UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm not sure why this is relevant but you mentioned it so I'll comment.

There can't be that much time difference in Carmouche and Pennington announcing their sexuality. I would have thought Raquel was the more high profile of the two. Carmouche pretty much got forgotten after the Rousey fight and dumped at the bottom of the prelims a few times while Rocky was consistently on Fox cards or PPV's.

I wasn't saying it was relevant to anything. But Carmouche was the first openly gay fighter in UFC history. Just thought it was a cool little bit of trivia to throw in. Doesn't matter if she was forgotten after the Rousey fight or not, she was still the first. Pennington wasn't in the UFC until much later in the year after TUF 20.

Why does it matter who'd be considered more 'high profile' though? I wasn't rating UFC/MMA gay fighters. Just pointing out that Carmouche has made UFC history in a few different ways - first women's fight with Ronda, first publicly gay UFC fighter, now (if the bout order stays the same) she'll be involved in the first ever UFC fight in MSG.

Amanda Nunes surpasses both now she's champ.

Yeah, she's the first openly gay UFC champion. Point still stands on Carmouche though.

There's loads of openly gay females in sports, not very many men, especially in male dominated sports. I do think it would hurt a male top contender to come out, just by bigots refusing to buy the fight but a decent middle of the pack fighter who could be cut probably gets a few more chances to stay in the promotion, kind of like Darren Young in the WWE.

• Paid Members

Remember when we were all speculating that the reason GSP was stepping away in 2013 might've been because he was gay? It wouldn't shock me if he said he was, to be honest. It'd be interesting to see such a massive star like him come out as gay. Like you say, it seems easier for women to come out. In the UFC alone we've got Amanda Nunes, Liz Carmouche, Raquel Pennington and Jessica Andrade who are all gay and it's no big deal. Was it even mentioned on commentary when Nunes won the title? Think of that, a woman becoming the first ever openly gay UFC champion in the main event of the milestone UFC 200 event! That shatters a few perceived barriers, especially in a 'barbaric' sport like MMA.

• Paid Members

Certainly, on paper, this is probably the best ever. Let's just hope it doesn't go the way of 200, because the hype for this is probably more.

Outside all the great trash talk and what not, the main event is proper intriguing. No idea who will win, but you can see McGregor's cardio coming into play again should he not get it done by the second. 

• Paid Members

I remember there were rumours of GSP and Mandy Moore but don't recall the Rachelle Leah stuff. In fact, I've never heard of GSP having a proper girlfriend. He might just be really private about that stuff and it is none of anyone's business, but you'd think you'd have heard or seen something in that regard. He's been a big name in the biggest MMA company since 2004 and he must've had no shortage of women throwing themselves at him given his money, looks, physique, celebrity, charm and whatever. Yet he's seemingly been the most eligible bachelor on the planet forever.

I don't know. We were all probably barking up the wrong tree on that GSP gay thing. But it ticked the boxes at the time when he said he was stepping away for 'personal reasons' which Dana then said were nothing to do with fighting and that it wasn't as big a deal as GSP thought it was.

I actually think it'd be cool, and pretty fucking hilarious actually, if arguably the most badass fighter on the planet was gay. That and it's 2016 and who gives a fuck?

Remember when we were all speculating that the reason GSP was stepping away in 2013 might've been because he was gay? It wouldn't shock me if he said he was, to be honest. It'd be interesting to see such a massive star like him come out as gay. Like you say, it seems easier for women to come out. In the UFC alone we've got Amanda Nunes, Liz Carmouche, Raquel Pennington and Jessica Andrade who are all gay and it's no big deal. Was it even mentioned on commentary when Nunes won the title? Think of that, a woman becoming the first ever openly gay UFC champion in the main event of the milestone UFC 200 event! That shatters a few perceived barriers, especially in a 'barbaric' sport like MMA.

Not to stereotype, but I think it's kind of expected that a fair portion of female MMA fighters are gay. 

I think it'll be a different kettle of fish if & when a high profile male fighter comes out.

Wasn't the rumours that Ronaldo and Badr Hari were a couple, everybody knows Ronaldo but Badr Hari is one of the scariest kickboxers on the planet and I think either went to jail or nearly for manslaughter.

I've never heard of GSP & Rachelle Leah being together, I do remember her hosting UFC All Access back in the Spike days, GSP talking about his new Russian coach, right before the loss to Matt Serra & Sean Sherk who's kitchen looked like Holland & Barrett's, eating all kinds of crazy stuff and taking about a thousand vitamins, then I think his next fight he fails a steroid test.

Archived