Eddie Bravo Invitational

Cheapheat

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EBI is a very high level show regardless. I like that Eddie actually had ideas that's trying to broaden the appeal of BJJ.

It's mainly the scoring system that needs altered, Ebb, not the actual sport itself. EBI is virtually 90% of the way there with their current system that encourages more submission-based guys to go for the attack.

The striking aspect is something I'm not keen on, as it changes the actual framework of the BJJ match in itself, leading to me asking when it eventually becomes a Pancreas-style hybrid rather than actual BJJ?

BJJ outside of sub only is a dire affair. The points system is largely to blame for that. Not many competitors are willing to risk going balls out for the submission to get swept on the counter and held down for the points victory.

Lower level is even worse, I've saw people win entire brackets with just a decent double leg and a pass to side control, no submission attempt at all throughout the entirety.

BJJ outside of sub only is a dire affair. The points system is largely to blame for that. Not many competitors are willing to risk going balls out for the submission to get swept on the counter and held down for the points victory.

Lower level is even worse, I've saw people win entire brackets with just a decent double leg and a pass to side control, no submission attempt at all throughout the entirety.

C'mon, you trying to tell me that you've never utilised the infamous seatbelt position until your opponent either gets tired struggling or simply gives you his neck for the finish?  :laugh:

• Paid Members

EBI is a very high level show regardless. I like that Eddie actually had ideas that's trying to broaden the appeal of BJJ.

It's mainly the scoring system that needs altered, Ebb, not the actual sport itself. EBI is virtually 90% of the way there with their current system that encourages more submission-based guys to go for the attack.

Yeh that's the big issue. Guess you have the purists who want fights to just play out as they would naturally, then there's the people of the mindset that they need to create a system which makes it more exciting.

Im still yet to sit through an entire show, i may try to the next EBI.

I get that, i wouldnt have an issue with them having hybrid style rule fights within a BJJ show though.

Where that may pose problems is that we've had a push from the EBI (and other organisations) in trying to pay BJJ guys well enough that they can compete for a living. How much money would be coming out the pot to pay these "hybrid fighters" to take part? If we're talking actual UFC talent then they won't be coming cheap is my guess.

Will that lead to the actual BJJ guys becoming secondary, financially as well as on the card?

Id not be surprised if many of the straight BJJ guys would prefer the combat rules also.

Also, whats the problem with MMA fighters taking part? A high portion of them are BJJ based.

There's no problem with them taking part in a BJJ competition, but when you change the rules to allow strikes and we see more MMA guys involved it's going to quickly change to a watered down version of MMA, isn't it? Which leads me to ask, what's the point?

MMA fans for the most part don't enjoy a fight when it hits the ground for too long as it is, so why would they enjoy tuning in to see a UFC fighter in what is basically a UFC fight where there are only slaps allowed and most of the action takes place on the ground?

Archived