The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Something I didn't know existed - American Wrestling Federation. First two episodes uploaded to YouTube by Landy.

From Feb 1995, features Sgt. Slaughter, Greg Valentine, Tito Santana, Mr Hughes, Bob Orton, Koko Ware, Herc, Nailz, Warlord and more. Basically a WCW B Team roster. Presentation is 80s WWF although they have rounds. The fans are being bribed to boo and cheer too. Worth a watch.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally carried on birthday raw withb2003 and 4 completed.

2003 About 2 weeks after mania. The main focus is the rock and Goldberg, Austin being fired by buschpff for lying about his health and the makeshift team of Jericho flair and trips feuding with booker Michaels and the returning tonight Nash.

I didn't watch raw then as I only had sky 1 so smack down was more my thing but overall it was an ok episode. I forgot the Dudley's had a small heel run here helping Venis in his chief Morley run and lance storm fight RVD/Kane which is still an odd team. RVD really did fuck all between 2003 and 2006 didn't he.

Jazz vs Trish was fun and the booking around this time seemed solid with Trish vs the current t heel trading the belt being the long running thing.

The Austin Buschpff angle with JR quitting is bizzare when you think about it. Buschpff is more than justified

Rock is still gold but has to have a match withh Jeff Hardy. I'd forgotten he was still employed this late as I thought he got binned per mania. Was he suspended before mania as I can't think why he didn't work it. Steuner too for that matter.h e is also seeing Trish on camera which was wholly unbelievable. As an adult is like to think I have a slightly less slim chance with Trish than that Jeff.

Goldberg thwarts rocks attacks, this was before the shitty booking.

Finally the main eve t felt weird like they didn't change the plans for early evolution but just threw Jericho in the mix and Nash had to wait to come back an extra week.

Overall not the best so far but then we had 2004

Benoit as champ, the week before backlash. Things were early this year. They did some great face to face interview for the triple threat rematch but man outside small and Canadian crowds he wasn't that over. JR says something during the main event entrances about a respectful applause but I hear bugger all.

Foley is probably the most over face getting G things going for his backlash match with orton.

Shelton has shit generic music but is in the middle of his new uber push.

Christian and heel Trish are fun especially the segment's to with Eugene who is following heels around while regal comically apologises. I've appreciated regal a lot more than I used to. I would happily see him moved up to a GM role on RAW if they binned Steph and let him be in charge.

The only other thing of note was the return of grand master sexy for his 2/3 tv match return. Oh and coach is an over heel. The 2004 downturn is more obvious here than before

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Been watching Nitro - October 5th 1998. It's infamous for the horrible Hogan can see Warrior in the mirror angle. It's not a bad show overall although some of it is rotten, the aforementioned being the worst.

Eddie Guerrero starts the lwo by interrupting a Damien vs. Hector Garza match and recruiting both guys. Bret Hart forming the Hart Foundation - this is not. Eddie is horrible and isn't helped by his terrible mop and the "shoot" comments he has to throw in.

Reid Flair taking down Bischoff is a fun little angle. Reid cuts a decent promo too. He's certainly got more charisma and wrestling ability than David ever had.

How horrific is The Disciple's Stone Cold Stunner? Vince McMahon hit it better.

Decent angle in the first hour when the nWo Wolfpac(k?) run into the nWo dressing room and all hell breaks loose. th sort of angle that should have been done after Starrcade '97 to move the company onto something new. Typical WCW though, no-one sells anything in the brawl. Stevie Ray going toe to toe with Kevin Nash FFS. Scott Norton refusing to look weak for Sting. Good angle though. The one later when the Wolfpack go looking for Scott Hall in bars is anything but though. Horrid stuff and when they finally find him, him and Nash go into a room and the cameras, that have supposedly followed them all across town, stay outside.

Abiding thing I took from this show is just how many guys I really wanted to see progress in WCW. Funnily, I thought the WWF would make stars of all of them considering they were making chicken salad from some real shit at the time. Scotty Steiner, Kanyon, Saturn, Raven, Kidman, Wrath and even Kaz Hayashi. Talent coming out of their arses. I desperately wanted to see those guys and plenty of others doing something that mattered.

I watched the show last night from September 14th when Flair returns. It's still an incredible angle. Watching stuff like that and Goldberg's title wins (US & World) and seeing how much those fans loved that company, it's still astounding that they managed to kill it in 30 months. Madness.

• Paid Members

watched an episode of Primetime from '91 today (Richard Land's channel, great). It was the episode where Flair debuted with Heenan.

Early in the show the opening match was Ricky Steamboat against Colonel Mustafa. Typical fair but i found it strange that the commentary made absolutely no reference of him being Ricky Steamboat or having any history in the promotion, he was simply seen as a newcomer called The Dragon who was seen to have a ton of potential. Also strange to see the Iron Shiek pretty much being reduced to a full-on jobber role as Mustafa...they also made no reference to Mustafa being the Shiek but instead mentioned a 'dark past'.

949b0bb19357955fe8aa078e95941b8a.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Pretty much missed Steamboat's entire WWF run as The Dragon. Saw the 6 man tag from SummerSlam '91 and that was it, I think. He wasn't around long at all in that gimmick was he? Can't have been much more than 6 months or so. 

Worst Hasbro ever too, The Dragon. Jaggedy arse fucking thing. Impossible to play with that figure without hurting yourself. 

• Awards Moderator

I hadn't seen WrestleMania III or similar before Dragon debut and had no idea who he was. The promo videos looked cool. WWF took a lot of flak from Apter mags for sweeping a Superstar's past under the rug. Tony Atlas had a similar treatment. 

15 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I hadn't seen WrestleMania III or similar before Dragon debut and had no idea who he was. The promo videos looked cool. WWF took a lot of flak from Apter mags for sweeping a Superstar's past under the rug. Tony Atlas had a similar treatment. 

Piper sorted out any confusion on his debut at least. 

• Awards Moderator

I just watched: Wyatts v Shield, Elimination Chamber 2014. I had it as MOTY (UKFF narrowly voted the same - what a great in-ring year that was in retrospect) and wanted to revisit it. 

Clearly Shield are the guys and they know it. They are definitely out there to steal the show. The crowd are going apeshit for both guys with natural duelling chants.

For relatively inexperienced wrestlers the match is perfectly paced. They spend an age staring each other down before Ambrose tears into the Wyatts. He's the exactly the right character to break the stalemate. 

I then remembered the match as a non-stop race to the finish but actually there's a slow start building to the hot tag for Roman. Every inch the brooding bodyguard, this character would get over in a heartbeat with the modern crowd. When he explodes out of the corner it's like Hellwig himself. THEN we get the schmozz I remember. It's utter chaos from that point, with topes galore, table breaks and destruction. 

Surprisingly Wyatts win with a pin over Roman, after a great spot of breaking up the Sister Abigail. But all six guys come out the back of this like megastars. If you missed it first time or just fancy a fun watch, revisit it. It's just terrific.