJ terms. Do all these rival companies have exclusive deals with fighters?

• Paid Members

Metamoris is the perfect example of whats wrong with BJJ rules. It's a straight 20 minute match, submission to win. On the last show 6 out of the 7 fights went to a 20 minute draw, as they did at Metamoris 5. Now you can call it pure BJJ all you want but aint no one except for die hard BJJ guys gonna be tuning into watch 6 20 minute draws.

Household names? That's a bit much.

BJJ is in a weird position where they all seem to desperately trying to turn it into a spectator sport but it's such a niche sport that its hard to crossover. A lot of people believe EBI to have the most viewer friendly style with the overtime rounds and whatnot. Im no BJJ officianado but im fairly sure that the EBI cards are pretty stacked in BJJ terms. Do all these rival companies have exclusive deals with fighters?

Household names in BJJ terms obviously, Ebb. Fucking hell man.

And there is no "rival companies", there are BJJ tournaments and events where the fighters sign up to compete for prizes. No one is tied to any particular company in the way an MMA fighter may be tied to the UFC, for example.

The EBI features the guys that Eddie bravo invites to compete, basically. 

Archived