UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who's this tosser?

An Alvarez fan? Rooting against Conor is allowed, Herb.

You assume I called him a tosser for rooting against McGregor? 

Well, why else would you call him a tosser? Especially if you don't actually know who he is?

You're either calling him that because he's miffed at the result of the fight (ie; not a Conor fan). Or because he's black.

Which is it, Herbert? Eh?

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Matt Serra talks McGregor vs Alvarez and McGregor vs Khabib. Then Ray Longo talks McGregor, UFC 205 and rips judge Doug Crosby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=xo_QwQJ7mq8

Didn't realise there was such an issue between Longo and Crosby but apparently it goes back a while. I remember Al Iaquinta once asked for Crosby to be replaced as judge for one of his fights as well.

I've read a few times now about Crosby being shady. There was this quote from Dan Hardy a while back as well. I think he's on about Crosby judging his fight with GSP...

"My grappling coach called me up the week of the fight and said 'Whatever you do, make sure such and such isn't judging your fight'. And I mean, this is a well known judge, he sits in for most of the fights, particularly in Vegas. So I asked him, I said 'What do you mean?' And he said 'Well I've just been chatting to him and he said that you're not gonna win the fight because you're just a thug'. And this guy was judging me the week after that. The week after he made that statement. So he'd already decided that I wasn't worthy of winning the fight. And I was up against it in that fight as well. So I'm stepping in there knowing that I'm fighting my opponent, I'm fighting the majority of the fans because none of them think I'm gonna win and I'm also fighting one of these judges. Judges, A) shouldn't have opinions like that on fighters, based on how they look and how they feel about them and B) to be able to vocalise that to somebody. And the only reason he said it was because he didn't realise that was my grappling coach. But in the back of my mind going into the fight, I knew that I was a judge down straight away. I'm fighting at a handicap, you know? Because this guy don't like me."

Sounds well dodgy.

• Paid Members

Who's this tosser?

Well, why else would you call him a tosser? Especially if you don't actually know who he is?

You're either calling him that because he's miffed at the result of the fight (ie; not a Conor fan). Or because he's black.

His reaction was that of a tosser - no matter who he supported, and no matter what colour his skin is. 

Who's this tosser?

His reaction was that of a tosser - no matter who he supported, and no matter what colour his skin is. 

His reaction was fuck all like that of a tosser. He's disappointed in the result for some reason, nothing more. 

• Paid Members

If he was rooting against McGregor (which is his right, obviously) then I don't really see how else people would expect him to react. If you're disappointed you're going to look disappointed. I probably had steam coming out of my ears when Frank Mir snapped Big Nog's arm, for fuck's sake. If the roles were reversed and it was Alvarez who just schooled and KO'd McGregor, I'm sure Herbie's reaction wouldn't have looked too dissimilar to Odell Beckham's.

Like someone else said earlier in the thread though, I reckon he'd bet on Alvarez.

If he was rooting against McGregor (which is his right, obviously) then I don't really see how else people would expect him to react. If you're disappointed you're going to look disappointed. I probably had steam coming out of my ears when Frank Mir snapped Big Nog's arm, for fuck's sake. If the roles were reversed and it was Alvarez who just schooled and KO'd McGregor, I'm sure Herbie's reaction wouldn't have looked too dissimilar to Odell Beckham's.

Like someone else said earlier in the thread though, I reckon he'd bet on Alvarez.

Exactly. Fans of certain fighters are allowed to look disappointed when they lose, or when they lose a bet without being called a tosser.

I don't think Khabib would be as bad a fight as everyone reckons. For me, other than RDA, who I'd say hadn't peaked yet, he's not beaten anyone near the level of McGregor. Johnson tagged him a few times and I reckon McGregor packs more power than that. McGregor has also proven he doesn't mind bouncing back from being taken down against Mendes and also proven he's hard to take down like against Diaz.

McGregor will also be being honest about the activity with Khabib, last thing he wants is another situation like his Diaz loss with the late replacement.

I don't think Khabib would be as bad a fight as everyone reckons. For me, other than RDA, who I'd say hadn't peaked yet, he's not beaten anyone near the level of McGregor. Johnson tagged him a few times and I reckon McGregor packs more power than that. McGregor has also proven he doesn't mind bouncing back from being taken down against Mendes and also proven he's hard to take down like against Diaz.

