Who would you put in War Games 2016?

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

As far as I know, War Games isn't coming back. This is totally hypothetical.

I'm spending my Saturday doing transcription work and it is both tedious (because it takes forever) and painful (because I have to listen to my own voice), so I've got the Network's War Games collection on in the background and it got me thinking.

Of all the people in WWE currently, if they decided to do a War Games match, who would you put in there to make it the best possible War Games?

Not the best match necessarily but the best War Games. It's too easy just to throw all the top guys in there.

For my own thoughts, I started with Bobby Roode. He seems a natural fit for that kind of match. I'd put The Revival in there with him, and probably round out a team of four with Samoa Joe. On the opposite side, I'd probably go with John Cena, Enzo and Cass, and … I think AJ Styles even though he's a heel at the moment.

Failing that, reunite the Shield and give them one more person to team with, and pit them against Styles, Balor, Gallows and Anderson, or Wyatt, Rowan, Harper and Strowman.

How would you War Games in 2016?

• Paid Members

Styles, Gallows, Anderson, Kevin Owens & Rusev Vs Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, Cena and Balor. You can tease the tensions between the former Shield members, who may be on the same side but not necessarily on the same page after Rollins' betrayal. The faces could struggle for a 5th man, then have a returning Balor step up, but can they trust him given his history with The Club? There could be a lot of intrigue involved, plus they're all decent enough workers (understatement).

• Paid Members

I don't find Wargames matches anywhere near as interesting as others seem to. There are a couple of very obvious corkers, between guys who'd have a great match any place and any time, but otherwise I find them tedious.

I wouldn't mind a big Raw vs. Smackdown match in a year or so if built right. Could be Wargames I suppose, if it really had to be, but if they could build the reason for brand loyalty then Owens, Jericho, Reigns and Rollins vs. Styles, Ambrose, Cena and Orton could be a cracking match.

Ignoring brand splits i'd have Brock, Styles, Roode and The Revival vs Reigns, Cena, Joe and American Alpha. Paul E would get himself locked in there too. Joe would take a whole bunch of coaxing to get on board, he'd act totally disinterested in helping until Paul and Brock make jabs at him on Raw.

Would just go with Brand vs Brand, Owens heading up one team and Styles taking the other. Raw would have Rollins, Cesaro, Sheamus and Jericho. Smackdown would have Amrose, American Alpha and Ziggler. This is under the assumption they would want other matches on the card, you can't just chuck all the top guys in a gimmick match and have an undercard of dross or you would end up with something like December to Dismember. The face/heel divide is a bit messy but most of those guys play the tweener anyway. Sheamus is the only guy who would be a proper heel

I'd rather Lucha Underground did one. That would be immense. Just for Matanza, Mil and Cage.

I don't think WWE have all the pieces in the right positions right now to do this. Probably the reason they haven't done one or shown much interest in another Elimination Chamber.

It would have to feature Lesnar, Triple H and Joe though. Probably Reigns, Ambrose, Rollins, Owens, Rusev, Styles and Cena. But I don't know how you'd get to a position to have many of them teaming up.

That said, I suppose The Shield, Cena and Samoa Joe Vs Lesnar, HHH, Rusev, Styles and Owens sounds pretty bang tidy!

NXT could knock out a good one at the moment with basically the the main top guys. Something like:

Samoa Joe, The Revival, Bobby Roode & Austin Aries

vs

Shinsuke Nakamura, DIY, Hideo Itami & (for the craic) William Regal

You could trade in/out the Authors of Pain, TM61, Tye Dillinger or stick Roode with the faces, your taste depending.

• Awards Moderator

I don't find Wargames matches anywhere near as interesting as others seem to. There are a couple of very obvious corkers, between guys who'd have a great match any place and any time, but otherwise I find them tedious.

Having finished off the collection this evening, the last three are definitely a bit rubbish, 1998 especially, but there's a run of a few once they got the hang of the concept where it was great stuff - those early 90 ones being the peak, but there's something to enjoy in most of them until 96 where it's just another excuse for a nWo beatdown (or a Warrior/Hogan angle).

There shouldn't be one. There are no long, hate-filled feuds between groups in WWE that would justify bringing out War Games. Even if there were, the match wouldn't be that violent, there'd probably be no blood, there'd be little heat going into it...the reasons are endless.

It would be a good starting point to book to though. Decide you want to bring back War Games, set a date for a PPV in the future say 18 months. Try to build two stables to the point that the only way to settle the score is in War Games - neutral ground as it were. Maybe WWE vs NXT. Would be a good idea to give that to a writer and say draw me some money.

I always thought WWF vs WCW in 2001 should have ended with a War Games PPV special in the same way it began with Invasion.

Austin/Rock/Angle/HHH/Undertaker vs Hogan/Hall/Nash/Sting/Flair

• Moderators

There shouldn't be one. There are no long, hate-filled feuds between groups in WWE that would justify bringing out War Games. Even if there were, the match wouldn't be that violent, there'd probably be no blood, there'd be little heat going into it...the reasons are endless.

This man knows.

It would be a good starting point to book to though. Decide you want to bring back War Games, set a date for a PPV in the future say 18 months. Try to build two stables to the point that the only way to settle the score is in War Games - neutral ground as it were. Maybe WWE vs NXT. Would be a good idea to give that to a writer and say draw me some money.

They could do that with Hell in a Cell every year and they almost never seem to try at all. I remember hearing an interview with writers who would come up with detailed storyline treatments that would go on for months, but then Vince would just fuck it off two weeks in, or the day before the show or something. There's no way WWE are sticking to any eighteen month builds for a team cage match.

Archived