Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

These split brand pay per views have fallen into the exact pattern as last time.

It's worse than last time because there are so many of them. There's a PPV every 5 minutes.

That's a shame because they are actually trying post-split to establish some new guys, reheat tired acts and create stories up and down the cards. There's just no time to build anything though.

• Paid Members

I know it's early days, but at least last time there were a couple of successes. The Smackdown 6 came into prominence, Matt Hardy Version 1 really caught on, Brock rose to the top and I remember Jamie Noble doing loads of goofy, enjoyable stuff. This time no-one feels like they've been given more fleshed out storylines or characters, or mixed it up with new talent in different or exciting ways. They've just taken matches that used to be on Main Event and put them on the pay per views instead.

No matter how great a story they're trying to tell, midcard Ziggler shouldn't be kicking out of that onslaught. Nobody should. I'd just about accept Taker at Mania kicking out of all that, but not Dolph Ziggler. I know they booked themselves into a corner with his career being on the line, so he was fighting harder than ever before, but we won't see any more of it. He'll be back to trading wins with Baron Corbin in a couple weeks.

This post is bang on. You have Cena get smacked with a chair to the back and then pinned (a Cena who seemingly kicked out of just about everything when he faced Styles before) then have Dolph kick out of every single thing possible. For how good a story this was the last few weeks that just ruins it for me and justifies why I hate him. 

As for the show itself, the main event as a opener was refreshing and got to see this live before watching the rest of the show today without worrying too much about spoilers (you know its a shit PPV when you can scroll through Facebook and Twitter without any spoilers). Couldn't care less about the girls, its much of the same as you see on Smackdown live. I don't mind Corbin slowly going through the field. Tag Match was okay. Didn't even bother with Bray/Orton as its nothing we haven't or won't see again. Harper looked good though, but doubt it will go anywhere. 

I know you could argue this case for most storylines but you do get the impression with Smackdown that every feud is dragged out for three months just because of the thin roster, Miz/Ziggler will no doubt continue as Miz wants his rematch, Bray/Orton is unfinished business, Its bad enough watching the same matches week in week out but for a few PPV's its just tedious. They've done well to make Miz/Ziggler interesting but then ruin it. 

Edited by Briefcase

• Moderators

Meltzer nailed it on Observer Radio. The only character development any of the Wyatt Family have ever had is them either breaking up, reuniting, or endlessly being phased in and out due to injury. It's like a revolving door.

It really is the dirt worst situation too. Luke Harper is a walking million pound note. One of the best in the company, has an inate working charisma, is tall and built, a great look. Could be a real top heel. But while the quite frankly massively inferior Bray Wyatt exists he's forever to be stuck with him.

(Ignoring when they split him from Wyatt and thought going 50/50 with Ziggler was a good idea. That's worked for all of Bachelor's Boy's opponents has that)

Edited by PowerButchi

I do enjoy heel Usos, I have to say. It's nice to see them act so differently. They genuinely look like the can't stand the fans and their look feels super refreshing. I wish Seth Rolling watched Smackdown, he might realise that a turn requires, you know, turning and acting or looking differently.

Completely agree on how good heel Usos are but are we seriously blaming Seth for his slow face turn? You know he probably doesn't get much say in his music and promos etc. They clearly decided not to rush it in terms of having him go full baby face which I do understand to a certain extent. After all that time put into him as the top heel, it would seem a bit false.

Meltzer nailed it on Observer Radio. The only character development any of the Wyatt Family have ever had is them either breaking up, reuniting, or endlessly being phased in and out due to injury. It's like a revolving door.

It really is the dirt worst situation too. Luke Harper is a walking million pound note. One of the best in the company, has an inate working charisma, is tall and built, a great look. Could be a real top heel. But while the quite frankly massively inferior Bray Wyatt exists he's forever to be stuck with him.

(Ignoring when they split him from Wyatt and thought going 50/50 with Ziggler was a good idea. That's worked for all of Bachelor's Boy's opponents has that)

Agreed here really, though I think Wyatt himself is class in theory - the two of them could do something big together that people really get into - Rowan is just a spare part but people care about those two. But I wasn't massively excited to see Harper back even though it's obviously a positive but I remember a similar finish about this time last year when Wyatt was feuding with Roman, that was likely his last PPV win til this week.

Not expected in the slightest but I loved No Mercy. Maybe because of the weird order of matches or that I only really watched the world and ic title matches and skimmed the rest but, those two matches my God!! They were amazing!! I've been down on miz and ziggler for years. Especially ziggler. But the story they told was so well done it's up there with my favourite matches in recent memory. Awesome match and I can't wait to rewatch it.

• Paid Members

What I do like about this roster split is that it doesn't feel like the brands are so blatantly treading water while waiting for the other brand to get their PPV out of the way. That used to do my head in when the original split happened. There'd be 3-4 weeks of absolute nothing booking on one brand, then suddenly some title matches on the show the week the other brand would do their PPV, then the roles would be reversed. I know a six week build to a match that would have originally turned up on an episode of Main Event or Superstars isn't much to get excited about, but it's still better than 3 weeks of treading water and 3 weeks of desperately trying to get people invested in the nothing match. I'm also wondering whether there'll be a big "Nitro finish" on the go-home for Survivor Series as guys in red shirts throw down with guys in blue shirts while the commentators scream about being out of time.

Mick Foley has put it out on Facebook that Sasha Banks vs Charlotte will be the Main Event at Hell In a Cell 

“CHILLS…Forget for a moment about Stephanie McMahon’s jumping high-five or my awkward attempt to hug the#RAW Comissioner. The biggest moment of the night for us came when the #WWE cameras were off, and Stephanie and I just looked at the #HIACposter, realizing that for #WomensWrestling, history is upon us – as Sasha Banks and Charlotte will main event the #HIAC PPV. I am so happy for Sasha, for Charlotte, for all the women who paved the way, and all those who aspire to follow in their footsteps. It is no exaggeration to say that looking at that poster gave me chills…and they were multiplying”

Thats a pretty Big leap of faith in the Women to Main Event a PPV   

• Paid Members

Why the hell not- I don't think the timing has ever been better than right now. It's been a massive feud and this is the ultimate payoff match I've known in women's wrestling (in WWE, at least), what with it being in the cell and all. The women's division is not only over, but it's appreciated in wrestling terms rather than T & A. They were the main event for RAW and it didn't feel out of place. Plus, even if it's the only female main event in the foreseeable future, it gives to credibility the 'revolution' tagline. Besides, is there a more valid main event? Jericho is ace and all, but Owens & Rollins in a main event doesn't grab me.

They deserve it- the triple threat was the best match at WrestleMania and the women had the best matches in NXT last year.

Edited by PunkStep