UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The girl who presented the challenges on the first season of TUF if memory serves. Rachelle Leah came back for a show about a year or so back for some reason, the other Octagon girl (only 2 back in those days) she used to do it with from 2004-2006ish just seemed to vanish.

• Paid Members

I mentioned it in another thread but i'm the opposite, i think Alvarez is all wrong for McGregor. Im predicting an Alvarez TKO down the stretch. If Alvarez fights like he did against Pettis he wins this all day, as much as it pains me to say.

I mentioned it in another thread but i'm the opposite, i think Alvarez is all wrong for McGregor. Im predicting an Alvarez TKO down the stretch. If Alvarez fights like he did against Pettis he wins this all day, as much as it pains me to say.

Interesting that this fight is producing such a varied range of opinions! Will be interesting to see how it plays out!

• Paid Members

Mcgregor hits a lot harder than Pettis though, surely? You have to go back 8 years for a punch-based stoppage from Pettis. I think Mcgregor does to Alvarez what he did to Mendes. Takes the life out of him with an accumulation of damage and then stops him. The question in my mind would be that Alvarez is more durable than Mendes with much better cardio. It's actually a great fight when you try to break it down.

• Paid Members

This fight really can go anyway, but as I mentioned in the other thread, Alvarez gets hit an awful lot, and I don't think he's faced anyone close to the striking level of Mcgregor. Pettis had more than enough opportunities to pull the trigger against Alvarez but he just refused to do so.

I don't see Alvarez submitting Mcgregor so as long as he can stuff a few takedowns, and I think he can, I think Alvarez could be KO'd within 2.

As with David, he's a far better opponent for Mcgregor than an in form Dos Anjos who's ground game is impeccable. 

• Paid Members

Pettis refused to pull the trigger because he feared the takedown and the pressure Alvarez put him under. If McGregor comes out guns a blazing like he did against Alvarez he's gonna get taken down.

• Paid Members

Pettis refused to pull the trigger because he feared the takedown and the pressure Alvarez put him under. If McGregor comes out guns a blazing like he did against Alvarez he's gonna get taken down.

Quite possibly, but he was exactly the same, if not worse against Barboza. He just wouldn't engage like he used to before he got pummelled by RDA. 

The other thing is Alvarez isn't even a top class wrestler either. He has wrestling to call upon, but it's not like he's an NCAA pedigree wrestler. 

Edit:- I need to stress though Egg that I don't think this is a straight forward fight for Mcgregor. It's one of the biggest tests of his career, if not the biggest. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eddie win either. It's just I feel Mcgregor's striking may be too much for Alvarez after all the wars he's been through.

• Paid Members

Would it be fair to say that Alvarez and Nate Diaz have about the same sort of wrestling skill? I.e. not much.

Mcgregor handled the takedown attempts of Diaz pretty well in the second fight.

• Paid Members

Would it be fair to say that Alvarez and Nate Diaz have about the same sort of wrestling skill? I.e. not much.

Mcgregor handled the takedown attempts of Diaz pretty well in the second fight.

Whilst I was negating how good of a wrestler Alvarez is above, he's certainly a level or 2 above Nate Diaz. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, not a chance you can rank Nate's wrestling on a par with Eddie's. Alvarez is a really good wrestler. He's not Yoel Romero or Daniel Cormier Olympian level, sure. But he can wrestle his arse off. He's trained with Frankie Edgar a lot over the years and Frankie can't speak highly enough of Eddie's wrestling. He's not going to dominate another really strong grappler in the grappling, I don't think. Like, I wouldn't fancy him doing well with a wrestling heavy approach against a Dos Anjos and certainly not a Nurmagomedov. But he's effective enough with what he does that if you're lacking at all in that area, he can exploit it, like the Pettis fight. He also fell back on his wrestling in the Melendez fight when his eye was swollen shut and it won him the fight. And Melendez is a solid wrestler. Alvarez didn't dominate but he was good enough to shut Giblert down. He also had his moments on the ground in the Chandler fights.

Nate's wrestling is almost non-existent. He's a good boxer, he has excellent BJJ. But he has little to no wrestling at all. Offensively or defensively. A lot of that is probably because he's so confident in his guard he doesn't care if he's taken down. Nick is the same. Neither of them are big takedown/takedown defence guys.

Archived