Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

22 hours ago, Rosler28 said:

I could watch the Usos vs New Day all day long. Quality.

I might be one of the few saying this but since Nakamura has been on the main roster he hasn't lived up to the hype

Most of his NXT run wasn't much cop either, but that fantastic debut against Sami Zayn bought him a lot of goodwill. I see him now as a guy with a great entrance, who will put on a spectacular performance about once every fifty matches.

42 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Most of his NXT run wasn't much cop either, but that fantastic debut against Sami Zayn bought him a lot of goodwill. I see him now as a guy with a great entrance, who will put on a spectacular performance about once every fifty matches.

From his time in NXT I liked his matches with Joe. HIs matches with Roode were fine as well, but nobody is going to have great or spectacular matches with Bobby Roode.

On the main roster his matches with Orton and Cena were good. His matches with Ziggler and Jinder haven't been all that good, but then again no one else is having great or spectacular matches with them either.

• Paid Members
On 11/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, sj5522 said:

coming from somebody who once thought "hmm, Sami Zayn might have a chance with the Rumble this year!!", there's not a chance in hell Nakamura is winning the Rumble

If the Rumble was still "winner gets at the shot at THE TITLE and is in THE MAIN EVENT (i.e. goes on last)" I'd agree with you. But based on last year's appalling decision to have Randy Orton with zero momentum to speak of win the Rumble to the delight of nobody, to then have a terrible midcard title match with Bray Wyatt, given the belt only to facilitate that match and to make it more meaningful than it actually was compared to the likes of Lesnar vs Goldberg, Reigns vs Taker, AJ vs Shane, Owens vs Jericho and Rollins vs Hunter..... yeah, all bets are off.

The best match the SmackDown roster could put on at Mania for both "good match" and "ooooh, spectacle" would be AJ Styles VS Shinsuke Nakamura. Should either of these men have relieved Jinder by the start of the Rumble, it would not shock me in the slightest for the other to win it. Unless Braun wins it, natch.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

I'm calling a Cena Rumble win, for him to beat Jinder at Wrestlemania and break Flair's record. I've been saying it since Jinder won, but they need someone with the belt that people will be so relieved to see lose that they'll forget to get all upset over an arbitrary record being broken by someone they pretend not to like.

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm calling a Cena Rumble win, for him to beat Jinder at Wrestlemania and break Flair's record. I've been saying it since Jinder won, but they need someone with the belt that people will be so relieved to see lose that they'll forget to get all upset over an arbitrary record being broken by someone they pretend not to like.

I called exactly the same thing to be honest, that and Roman/Lesnar as the two main events takes the "must see" element out of Wrestlemania next year straight away.

• Paid Members

Reigns/Lesnar was a belter first time around, but this time it seems preordained, and while I don't share in the old Attitude Era opinion that "unpredictable" is the same thing as "good", modern wrestling fans don't like the feeling that they're being spoonfed or dictated to, and Reigns/Lesnar has been quite obviously set in stone.

The first match between those two I think was really the last moment when I think they really could have made Reigns the top guy without resorting to turning him heel (which they absolutely should have done after the Undertaker match), as most of the backlash against Reigns at the time was for not being Daniel Bryan, rather than just the mass rejection of him that's come since, and Lesnar still had enough of an aura of legitimacy around him that any wrestler holding their own against him in a hard-hitting match would come out of it looking like a star, let alone someone actually beating him. That they threw away that opportunity in favour of the Rollins cash-in makes sense if you assume there was another opportunity to make Reigns the true top guy just around the corner, but in truth there really wasn't, and still hasn't been.

I think it's starting to really show how much they've been reliant on part-timers and old faces to sell Wrestlemania over the past four or five years, and how few stars they've managed to make because they've been so committed to the Roman Reigns project. The last four or five years', the marquee matches at Wrestlemania have featured Lesnar, Triple H, The Undertaker, Sting, Batista, Shane McMahon, Goldberg, and so on, and those names are dropping off. But at the same time, they've already burned through Cena/Strowman, Cena/Reigns, Lesnar/Strowman, Cena/Nakamura, Cena/Styles, Reigns/Styles...while a big match doesn't need to be a "first time ever", it's a struggle to come up with any combination of the current full-time roster that feels main event-worthy.

On top of that, assume that Sting, Undertaker and Goldberg are all actually done, that they're not going to rope in The Rock, Batista or someone like Steve Austin or Shawn Michaels for a big match, and assume that they're not going to get a Ronda Rousey or a Conor McGregor (the former I think might happen, the latter not at all; if McGregor's involved at 'Mania at all in the future, it'll be a Tyson-esque "ringside enforcer", not a match), or some other celebrity or athlete, and what are we left?

Lesnar/Reigns is obvious, Cena/Mahal looks pretty likely...maybe Styles/Nakamura and Ambrose/Rollins, or something like that. Strowman against whoever. A token Triple H match - maybe against Kurt Angle, maybe against Shane McMahon. Is any of that jumping out at you as Biggest Show Of The Year material?

• Paid Members

In fairness, a Reigns win seemed the obvious outcome the first time. The run-in was the only unpredicatable thing about it. And even that was predicted by some.

Sometimes you've got to tell the story you want to tell. I know we don't all agree with it but if that's the direction then it needs to happen.

I'd go heel with Reigns too. Everyone would. But it's not their PLAN. The match should deliver regardless and be a worthy main event. Can't think of an alternative personally.