WWE Clash Of Champions 2016 Discussion *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Yet people are still somehow streaming it illegally. Or at least they tell me they are. I'm not technical enough to know how. I assume it's witchcraft. 

Yep. I would imagine that 99% of those that still stream it illegally will always do so. A few extra PPVs and the odd bit of new programming won't change that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching this, found it a lot weaker than the Smackdown one a couple of weeks ago. That show felt fresh, different, some great booking and moments. This one just felt like a Raw with no breaks or character development. Rollins and Owens don't make good bedfellows at the moment, especially for the story they're telling. Rollins isn't very established as a babyface, and even with the best will in the world, Big Kev isn't an effective heel right now. Maybe if they keep doing the Jericho interference, he can get there, and Seth may even be the right opponent eventually, but we're a long way from there yet. Until they figure that out, they really need Cena or Reigns in the main events to give them any heat.

Gallows and Anderson looked better here than they have so far in WWE. The dominant brawler deal seems like their strong suit, but it's too late in the game. They're not good enough to be the champions, so they're losing before they've had the chance to establish themselves as winners. It's like if Strowman came straight to Raw doing 50/50 booking, then they suddenly decide he should be a monster in a match where he's already booked to lose to Sami Zayn.

Going on to the next PPV, there isn't a huge amount to look forward to. Nothing on this show got me excited to see the continuations of the feuds or the rematches in the cell. I don't see any momentum in the New Day vs Club feud, even if the booking of the match left it open. But who else is there for New Day? Cesaro and Sheamus as a team? I've no interest in Charlotte continuing to feud with Sasha and Bayley, they're at a point where they can keep it from being overdone if they ease off now, and come back to it if this combination is happening at WrestleMania. But if they keep going with it now, I don't know what they've got by then. And they probably have to keep going with it, because there aren't any other babyface challengers. Reigns and Rusev are great and they'll be due a rematch, but their feud took a hit with Balor's injury and Rusev's time off.

I don't necessarily disagree, but every 2 weeks is ridiculous.

They should alternate months or something, because the last thing WWE needed was more content.

It's still one a month for the respective brands though, with the occasional combined supershow thrown in. If you look at it from the angle they're trying to sell it - Raw and SD are the new Raw and Nitro! - it's no different to having a WWE and a WCW PPV to watch each month, and that never felt like a horrendous burden.

I mean, you're still not wrong about WWE not needing more content, but it suits me because the PPV's are what I enjoy most these days. WWE TV has been so mediocre for so long that it's a fast-forward-fest where I don't bother watching a match unless I'm genuinely led to believe it could have some importance (title match, feud blow-off). More PPV's, for me, means more wrestling I'll actually watch. In my mind Raw and SD are now like cutscenes in a game: important in tying everything together, but ultimately secondary.

• Paid Members

To the probable determinant of my health, I usually stay up for WWE PPV’s, whether I’m off work the next day or not – that’s definitely over with this new schedule. I started watching on demand and enjoyed the first couple of matches, but as it got nearer to the end, it dawned on me how little I was interested in the outcome of the two main matches and I turned it off. This is such a badly booked company I don’t think I could have cared any less about either match, regardless of how good the Reigns/Rusev match sounds like it was.

When there’s NXT, New Japan, TNA, Lucha Underground, ROH and Progress stuff that I’ll usually watch at least something of in a given month on top Raw and Smackdown, there’s no way of justifying watching 2 B PPV’s if this is what they’re presenting.

• Paid Members

I was commenting on the current situation with Air Raid the other night. three man announce team sat away from ringside, cruiserweights, Jericho reading from a list during the build to Clash Of Champions, Tracey Smothers getting a namecheck, three man tag champions defending under the Freebird rule. When did WCW win the Monday Night Wars?

Archived