A Prince Among Men

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They theme tune still comes into my head from time to time. I remember nothing else from it except thinking it was shit, especially after the Britas Empire

They theme tune still comes into my head from time to time. I remember nothing else from it except thinking it was shit, especially after the Britas Empire

Fucking hell the dog killing at 5:00 took me by surprise. Was it written by Jim Ross?

Edit: fuck, at 10:00 there's a routine about the young girl not being clever enough to learn German, even if she'd been born in Germany. I've always had an unusually vivid childhood memory of that exact joke being used on the Brittas Empire. Either they re-used the joke or as an idiot ten year old I thought this was the Brittas Empire.

And to think this was one of the reasons Chris Barrie quit Red Dwarf as he didn't like being typecasted. It was shockingly bad.

I remember it getting a lot of promotion before the start but after a few episodes getting moved to a Sunday afternoon slot, usually saved for repeats of As Time Goes By etc. It did get a second series though!!!

It was around this time Craig Charles got his own sitcom, Captain Butler, on Channel 4. Again, absolute crap but nowhere near as bad. Red Dwarf VII had thrust the guys back into the limelight after a few years and TV companies were falling over themselves to have them on their new shows. Anyone remember than awful Sci Fi quiz show Space Cadets?

97-98 the lads from the Dwarf were everywhere. If there was a channel 5 game show with celebrity guests, chances are one of them were on it. It was a boom period for the show. Series VII and VIII were the highest rated shows, merch everywhere, made the cover of Radio Times and even BBC ran a Red Dwarf night including a cooking show with Ainsley Harriet.

• Paid Members

I got to 2:30 when Rimmer started doing jokes about eczema in a bad Mickey Quinn voice. How in the shit this got commissioned for a second series... It's basically one of those Alan Partridge 'TV show idea' bits.

'Uhh,Lynne. Youth hostelling with Chris Eubank and 'Prince Among Men' where Norman Brittas plays Northern footballer Gary Prince'.

Why does he keep crunching his face up like he's walked into a bathroom after the previous occupant has baked a particularly rancid turd? That dog bit...Christ.

• Paid Members

Its even worse that you'd think, which is a bonus. Usually with things like this you go "well, its a bit boring, but not as bad as I thought." This is was worse. There's no gags in it. Makes Red Dwarf VII look like Seinfeld.

Chris Barrie has had some stinkers under his belt. Brittas is unwatchable these days. I tried watching one on youtube about a year ago, and its dreadful. I wasnt a fan the first time around, if I'm honest, so maybe I'm the wrong person to judge it. Anytime Chris Barrie isnt in Red Dwarf, he seems like he's doing some alternate universe sketch on Red Dwarf where's he's still Rimmer but doing a funny voice.

Actually isnt Red Dwarf back? There's adverts for it on telly.

• Paid Members

Shite as I remember. No wonder I thought I'd be able to be a comedy writer when I was younger. 12 EPISODES?! Interesting to note (perhaps not) that the thick receptionist is doing almost exactly the same performance as the thick one in Dinnerladies, screwed up face and everything. 

Archived