McGregor will also be being honest about the activity with Khabib, last thing he wants is another situation like his Diaz loss with the late replacement.

The thing is, it was the actual takedowns that were the concern with someone like Mendes. That's not the case with Khabib, it's what he does to you once you're there. I've rarely seen a fighter who administers so much punishment on the ground as he does.

There's bouncing back from being taken down, and then there's trying to bounce back from an absolute fucking mauling, which is what happens when Khabib gets the takedown.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think Khabib's on another level as an overall grappler compared to Mendes. Mendes is a good wrestler but he only seemed to be able either control or attack McGregor. He couldn't do both, it was one or the other. And when he really tried to attack in the second he lost position and it was all the opportunity Conor needed to escape and get to his feet.

I think where Khabib will be trickier is he can control AND punish his opponents at the same time. That bit in the Johnson fight where he was pulling Johnson's arms from under him every time he tried to get up, then just smashing him in the face, must have been so fucking frustrating for MJ. He could do nothing. Khabib totally big brothered him. The way he just dominated Dos Anjos was mental as well. I think that performance has been underplayed a bit. He took a really, really good grappler and made him look like he didn't have a clue. It's one thing GSP doing that to Dan Hardy but doing it to RDA is just ridiculous.

I get people saying McGregor could catch him. McGregor's striking is so sharp that his punchers chance is higher than most because he's got more chance to land due to his accuracy, speed and timing. But people going 'if Johnson can land shots then McGregor would hurt him' etc, that's assuming that Khabib fights the same way. I highly doubt he'd even entertain trying to test his standup against someone as dangerous as Conor. I think the exchange with Johnson landing shots was slightly overplayed as well. Johnson landed some decent shots and Khabib didn't look exactly comfortable but I don't think he was badly hurt or anything. It was a very brief moment in the fight that, in the grand scheme of the fight, was akin to a wilderbeest hoofing a lion a couple of times before being mauled to the ground and having its innards ripped out.

It's the most interesting style fight in the lightweight division for me. I've no doubt McGregor could hurt him if he connects. He's lethal. But I'd love to see how it'd pan out and what he'd come up with to combat Khabib's style.

Yeah, I think Khabib's on another level as an overall grappler compared to Mendes. Mendes is a good wrestler but he only seemed to be able either control or attack McGregor. He couldn't do both, it was one or the other. And when he really tried to attack in the second he lost position and it was all the opportunity Conor needed to escape and get to his feet.

I think where Khabib will be trickier is he can control AND punish his opponents at the same time. That bit in the Johnson fight where he was pulling Johnson's arms from under him every time he tried to get up, then just smashing him in the face, must have been so fucking frustrating for MJ. He could do nothing. Khabib totally big brothered him. The way he just dominated Dos Anjos was mental as well. I think that performance has been underplayed a bit. He took a really, really good grappler and made him look like he didn't have a clue. It's one thing GSP doing that to Dan Hardy but doing it to RDA is just ridiculous.

I get people saying McGregor could catch him. McGregor's striking is so sharp that his punchers chance is higher than most because he's got more chance to land due to his accuracy, speed and timing. But people going 'if Johnson can land shots then McGregor would hurt him' etc, that's assuming that Khabib fights the same way. I highly doubt he'd even entertain trying to test his standup against someone as dangerous as Conor. I think the exchange with Johnson landing shots was slightly overplayed as well. Johnson landed some decent shots and Khabib didn't look exactly comfortable but I don't think he was badly hurt or anything. It was a very brief moment in the fight that, in the grand scheme of the fight, was akin to a wilderbeest hoofing a lion a couple of times before being mauled to the ground and having its innards ripped out.

It's the most interesting style fight in the lightweight division for me. I've no doubt McGregor could hurt him if he connects. He's lethal. But I'd love to see how it'd pan out and what he'd come up with to combat Khabib's style.

Absolutely. There's no doubt that out of all of the top contenders McGregor is one of the few who most believe could trouble Khabib, along with Tony Ferguson.

It's the fight I want to see, I'm not interested in seeing Conor face Diaz in some sort of dodgy title fight. Nate belongs nowhere near a title fight at this juncture. In fact, it's ironic that both he and his brother are the most vocal about being sold short by the UFC despite them both being given big fights and title shots that they simply haven't earned.

Archived